Windows 10: Random Phantom Sound - Can't Find Source

Discus and support Random Phantom Sound - Can't Find Source in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was using a self-built machine running Windows 7. Suddenly, about 3 months ago, random USB device disconnect-like sounds started occurring (sometimes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by myrrh, Jun 22, 2017.

1. myrrh Win User

Random Phantom Sound - Can't Find Source

I was using a self-built machine running Windows 7. Suddenly, about 3 months ago, random USB device disconnect-like sounds started occurring (sometimes 3x in a row, other times not for several hours) - I disabled all system sounds and it still continued, even though I didn't notice any USB hardware blips). Two months ago, I bought the new Intel NUC7i7BNH, installed Windows 10, and within a few hours the issue suddenly started all over again.
    I've recorded the sound. Here's the link: Nuc Sound
    I have replaced or swapped out literally all my hardware, disabled all Windows power-saving settings, turned off ALL Windows system sounds, tested the same configuration on 3 different computers (1 running Win 10, the others Win 7), been on several computer help forums, pretty much eliminated every computer-related fix Google (and several computer advisers) could suggest including testing all USBs and running USBDeview (with no hits) - and the same "disconnect" sound (or whatever it is) continues.
    It's definitely coming through the speakers b/c I can lower the volume. I get no hardware hiccops. The randomness is what is really frustrating. For instance it was silent all yesterday morning, then 3 times in a half-hour, then nothing until this morning - just once - and then suddenly nearly a dozen times in 10 minutes. There is just no pattern - no particular change in electrical usage - and the sound cannot be controlled or even disabled in Windows. The events viewer never shows anything that corresponds to the sounds.
    One hypothesis was that it could be electrical in nature. I tested all the sockets on the circuit (tested fine) and even replaced them. No change. I thought that maybe it could be a firewall issue in my router (notifications???) and disabled it. No change. Someone thought it might be an alert from the router and sent packets to the router to try to replicate the sound. Nothing.
    To summarize... I'm looking for something that (a) sounds like the above; (b) comes through the speakers ; (c) is totally independent of anything I may be doing (or not doing anything) at the time; (d) and is completely random.
    The NUC itself is running great... and I would just like to figure out WHAT the sound is, WHERE it's coming from, and HOW to stop it.
    *I would appreciate ANY direction as this has been very frustrating. Thanks!

:)

myrrh, Jun 22, 2017

2. suddenly, there is no sound on my computer

Suddenly, there is no sound on my computer. I have checked all of the settings and can't find the source of the problem.

JoanAnderson1, Jun 22, 2017
  3. ESET wants me to open a Phantom Account. Is this safe and how will I delete this account?

Eset's Anti-Theft protection creates a Phantom Account (random-named user-account) to protect your real user accounts and help to recover your device if it ever is lost or stolen. Enabling the Phantom Account will provide a notification
    about suspicious activity on your computer to be sent to your email anytime that someone logs in to this account. The phantom account is required to fully utilize all of the Anti-Theft features.

quietman7 - MVP, Jun 22, 2017
  4. MyaP10 Win User

Sounds like a real mystery... My first guess would be maybe a problem with the speakers, i.e. maybe a notification sound of some sort built inside them.

What kind are they?

MyaP10, Jun 22, 2017
  5. myrrh Win User
    AudioEngine 5+. Unfortunately, the problem started well before I bought them.

Again, does anybody recognize that sound I posted above? If I can identify it, I might be able to troubleshoot it.

myrrh, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Random Phantom Sound - Can't Find Source - Similar Threads - Random Phantom Sound

2. Can't find source of BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find source of BSOD: Hi there everyone! so i have been having an issue with my pc of late where i seem to have kept getting BSOD with the error string IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. now i have run through the bellow options and i have the results of each test next to it so you can see what i have tried....
  3. Can't find source of BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find source of BSOD: Hi there everyone! so i have been having an issue with my pc of late where i seem to have kept getting BSOD with the error string IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. now i have run through the bellow options and i have the results of each test next to it so you can see what i have tried....
  4. Can't find source of BSOD i

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find source of BSOD i: Hi there everyone! so i have been having an issue with my pc of late where i seem to have kept getting BSOD with the error string IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. now i have run through the bellow options and i have the results of each test next to it so you can see what i have tried....
  5. Can't find source of BSOD i

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't find source of BSOD i: Hi there everyone! so i have been having an issue with my pc of late where i seem to have kept getting BSOD with the error string IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. now i have run through the bellow options and i have the results of each test next to it so you can see what i have tried....
  6. Windows 10 sound source switching randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 sound source switching randomly: My PC has Windows 10 and time to time it starts to switch sound sources randomly, even for disables audio sources. Reboot helps sometimes for some time, but in some cases it start to switch sound source right away.It really can switch source 5 times in a second. In addition,...
  7. DISM can't find source.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DISM can't find source.: So i've been having some pretty severe issues with Windows recently.https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-freezing-and-crashing-randomly-updated/c2e680bc-e756-4bba-99b4-b69bc2f063dbIt's SEVERLY hindered my ability to do pretty much anything on it.But...
  8. Multiple BSOD. Can't find the source of the problem.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple BSOD. Can't find the source of the problem.: Hi. Not long ago I started having multiple random BSOD: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA MEMORY MANAGEMENT KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED TIMER OR DPC INVALID...
  9. DISM Can't Find Sources

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DISM Can't Find Sources: I've been trying to fix a laptop that got corrupted after an antivirus was running during a windows update. It booted but couldn't get past the login screen. Tried several things to at least get logged on but started focusing more on repairing the corruption off of a repair...
  10. Sound Source

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound Source: Hello! I have an HP Envy TS 17 Notebook. I've recently started using a USB headset, and had to change the primary device for sound to get them to work. So now, of course, the computer speakers don't work unless I go to settings and change preferred device. What a pain to...