Windows 10: Random screen freezes + VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR on brand new machine

Discus and support Random screen freezes + VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR on brand new machine in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello everyone, A month and a half ago I built a new machine. I fresh installed Win10 Enterprise 1909 and randomly and sporadically (sometimes once... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by douteiful, Jan 13, 2020.

1. douteiful Win User

Random screen freezes + VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR on brand new machine

Hello everyone,

A month and a half ago I built a new machine. I fresh installed Win10 Enterprise 1909 and randomly and sporadically (sometimes once every 2 days, sometimes once every 2 weeks) the screen completely freezes. Sound keeps playing, but after a minute it stops responding.

It apparently BSODs because it logs minidumps with a VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR bugcheck, but it doesn't show on screen because it is frozen. The event log also shows the video driver crashing.

I also tried Win10 LTSC 1809, same issue.

Is it a hardware or software issue? Might it be the GPU, or motherboard (the PCIe slot or controller)? Or something else entirely?

I'm under a 6 month warranty for these components so I need guidance.

Components:
    - Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4
    - GPU: EVGA GeForce 1660 ti XC
    - CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600
    - PSU: Tested with EVGA BR 600w and Antec HCG 620w, same problem.

Log collector: KUREHA-(2019-12-22_16-56-44).zip - Google Drive
    Relevant event log: events2.evtx - Google Drive
    2 minidumps + watchdog dump: minidumps.zip - Google Drive

I lost previous dumps as I have fresh installed Windows several times. But I'm pretty sure the error is always the same. Note that these happened with NVIDIA driver 432.00 - I installed 441.66 today.

Please help.

:)

douteiful, Jan 13, 2020
  2. douteiful Win User

Hello everyone,

A month and a half ago I built a new machine. I fresh installed Win10 Enterprise 1909 and randomly and sporadically (sometimes once every 2 days, sometimes once every 2 weeks) the screen completely freezes. Sound keeps playing, but after a minute it stops responding.

It apparently BSODs because it logs minidumps with a VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR bugcheck, but it doesn't show on screen because it is frozen. The event log also shows the video driver crashing.

I also tried Win10 LTSC 1809, same issue.

Is it a hardware or software issue? Might it be the GPU, or motherboard (the PCIe slot or controller)? Or something else entirely?

I'm under a 6 month warranty for these components so I need guidance.

Components:
    - Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4
    - GPU: EVGA GeForce 1660 ti XC
    - CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600
    - PSU: Tested with EVGA BR 600w and Antec HCG 620w, same problem.

Log collector: KUREHA-(2019-12-22_16-56-44).zip - Google Drive
    Relevant event log: events2.evtx - Google Drive
    2 minidumps + watchdog dump: minidumps.zip - Google Drive

I lost previous dumps as I have fresh installed Windows several times. But I'm pretty sure the error is always the same. Note that these happened with NVIDIA driver 432.00 - I installed 441.66 today.

Please help.

- - - Updated - - -

Just wanted to post another watchdog dump I found:
    WATCHDOG-20191221-1938.dmp - Google Drive

The bugchecks of the watchdog dumps are VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (141) and VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED (117). It makes me think that the video card might be just freezing and the driver crashes as a result (hence the timeout), but I don't know much about these errors. Might it be the driver? The video card? The motherboard? I'm at a loss.

I also wanted to note that these are fully random and they have happened mostly at light load (ie web browsing), although the latest crash was when running an old game, so I don't know how to reproduce it.

douteiful, Jan 13, 2020
  3. douteiful Win User

Occurred again today (12/27) even with the new NVIDIA drivers (441.66) installed on 12/21.

15:37 - Screen freezes, mouse doesn't move, but music keeps playing and I can change the song with my keyboard shortcuts
    15:37 - WATCHDOG crash dump gets saved.
    15:37 - Event viewer: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. (Two times) Screen still frozen.
    15:37 - Event viewer: The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. Faulting application name: dwm.exe
    15:43 - System stops responding completely. BSOD? MINIDUMP crash dump gets saved.

