Windows 10: Random loss of hard drive space?

Discus and support Random loss of hard drive space? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Dropbox said something about too little memory and then i checked "My PC" and it said 8GB. Then i searched on my PC if there are files i do not need,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Autperformance, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Random loss of hard drive space?

Dropbox said something about too little memory and then i checked "My PC" and it said 8GB.

Then i searched on my PC if there are files i do not need, i literally come back after 1min and it says 2GB?!

How? I can not think of anything, i don't remember that i installed anything?!

Can someone tell me what this is?

If not, can someone tell me if there is a way to see what was the last thing that needed space on my PC, maybe some kind of "history" for memory like "xy.mp4 - 1GB - 03.15.21 (10:50)" for example or something like this?

Hope someone here knows anything about this Random loss of hard drive space? :)

(english is not my main language if there is someting wrong here in the text)

submitted by /u/Autperformance
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Autperformance, Mar 15, 2021
  2. Snake3169 Win User

Hard Drive Space loss after expanding partition

Okay I have a small problem.

I have a 120 gig solid state hard drive, that I have my OS installed on (Windows 10)

I was going to install windows 7 on a second partition on that hard drive, so I shrank the current partition and it gave me unallocated space.

I had a few people tell me it wasn't possible to install windows 7 on the same hard drive as windows 10... for some reason or another.

So I decided to expand the partition back to its original size (the whole hard drive).

Before I shrunk the partition.. I had 60 gigs left, I shrunk it by 20 to install windows 7 on.

Well after some people told me it wouldn't work. I decide to re-expand the partition to take back up the whole drive.

Problem is, when I did that.. I loss that 20 gigs, it says that 20 gigs is 'used' space now. I tried scanning the hard drive for errors and defragging (won't let me defrag that drive.. I assume cause its either a solid state drive or the windows drive)

I don't know how to get that lost 20 gigs back.

Any suggestions?

Snake3169, Mar 15, 2021
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Hard Drive Space Missing

Hi,

It is possible that hard drive space was missing due to a corrupted file system. To better assist you, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Have you tried deleting temporary files?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far aside from checked the hidden files?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, Mar 15, 2021
  4. **** IC2 Win User

Random loss of hard drive space?

Windows 10 Anniversary: random loss of hard disk space

Since my tablet/PC updated to Windows 10 Anniversary I encounter a random loss of hard disk space. Space on the small SSD is tight for a while and I had about 5 Gb from 100 free. This remained constant for a few days and then on starting up it was down to
    just a few 100 Mb left. No major (visible) file changes caused it, I checked that. After a couple of days with minimum free space I started up again to find the full lost space back again. This has repeated itself ever since. It does never seem to go back
    to 0 bytes, always a few 100 Mb left. System protection is switched of.

What could cause this problem?

**** IC2, Mar 15, 2021
Thema:

Random loss of hard drive space?

1. Random loss of hard drive space? - Similar Threads - Random loss hard

2. Hard Drive space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive space: I have a 128GB SSD Windows 10 home version 22H2 Build 19045.4291 and my programs are installed on.However I am losing fee space on a daily bases, current only 7..0 GB free.Checked Windows folder and have 2 folders SoftwareDistribution 945mb and another...
  3. Hard Drive space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive space: I have a 128GB SSD Windows 10 home version 22H2 Build 19045.4291 and my programs are installed on.However I am losing fee space on a daily bases, current only 7..0 GB free.Checked Windows folder and have 2 folders SoftwareDistribution 945mb and another...
  4. Hard Drive space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hard drive space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive space: My C: Drive is Highlighted,+but full,and i cannot add anything to it.... I have an E: Drive that shows over 931 GB of space,but it is Grey-Not highlighted...seems to be dormant....How do i activate it/add to it ? Thanks John R....
  6. Hard drive space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive space: I have 16 GB of unused hard drive space, yet I get an error indicating that I don't have enough harddrive space to download the upgrade. How much space is required? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-space/37e9202e-eb44-4989-bc99-1b0e6172dcee
  7. Hard drive space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive space: My computer has a 950 gig hard drive. Somehow there is about 860 gig of temporary file useage and I can not see where the space is used at even after using the temporary file clean up function....
  8. RAW Hard Drive Data Loss

in Windows 10 Support
    RAW Hard Drive Data Loss: Windows 10 1909 x64 So I had mounting a Hard Drive to VMware and access the drive through VMware. One day I tried to access the data on the drive and Windows detected the drive as a Raw drive and I had know idea what do so I looked online and people suggested running chkdsk...
  9. no space on hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    no space on hard drive: hello, I have not much space left on hard drive but I don't know what is taking so much space please advice ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-space-on-hard-drive/5d048c6b-e63d-4b69-a5f0-a24668607148
  10. Hard Drive Space loss after expanding partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive Space loss after expanding partition: Okay I have a small problem. I have a 120 gig solid state hard drive, that I have my OS installed on (Windows 10) I was going to install windows 7 on a second partition on that hard drive, so I shrank the current partition and it gave me unallocated space. I had a...