Windows 10: Random Program Files Folder on D: Drive

Discus and support Random Program Files Folder on D: Drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; hey y’all, i got a new ssd and i’m replacing my Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive with it i used to download games on that drive (the D: drive is the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/enshrowdofficial, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Random Program Files Folder on D: Drive

hey y’all, i got a new ssd and i’m replacing my Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive with it

i used to download games on that drive (the D: drive is the external hard drive) and after i got an SSD (ERandom Program Files Folder on D: Drive :) i started downloading games there

i’ve moved all my files from my D: Drive to my E: drive temporarily to prepare for the new SSD but there’s this one folder i can’t seem to move or delete called Program Files (inside of it there’s another folder called ModifiableWindowsApps and that folder is empty, neither of which i can delete)

everything is completely off the drive except for that one, there’s no games left on my D: drive so i don’t know why it’s not able to be deleted, i use Ableton (uninstalled temporarily) and have a bunch of plugins and VSTs that i use as well but those aren’t games so i’m not sure why this folder can’t be edited at all

if anyone has any help or information on this i’d love to hear it, i don’t wanna delete this in case it breaks something but my D: drive is about to collect dust anyways

thanks y’all

submitted by /u/enshrowdofficial
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/enshrowdofficial, Dec 25, 2020

2. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Dec 25, 2020
  3. Random folders appearing to my new hard drive

In process explorer right click on columns > select columns > process disk tab > enable disk delta write bytes
    Order the process list by disk delta write bytes columns and monitor which process springs on top when files and folders are being created.
    If it's one of the svchost.exe instances then look at it's modules and threads in the lower pane to detect the culprit.

BiggieShady, Dec 25, 2020
  4. Random Program Files Folder on D: Drive

Program files in different drives

Your Subject says "Program Files" but your text says "ProgramData". Which one is it?

If you move one of these folders to drive C: then you break every application that "thinks" the folder is on drive D:. Here are two options to do it safely:

• Do a complete re-installation of Windows.
    • Use a number of advanced console commands to move the data from D: to C:, then create a symbolic link on drive D: to fool your applications into believing that the folder still exists on drive D:. I would recommend this option only if you are comfortable
      with console commands and are able to boot the machine into Windows Repair Mode.

Frederik Long, Dec 25, 2020
Thema:

Random Program Files Folder on D: Drive

1. Random Program Files Folder on D: Drive - Similar Threads - Random Program Files

2. Restore control of Program Files folder on D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore control of Program Files folder on D drive: Hello,I recently installed the Minecraft launcher and specified that minecraft should be installed on my D:\ drive. On my D:\ drive, I had previously created a folder named "Program Files", and all of my programs are installed there. My understanding is that when a UWP app is...
  3. Restore control of Program Files folder on D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore control of Program Files folder on D drive: Hello,I recently installed the Minecraft launcher and specified that minecraft should be installed on my D:\ drive. On my D:\ drive, I had previously created a folder named "Program Files", and all of my programs are installed there. My understanding is that when a UWP app is...
  4. Restore control of Program Files folder on D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  6. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  7. Files and folders in D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files and folders in D drive: Hello,I have a new desktop computer with Windows 11 22H2 with a 1/4 T SSD drive C: and a full T hard drive D:.I am confused by file and folder icons. Can I move, or delete, or rename folders in the D drive without screwinganything up?Mark...
  8. Files and folders in D drive

Files and folders in D drive: Hello,I have a new desktop computer with Windows 11 22H2 with a 1/4 T SSD drive C: and a full T hard drive D:.I am confused by file and folder icons. Can I move, or delete, or rename folders in the D drive without screwinganything up?Mark...
  9. Random Folders Appearing in my D Drive

Random Folders Appearing in my D Drive: Hi there, im having trouble with these random folders appearing in my d drive, even after i delete them they reappear, not sure what they are from, scanned for virus's and malware but nothing comes up, this hard drive is mainly used for game storage and other files. windows...
  10. Program Files Folder in Drive D: (And All of Its Sub-Folder and Programs) was Automatically...

Program Files Folder in Drive D: (And All of Its Sub-Folder and Programs) was Automatically...: Hello everyone. 2 days ago I turn on my laptop as usual, after it boot into Windows I notice that one of a program that I make a schedule to launch at my log on didn't appear in system tray(this software is ThrottleStop Ver. 8.70.6 that I use to undervolt my laptop CPU). Then...