Windows 10: Random restarts when gaming - bugcheck code 278

Discus and support Random restarts when gaming - bugcheck code 278 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For the past few months, my PC has been randomly restarting itself when playing games. Only once has it caused the Blue Windows Error Report screen.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by seven343, Dec 10, 2020.

1. seven343 Win User

Random restarts when gaming - bugcheck code 278

For the past few months, my PC has been randomly restarting itself when playing games. Only once has it caused the Blue Windows Error Report screen. The KernalPower 41 events in the Event Viewer nearly all have a bugcheck code of 278, other than the 2 most recent which are 126 I disabled auto-restart so had to hold the power button for those.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660TI

16gb RAM

I read that bugcheck 278 is to do with the graphics drivers. So I have tried:

Updating to latest windows version

Memory Check was fine

System File checker said a few had problems, but it fixed those, now shows fine

Updating to latest graphics drivers

Downgrading to older graphics drivers

However I didn't use anything to fully uninstall the previous graphics drivers, just used uninstalling via device manager.

There hasn't been any consistency as to when this happens, sometimes it's fine playing for significant amount of time and doesn't happen, sometimes it restarts just a few minutes after starting to play. It's not with every game either.

Screen goes black albiet sound continues as normal for a few seconds, then restarts. Still having the problem and I have no idea what to do about it.

:)

seven343, Dec 10, 2020

2. random restarts

Hi,

If a Windows computer random restarts, the device usually have some damaged system components. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows is installed on your computer?
    • What changes have you made to the device before this issue occurred?
    • What troubleshooting steps was already performed to your laptop?

In the meantime, it will be best to make sure that the latest update of Windows is installed on your device. If the same issue happens after installing Windows Update, we suggest running the power troubleshooter. To do so, follow these steps:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search bar at the upper-right corner, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting and then select System and Security.
    • Click on Power and then follow the prompts to successfully run the tool.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Dec 10, 2020
  3. Bugcheck code 278. Restart when waking from sleep.

I know this issue has been discussed heavily already, but previous postings revolve around two updates (KB4038788, KB4041676)

as the cause. These updates were associated with older versions of Windows 10.

My Asus AIO PC is running version 1803 ( the very latest, I believe). The video is Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 4gb (latest driver).

12Gb memory, 128 Gb SSD and 1 terabyte disk.

I have done check disk (chkdsk), memory check (mdsched.exe), uninstalled video drivers, installed older versions of video drivers,

all to no avail. No errors were indicated anywhere.

My symptoms are as follows.

When a scheduled task (mine, OEM, or windows) wakes the PC from sleep mode, a restart gets performed.

When a wake up is triggered by pressing any key or moving the mouse, the PC wakes up fine with no issues.

Seems to be 100% repeatable.

Since the key press wakes up with no issue, seems like this must be an OS (or graphics driver) software issue.

I would be grateful for any help Microsoft or other users could offer.

The event log shows critical error: Bugcheck code 278:

System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 6

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000002

- TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2018-05-05T13:36:29.403710400Z

EventRecordID 7730

Correlation

- Execution
    [ ProcessID] 4

[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer Wilbur

- Security
    [ UserID] S-1-5-18
    - EventData
    BugcheckCode 278

BugcheckParameter1 0xffff8001b0821010

BugcheckParameter2 0xfffff801676d41ac

BugcheckParameter3 0xffffffffc000009a

BugcheckParameter4 0x4

SleepInProgress 0

PowerButtonTimestamp 0

BootAppStatus 0

Checkpoint 0

ConnectedStandbyInProgress false

SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0

CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0

BugcheckInfoFromEFI true

CheckpointStatus 0

Fred Cunningham, Dec 10, 2020
  4. Hamborger Win User

Random hang and shutdown/restart: Event 41, Kernel-Power, BugcheckCode 278

What happened: My PC randomly hands and shutdowns/resets. It can happen at random, sometimes while I'm watching youtube, sometimes during gaming session, sometimes even in the BIOS settings.

Event detail in Event Viewer:

- EventData

BugcheckCode 278

BugcheckParameter1 0xffffe48705f95010

BugcheckParameter2 0x0

BugcheckParameter3 0x0

BugcheckParameter4 0x0

SleepInProgress 0

PowerButtonTimestamp 0

BootAppStatus 0

Checkpoint 0

ConnectedStandbyInProgress false

SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0

CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0

BugcheckInfoFromEFI true

CheckpointStatus 0

No BSOD. Just hangs or hangs then restarts. Was working properly for 3 months until today. What changed was that I moved house and could have rattled my PC around while changing house. So I took out the thing and reassembled everything. Still have random
    hang.

Hamborger, Dec 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Random restarts when gaming - bugcheck code 278 - Similar Threads - Random restarts gaming

2. Event 41 Kernel Power crash - bugcheck code 278

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event 41 Kernel Power crash - bugcheck code 278: Hi,I wonder if someone could help me resolve an issue that has been annoying me for some time now. My desktop computer windows 10 is suddenly freezes and crash > restart. This behaviour started while gaming but weirdly happens when making music or using other software. After...
  3. Kernel Power ID 41 63 Bugcheck code 278

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Kernel Power ID 41 63 Bugcheck code 278: Hello.This "Kernel power event id 41 63" error has happened randomly whenever I'm playing any game or watching any video. My pc randomly freezes, shows a black screen, and shuts down. I've tried to fix it for months, but nothing works. Here is a list of what I tried since the...
  4. Kernel Power ID 41 63 Bugcheck code 278

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Kernel Power ID 41 63 Bugcheck code 278: Hello.This "Kernel power event id 41 63" error has happened randomly whenever I'm playing any game or watching any video. My pc randomly freezes, shows a black screen, and shuts down. I've tried to fix it for months, but nothing works. Here is a list of what I tried since the...
  5. Kernel power Event ID-41 Bugcheck code 278

Kernel power Event ID-41 Bugcheck code 278: Hi,I have been getting the kernel power Event ID 41 issue for 2-3 months but i have not been able to find a possible fix for it. I checked the Bugcheck code reference from:https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-code-reference2The...
  6. Kernel power Event ID-41 Bugcheck code 278

Kernel power Event ID-41 Bugcheck code 278: Hi,I have been getting the kernel power Event ID 41 issue for 2-3 months but i have not been able to find a possible fix for it. I checked the Bugcheck code reference from:https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-code-reference2The...
  7. Kernel-Power Error 41 Bugcheck Code 278

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Kernel-Power Error 41 Bugcheck Code 278: Hello everyone.So, I have a problem with my computer.The model is GPD WIN MAX 2021. And the problem is when I use external monitor through HDMI TV 1360*768 or 1920*1080 it randomly reboots while gaming. Not really often, 1-2 times per day. On regular tasks such as browsing/...
  8. Kernel-Power Error 41 Bugcheck Code 278

Kernel-Power Error 41 Bugcheck Code 278: Hello everyone.So, I have a problem with my computer.The model is GPD WIN MAX 2021. And the problem is when I use external monitor through HDMI TV 1360*768 or 1920*1080 it randomly reboots while gaming. Not really often, 1-2 times per day. On regular tasks such as browsing/...
  9. Kernel-Power Error 41 Bugcheck Code 278

10. Kernel-Power Error 41 Bugcheck Code 278

Kernel-Power Error 41 Bugcheck Code 278: Ok so it's been around 3 days since my pc randomly freezes and accepts absolutely no input whatsoever. I have to hard restart the system using the power button. The event viewer gave the following information: -System -Provider [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power [ Guid]...