Windows 10: Random Shutdown After Battery Replacement

Discus and support Random Shutdown After Battery Replacement in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I recently replaced the dead battery in my Dell Latitude E6440 (Windows 10.0.18362 Build 18362). I bought the battery on eBay for a lot less than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by midsomerjambo, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Random Shutdown After Battery Replacement

Hi,

I recently replaced the dead battery in my Dell Latitude E6440 (Windows 10.0.18362 Build 18362). I bought the battery on eBay for a lot less than Dell wanted to charge me but it seems to have an issue with ACPI in that the laptop randomly shuts down when in its docking station. The BIOS error log makes reference to ACPI-commanded shutdowns so I made various adjustments to the advanced power settings Battery section (mainly Critical Battery Action, which I set to "do nothing"). This didn't help. So I then disabled the ACPI battery device driver in Device Manager and this appears to have cured the random shutdowns, although I now have no battery monitor on the taskbar or any means of getting any battery information other than from the BIOS, (which indicates that the battery is still charging, by the way). Ideally, I'd like to have ACPI enabled so I can have a battery monitor in W10 but since I don't use it on battery all that often, it's not the end of the world if I need to keep it disabled. I just wondered if anyone else has encountered this and if so, what course of action you took to resolve it. In addition, I was wondering if I'm likely to encounter any short/medium/long-term issues with my laptop by having ACPI disabled.

All the best, Gerry

:)

midsomerjambo, Jan 24, 2020

2. Plugged in but battery does not charge

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Random Shutdown After Battery Replacement pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Jan 24, 2020
  3. laptop battery wont charge after latest update

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s okay if you only have 1).

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

FreeBooter, Jan 24, 2020
  4. Random Shutdown After Battery Replacement

Acer battery won't charge

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

4. Power on the laptop

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Random Shutdown After Battery Replacement pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

FreeBooter, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

Random Shutdown After Battery Replacement

1. Random Shutdown After Battery Replacement - Similar Threads - Random Shutdown Battery

2. Random shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random shutdown: Hi, I am experiencing a weird issue where my screen is randomly showing me "locking" and then shuts down. When I then boot my computer again, I get a message from the BIOS stating that it lost contact with the operating system. This happens every 2-3 hours or so. Could you...
  3. Random Shutdowns/Restarts

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Random Shutdowns/Restarts: I have an ASUS ROG Strix Scar edition GL703GS, Windows 10 installed. Lately my machine has been shutting down randomly. I checked event viewer --> system for event ID 6008 for 'dirty shutdowns.' Here are the details XML - <Event...
  4. Replacement battery for discontinued laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Replacement battery for discontinued laptop: Good afternoon. I have a Clevo-based laptop I bought from IBuyPower about four years ago. It's a discontinued model and they tell me they have no way to get a replacement. Is there nothing I can do? Could I try another battery made for a gaming laptop that might work? EDIT:...
  5. Random Shutdowns

Random Shutdowns: So, I work in the I.T. department for a large company and we are all baffled by this new issue. We ordered a handful of OptiPlex 7050's because we need the large case for cards. I installed Windows 10 Enterprise, then I installed a secondary NIC and a NVIDIA QUADRO K620. I...
  6. Battery issues/random shutdowns

Battery issues/random shutdowns: At the beginning of this year, I noticed something odd with regard to the charging/battery life of my pc. It started off merely as the indicator on the side-switching between orange and white, to the old battery lasting an hour and a half to fifty minutes come April/May....
  7. Low Battery Shutdown

Low Battery Shutdown: Hello all My problem is a weird one. I've set "low battery action: none" and "critical battery action: hibernate" on all my power plans. My laptop still sometimes shuts down after low battery notification. Also, hibernate takes a unusually long time. The problem can be that...
  8. Random shutdowns

Random shutdowns: Good morning, good evening depends when you are reading this. So, i'm running asus x550c windows 10. Recently ive come across to these weird shutdowns. As it seems, my computer will shutdown randomly without any warnings, and when it does shutdown, i can't turn it right back...
  9. Random Shutdowns

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Shutdowns: Laptop, Dell Studio 1555, Previously running Win7 Ultimate and had no issues regarding random shutdowns. Upgraded to Win10 Pro, then wiped drive and clean installed Win10 Pro. No issues during installation. No issues with device drivers. No other software installed....
  10. Just replaced CMOS battery and...

in Windows 10 Support
    Just replaced CMOS battery and...: ....according to clock on task bar the time is wrong. I know this has probably been covered before, but late in my life I find it difficult at times to find the correct old thread with the answer. Please direct and help me. 67352