Windows 10: Random power offs / Event Viewer MMC snap-in errors / USB failure when battery low

Discus and support Random power offs / Event Viewer MMC snap-in errors / USB failure when battery low in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm hoping to avoid a refresh/reset, not sure if I'm looking at one problem or three... Surface 3 // 4GB RAM // Win10 Home x64 [Version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Kamereone, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Kamereone Win User

Random power offs / Event Viewer MMC snap-in errors / USB failure when battery low

I'm hoping to avoid a refresh/reset, not sure if I'm looking at one problem or three...

Surface 3 // 4GB RAM // Win10 Home x64 [Version 10.0.17134.829]

Symptoms:

1. First, it was the internal USB hub - which includes the keyboard-cover and bluetooth - that would suddenly quit working. Lately it's been polite enough to pop up an 'unrecognized device' 'device stopped working' error, but it didn't originally. Usually happens when battery is at or below 20%, but has happened as high as 35%. Hasn't happened when plugged in and charging. Full charge overnight sometimes fixes it, rebooting always does.
    2. More frustratingly, now the darn thing just randomly turns off. Could have been running for days or minutes, a dozen programs open or just one. No freezing, no BSOD, no sluggish behavior or maxed out resources, not even a lingering backlight. Just *poof* buh-bye. It'll either boot right back up when I push the button, or sometimes it will come up, get to the login screen, and turn right back off again. Seems to happen more when battery is below 50% and is more likely to turn back on properly if I plug in.
    3. And most recently, Event Viewer is throwing errors. It opens, loads, and the summary screen displays just fine. If I try to click to open something, I get a pop-up about a snap-in error. If I elect to unload the snap-in (alternative being 'report error and close') none of the other views will load (image below), and usually another error is thrown (stack trace included below).

What I've tried thus far:

• Event Viewer (it worked when this all started) didn't show any noticeable patterns prior to the USB errors or the sudden power off occurrences.
    • Device Manager - Disable/reenable, Remove/reboot, uninstall/reinstalling drivers, for both the battery and USB hub.
    • Rebooting is the only way to get the the internal USB working again. Sometimes leaving it to 'sleep' and fully charge works as well. Reaching a full charge while actively using it doesn't seem to work.
    • Windows Update, Defender full scan, defender offline scan, booting into safe mode. DSIM, battery health scan.
    • Disabled start-up programs, including SkyOneDrive.
    • Lowered the battery saver trigger lever.
    • Reset all the battery power profiles to default.
    • Disabled automatic battery saver altogether.
    • Banged head against wall.

Any ideas, other than a refresh/restore/reimage? It's driving me nuts that there seems to be nothing wrong (aside from the recent Event Viewer development) and I'd like to at least know what I broke before taking drastic measures.

THANKS!

After opening event viewer, all appears well, and Overview and Summary items in the center viewing pane can be expanded. Clicking 'Custom Views' seemed promising to start, and then threw the following error:

Unhandled Exception in Managed Code Snap-In

FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}

The process cannot access the file 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Event Viewer\Views\View_0.xml' because it is being used by another process.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.EventsNode.get_IsReadOnlyView()

at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.EventsNode.UpdateReadOnly()

at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.EventsNode.InitializeQueryNode(FileInfo fileInfo)

at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.EventsNode.AddSubNodes(DirectoryInfo dir, EventNodeType nodeType, Boolean userQuery, String standardViewConfig)

at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.EventsNode.AddSavedQueryNodes()

at Microsoft.Windows.ManagementUI.CombinedControls.EventsNode.CreateChildNodes()

at Microsoft.EventViewer.SnapIn.MMCEventsNode.ExpandNode()

at Microsoft.EventViewer.SnapIn.MMCEventsNode.OnExpand(AsyncStatus status)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.NodeSyncManager.ProcessRequest(NodeRequestInfo info, IRequestStatus requestStatus)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.SnapIn.ProcessRequest(Request request)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInClient.Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.IMessageClient.ProcessRequest(Request request)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.RequestStatus.BeginRequest(IMessageClient messageClient, RequestInfo requestInfo)

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.SnapInRequestOperation.ProcessRequest()

at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Executive.Operation.OnThreadTransfer(SimpleOperationCallback callback)

Random power offs / Event Viewer MMC snap-in errors / USB failure when battery low b970c344-9d75-4f48-9cc6-f1255fb2e052?upload=true.png

Random power offs / Event Viewer MMC snap-in errors / USB failure when battery low bb2f6162-6174-4ea9-96ed-8fa637ad8b8a?upload=true.png

Behavior is pretty much identical no matter what I click, actions pane or the folder/navigation pane.

:)

Kamereone, Jun 30, 2019
  2. Robfly Win User

mmc could not create the snap-in in event viewer (Windows 10)

I tried the KB but didn't work.

