Windows 10: Random MAC address

Discus and support Random MAC address in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Before I upgraded to version 20H2 I was able to apply random mac address to my USB wifi adapter. I can no longer do this. Is there a way to fix this?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JohnShort7, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Random MAC address

Before I upgraded to version 20H2 I was able to apply random mac address to my USB wifi adapter. I can no longer do this. Is there a way to fix this?

:)

JohnShort7, Mar 19, 2021
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Random Hardware (Mac) Address - Windows 10

Second question first: "Is there a list of WiFi adapters that supports random hardware address?"

Maybe. If so, it will be on the internet, so try searching.

"Does it mean I can't change/spoof my mac address even by using third party software or registry editing?"

As you know, MAC addresses are assigned at the factory. But it's not difficult to spoof a MAC address, and you can find detailed instructions on the internet.

Normally, I don't like to send people to the internet if I can explain something on my own. But this - spoofing MAC addresses - is not something I've done myself, nor do I have the interest to do that, so unless someone who knows how joins the thread, it's
    happy hunting to you.

BulldogXX, Mar 19, 2021
  3. dixel0 Win User
    Random Hardware (Mac) Address - Windows 10

Exactly what I suspected!

next question is...does it mean I can't change/spoof my mac address even by using third party softwareor registry editing?

and

is there a list of wifi adapters that support the "random hardware address" feature?

dixel0, Mar 19, 2021
  4. Mala_S Win User

Random MAC address

About MAC Randomization feature

Hello vikasvashishtha,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Random hardware addresses are used to make it harder for people to track our location when you connect to different Wi-Fi networks. To enable the feature, you need to have appropriate drivers installed on your machine. However, to address your
    questions, kindly check with the below mentioned answers:

1. MAC randomization works with all type of networks.
    2. Unless the device is connected to the network/Wi-Fi, it cannot be tracked. The MAC address can be used to track your device as it connects to various Wi-Fi access points. Hence, by enabling MAC address randomization, it is hard
      to track the device. The device can still be tracked using other information.
    3. No, MAC address won’t change after getting connected to 1 network unless you have enabled 'Use random hardware addresses for this network'.
    4. Yes, every network device has a unique MAC address.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Mar 19, 2021
Thema:

Random MAC address

1. Random MAC address - Similar Threads - Random MAC address

2. Random mac address not allowing me to access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random mac address not allowing me to access: I I have Intel Wifi 6 AX200 card please help my laptop lets me turn this on and off but desktop doesnt i dont have work or school account on computer i using...
  3. Random mac address not allowing me to access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random mac address not allowing me to access: I I have Intel Wifi 6 AX200 card please help my laptop lets me turn this on and off but desktop doesnt i dont have work or school account on computer i using...
  4. I can't find random mac addresse option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't find random mac addresse option: I wanted to use the random mac addresses but I couldn't find any where in my windows 11 any help pls???I tried to reinstall the windows but same Issus!!!!...
  5. I can't find random mac addresse option

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't find random mac addresse option: I wanted to use the random mac addresses but I couldn't find any where in my windows 11 any help pls???I tried to reinstall the windows but same Issus!!!!...
  6. mac address

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    mac address: Hi, Good time Why does my system MAC address change every time I install new Windows? I really need my MAC address to stay the same. And this is the third time that it has changed with the installation of the new Windows 10. I participate in courses that provide codes...
  7. mac address

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mac address: Hi, Good time Why does my system MAC address change every time I install new Windows? I really need my MAC address to stay the same. And this is the third time that it has changed with the installation of the new Windows 10. I participate in courses that provide codes...
  8. Random Hardware Mac Address - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Random Hardware Mac Address - Windows 10: Hi has microsoft removed the random mac address option from windows 10? There is no "Random Hardware Address" in my network settingsas indicated by microsoft and it's not clear if this option is available only if the network card and its drivers support it or if microsoft...
  9. Windows 10 , Random Mac Address

Windows 10 , Random Mac Address: Hi, 2.5.0.0 I want a discuss a case for windows 10. I’m trying to find a solution for it so could you please support me. The case is as following we bought a 500 windows license on a dell laptops. All windows have a feature called RANDOM MAC ADDRESS, I know that you can...
  10. MAC Address, MAC ID

MAC Address, MAC ID: Anyone know where I can find my MAC address or MAC ID? I have a Microsoft HP Laptop/touchscreen with Windows 10 and I need the MAC address, Where do I go to find out that information???...