Windows 10: Random Reboots after a few minutes of inactivity

Discus and support Random Reboots after a few minutes of inactivity in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Firstly - I do not know if this is a BSOD problem so apologies if I've posted incorrectly and please move my post in that case. I'm assuming it might... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Random Reboots after a few minutes of inactivity

Firstly - I do not know if this is a BSOD problem so apologies if I've posted incorrectly and please move my post in that case. I'm assuming it might be BSODs because sometimes we get a blue screen with unsmiley face (nothing like the data dumps that I used to see years ago), is the MS's new 'friendly' BSOD?

Anyway, some time ago the laptop started to randomly reboot, usually after it had been left idle for just a few minutes. As no-one was in front of the screen we were never able to see any messages etc. though occasionally caught sight of the blue screen with unsmiley face. It was happening several times a day, with no particular pre-reboot activity.

We thought we had solved this by doing an in-place upgrade, and the laptop was fine for some weeks. In the last few days it has started the random reboots again, usually just a few minutes after it has been left idle.

The only recent addition to the laptop was installing Bluestacks in order to run Whatsapp. But as this wasn't installed when the problem happened previously (before in-place upgrade) this could be a red herring.

I have run the collection tool and attached the results.

As I'm not that technical I would appreciate guidance in simple language please *Smile

UPDATE: managed to see the blue screen/unsmiley face this time (the usual reboot after a few minutes). It says 'Unexpected kernel mode trap' and for more info to go onto Microsoft site and look at 'Stopcode'.

:)

SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 22, 2018
  2. Gino Des Win User

System Reboots after about 5 minutes of inactivity

Hi Allen,

Let's try to isolate the cause of the issue. We suggest that you follow the methods below:

Method 1: Run the Power Troubleshooter to find and fix problems with your computer's power settings. Check your power settings if your computer is set to sleep or hibernate after 5 minutes of inactivity. To run the troubleshooter, follow
    the steps below:

• Click Start.
    • On the search bar, type Troubleshooting, and click on
      Troubleshooting
      from the results.
    • Click on System and Security.
    • Under Power, click on Power.

Method 2: Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files. For steps on how to run the System File Checker tool, check the following link:

Use the System File Checker tool

Method 3: Check if all the devices on your computer have the latest driver. Refer to this link for steps on how to update drivers:

Update drivers in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes for us to assist you further.

Gino Des, Mar 22, 2018
  3. System Reboots after about 5 minutes of inactivity

I did not mention that I have a SSD as my primary drive with three other IDE drives.

You lead me to check the power settings on my disk. They were set to power down after 20 minutes of inactivity.

I changed it to never power down and the computer had not rebooted since.

Thanks!!

Allen Spain

AllenSpainNC, Mar 22, 2018
  4. philc43 Win User

Random Reboots after a few minutes of inactivity

Hi Maggi,

The crash dumps identify epp.sys as the possible cause. This driver comes from the Emsisoft antivirus package and so I would suggest completely removing it and seeing if stops the BSOD events. Windows Defender will work fine as an AV and I see you also have Malwarebytes so you are well protected.

Code: BugCheck 7F, {8, fffff80315e4de50, ffff86025271df60, fffff80313b2abb0} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for epp.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for epp.sys Probably caused by : epp.sys ( epp+11499 )[/quote]

philc43, Mar 22, 2018
  5. Thank you for this Phil,

You rang a bell - after doing the in-place upgrade Emsisoft wasn't reinstalled for a while, and all was okay. But it was reinstalled a couple of weeks ago.

Emsisoft is being uninstalled as I write this, and I will also contact Emsisoft to see what they say. We have Emsisoft installed on 2 same-model Dell Inspiron laptops and on one there have been no problems while the other is being a pain.

I won't mark this as solved until we've checked out the laptop, but fingers crossed...

Maggi

SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 23, 2018
  6. Seems that Emsisoft was the problem (though they are highlighting that word 'probably' in the log) so we've got them on the case.

Thanks again Phil

SaggyMaggyPoo, Mar 24, 2018
  7. philc43 Win User
    You are welcome*Smile Let us know if you get any more feedback from them.

philc43, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Random Reboots after a few minutes of inactivity

1. Random Reboots after a few minutes of inactivity - Similar Threads - Random Reboots few

2. After idle for a few minutes, PC reboots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After idle for a few minutes, PC reboots: I am running Windows 11, and if I leave my PC hp victus 15fb0xxx idle for a few minutes, it reboots. If I use it continuously, it's fine. I have installed every system update and checked my drivers to make sure they are up to date and I even ran a virus scan I use McAfee....
  3. After idle for a few minutes, PC reboots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After idle for a few minutes, PC reboots: I am running Windows 11, and if I leave my PC hp victus 15fb0xxx idle for a few minutes, it reboots. If I use it continuously, it's fine. I have installed every system update and checked my drivers to make sure they are up to date and I even ran a virus scan I use McAfee....
  4. The computer reboots after a few minutes of playing gaming applications.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The computer reboots after a few minutes of playing gaming applications.: I see the following error in the event log:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 0xffff8f0019b48050, 0xfffff8033db9afb0, 0xffffffffc000009a, 0x0000000000000004. A dump was saved in: C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:...
  5. The computer reboots after a few minutes of playing gaming applications.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The computer reboots after a few minutes of playing gaming applications.: I see the following error in the event log:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000116 0xffff8f0019b48050, 0xfffff8033db9afb0, 0xffffffffc000009a, 0x0000000000000004. A dump was saved in: C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:...
  6. The computer reboots after a few minutes of playing gaming applications.

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. PC Deadlocks when it is left inactive for few minuts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Deadlocks when it is left inactive for few minuts: Hello, So I have a problem where if I leave my Laptop inactive without any Inputs, It crashes or Deadlocks, This happens very without fail... Sometimes the Force Shutdownby pressing the power button doesn't seem to work.I have changed the Power Plans.I have 16GB Ram and...
  8. Computer goes black after a few minutes of inactive cursor then locks

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer goes black after a few minutes of inactive cursor then locks: No matter how many settings I changed, my computer still goes black after 1-2 minutes of cursor inactivity!!! It then locks and goes to the screen asking me to unlock it. I tried setting all "power and sleep settings" to never, I also tried going into "additional power...
  9. window 10 crash if inactive for few minute

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    window 10 crash if inactive for few minute: if I don't make any activity on window 10 for 3 to 5 minutes it gives blue screen error, it's too irritating and creating problems on my job please tell me the solution or replace my window 10 with window 7....
  10. Win 10 Randomly Freezes after a few minutes Why?

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Randomly Freezes after a few minutes Why?: Hi Guys Win 10 Randomly Freezes after a few minutes; it may run for a week with no issue. But then it will happen over a few days then back to normal. I have had it for several months and i have tried to rule out some hardware items. I have replaced it with new memory but it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc restarts after a few minutes of inactivity