I found this and it fixed my event viewer mmc error

1. Open File Explorer on the device.
    2. Navigate to the following path: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Event Viewer\Views
    3. Backup the content of the folder. The next step deletes the custom views and you may want the backup to restore the views when Microsoft fixes the issues.
    4. Delete all View_X.xml files in the folder (it starts with View_0.xml and increments the number by 1 for each file).
    5. Start the Event Viewer after deleting the files.
    rob

Robfly, Jun 30, 2019
  3. Andrew E. Win User
    Event viewer is crashing after the snap in to the console Win 7

The Snap-in happens thru mmc.In run or cmd type: mmc in new window,file,add/remove snap-in,its a simple utility,then you must Save to,name it,locate it to windows C: drive,overwrite current,or rename it & add to existing default..Event Viewer is opened
    thru Administrator Tools,open System,expand the tree,view the list & get the property of a Event/Warning...

Andrew E., Jun 30, 2019
  4. Random power offs / Event Viewer MMC snap-in errors / USB failure when battery low

mmc could not create the snap-in in event viewer (Windows 10)

On Friday 14 June 2019, after saving File History, I attempted to check whether there were any errors or problems. I got the error message

"mmc could not create the snap-in in event viewer".

After googling and binging this problem I found that there have been many instances of it being reported between 2010 and June 2019. For some reason the threads are locked. No wonder - it is such a common error!

I replicated the problem on my Surface Pro 2.

Both my machines currently are on Windows 10 Pro version 1803 build 17134.829.

Now, what strikes me as odd is that the problem occurred after the cumulative update KB4503286 of patch Tuesday on 12 June 2019.

Looking at the numerous patent "cures" in this instance I would suggest that the problem is likely to go away by backing out that update. Or perhaps Microsoft will even fix the problem - again.

MichaelPuk, Jun 30, 2019
Thema:

Random power offs / Event Viewer MMC snap-in errors / USB failure when battery low

1. Random power offs / Event Viewer MMC snap-in errors / USB failure when battery low - Similar Threads - Random power offs

2. MMC cannot initialize the snap-in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MMC cannot initialize the snap-in: I can press windows+R and enter hit type gpedit.msc after that I can open any file it shows MMC cannot initialize the snap-in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mmc-cannot-initialize-the-snap-in/e6a3d9d3-2e03-45ba-8c32-355042e4374a
  3. MMC cannot initialize the snap-in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MMC cannot initialize the snap-in: I can press windows+R and enter hit type gpedit.msc after that I can open any file it shows MMC cannot initialize the snap-in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mmc-cannot-initialize-the-snap-in/e6a3d9d3-2e03-45ba-8c32-355042e4374a
  4. Randomly restarting, Event viewer giving Kernel Power Event 4163

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Randomly restarting, Event viewer giving Kernel Power Event 4163: how do i find the cause of this, and how do i fix the problemas i have experience this 5 times in a week. it always happen suddenly without warning. even when there are no hard processing software such as only opening google chrome.my spec are : AMD ryzen 7 6800HS Memory 16GB...
  5. mmc snap-in task schedular

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    mmc snap-in task schedular: so i was trying to get my anti malware service executable fixed for using high disk but this happened https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mmc-snap-in-task-schedular/8b49a0d3-4a7e-4481-aec2-4aea5bf41f3c
  6. Windows 10 Pro MMC could not create Snap-in. Event Viewer

Windows 10 Pro MMC could not create Snap-in. Event Viewer: Hello! I have Windows 10 Pro, Version 10.0.18363, Build 18363. I recently started having problems with my BT headphones disconnecting every couple of minutes so I went to check the even viewer only to receive this message screenshot below. Event Viewer was fine about 6...
  7. Event Viewer MMC error

in Windows 10 Support
    Event Viewer MMC error: MMC has detected an error in the snap-in & will unload it. I tried looking for solutions but none of them worked. I ran SFC, deleted the registery key, and nothing. Also says Unhandled exception in Managed code snap-in system. IO.IO exception. Any help guys? 134980
  8. mmc could not create the snap-in in event viewer (Windows 10)

mmc could not create the snap-in in event viewer (Windows 10): On Friday 14 June 2019, after saving File History, I attempted to check whether there were any errors or problems. I got the error message "mmc could not create the snap-in in event viewer". After googling and binging this problem I found that there have been many...
  9. MMC detects error in a snap-in

in Windows 10 Support
    MMC detects error in a snap-in: Howdy, I am running a HP All-in-One 23-g017c, Windows 10 Home 64-bit Operating system. A few hours ago I was trying to open my Event Viewer to check on something and discovered the following problem. I clicked on my Component Services like I always do. I then clicked on...
  10. How To Fix MMC Error "detected error in snap in..." ?

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Fix MMC Error "detected error in snap in..." ?: I am trying to disable Cortana. In the GPE I go to edit "Cortana" and I get a message that MMC has detected an error in a snap-in. Found a fix on the web that involved adding to the system path. But it hasn't worked. Anyone got any ideas? hopefully....... 127587