Minidump + Watchdog dump + Windows events: minidumps3.zip - Google Drive
    Full memory dump (600MB): MEMORY.DMP - Google Drive

douteiful, Jan 13, 2020
  4. Random screen freezes + VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR on brand new machine

Brand new E5 freezes and restarts often

I recieved the E5 not even two days ago, and I cannot tell you how much frustration I've gone through trying to stop it from freezing and restarting. It has happened in the menu, in the contact list, just trying to do random things. Also, it happens on
    its own, for example I just noticed it restarting while I'm typing this sentence, and I haven't touched it for five minutes.

It is extremely upsetting for a BRAND new phone to be acting like this, and thus far I am extremely displeased with the Nokia brand. I am not really too tech savvy, but I do know some, so please offer me suggestions and help with how to get this phone running
    optimally. Thanks.

Ryan505---01, Jan 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Random screen freezes + VIDEO_DXGKRNL_FATAL_ERROR on brand new machine - Similar Threads - Random screen freezes

2. My dell g15 keeps freezing up randomly and its brand new .

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My dell g15 keeps freezing up randomly and its brand new .: My computer randomly freezes and I don't Know if its windows 11 or not :/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-dell-g15-keeps-freezing-up-randomly-and-its/6ea4acf9-1f1e-4aa9-81ec-6394e429ff4e
  3. Brand New PC Freezing and Restarting Randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Brand New PC Freezing and Restarting Randomly: Link to event files.Hi,Brand new PC running Windows 10 Pro x64.Intel i7-10700k32GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAMAsus Z490-I MoboAsus ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti2 PCIe SSDs M.2 / 1 Sata SSD Corsair SFX-750 750W PSUI've been struggling troubleshooting why my PC is just randomly freezing and...
  4. Facing Random Blue Screen Errors with Brand New Notebook.

Facing Random Blue Screen Errors with Brand New Notebook.: I have bought a brand-new notebook “Acer Aspire 5 Intel Core I5 11th Gen 8 GB/512 GB SSD/ Windows 10 Home/ Iris Xe Graphic A515-56-54FN” about 3 weeks ago.Since I have received this notebook, I have been facing the blue screen issues.The system shutdowns without any warning...
  5. BSOD with this error almost brand new machine

BSOD with this error almost brand new machine: ******************************************************************************** ** Bugcheck Analysis **...
  6. BRAND NEW PC RANDOMLY REBOOTING

BRAND NEW PC RANDOMLY REBOOTING: I just built my first ever PC AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ASrock b450 steel legend Gigabyte gefore gtx 1660 super gaming OC G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2x8 DDR4-3600 CL16 Crucial P1 1TB M.2-2280 SSD Corsair CXM 650W I DO NOT HAVE THE LATEST BIOS Build seemingly went fine for my first,...
  7. Brand new ryzen 7 2700x build freezing randomly

Brand new ryzen 7 2700x build freezing randomly: Hello, I built a brand new PC about 3 weeks ago. From the beginning, I am getting random freezes / hang ups, where the mouse disappears, keyboard input / caps lock stops working. The entire system doesn't immediately stop working: Spotify will keep playing, videos on YouTube...
  8. Brand New Computer - Random Freezes

Brand New Computer - Random Freezes: Hello All, I just build a new computer, and it is constantly freezing. I have verified that all hardware components are seated and tight. AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 2920 ASRock 399 Phantom Gaming 6 4x8 GSKill PC-3200 in Quad Channel Mode MSI NVidia Geforce 1660 GTX...
  9. random crash on brand new build

random crash on brand new build: just as the title says this is a brand new build specs are as follows motherboard asus x99 deluxe ii cpu intel core i7 6800k cpu cooler hyper 212 gpu asus strix gtx 1070 8gb crucial ballistix 32gb ddr4 2400 1tb ssd (os) brought over from old system 1tb wd red...
  10. 100% CPU - Brand New Machine

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    100% CPU - Brand New Machine: Hi, I am trying to upgrade a number of machines to Windows 10 Pro. Latest one is a new laptop - fresh install and after it has been running a while it comes up at 100 CPU and it is something to do with Service host local system. This is not the only machine to be affected...