Windows 10: Random Shutdown, sometimes reboots, no BSOD or memory dump files

Discus and support Random Shutdown, sometimes reboots, no BSOD or memory dump files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have been fighting with my computer for about four weeks now, and I am not getting anywhere. In a nutshell, my computer started to randomly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Aloupha, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Aloupha Win User

Random Shutdown, sometimes reboots, no BSOD or memory dump files

Hello,

I have been fighting with my computer for about four weeks now, and I am not getting anywhere. In a nutshell, my computer started to randomly shut down and seldom reboot. There are no specific patterns I notice, except that when I try to find out what's going on the random reboots/shut downs happen more frequently (3-5 time per hour). When I just use the computer, it lasts longer without any issues. I may get between 1-4 hours. No BSOD and no error.

Now when the computer shuts down, it is a hard shut down. It is as if I turned off the power button from the PSU itself and turned it back because when I turn the computer back on, it turns on briefly and shuts down again, turns on again, beeps the all things okay beep, and boots to window. It is worth noting that this behavior started happening without adding any new hardware, software, or driver.

Here's what I have done so far to try to ameliorate/diagnose the issue.

1) I reset the PC - Here's my post on that issue if you want to take a look.
    2) I did a clean install - (truly clean install).
    3) I boot into the Bios, and it stills reboot/shut down (this causes me to suspect a hardware issue, but what?).
    4) I open the case and ensure that everything is properly seated on the MOBO.
    5) I cleaned out the PC of dust
    6) My temperatures are normal, no overheating going on.
    7) I ran ad-ware/spyware check - nothing has been found.
    8) I ran a virus check (yes, with windows defender) - nothing came up. I don't think it's a virus since the problem continues even after a clean install.
    9) It's not a lack of power issue. My PSU is 1000W and I am not using that much power.
    10) I did a stress test for over an hour, and everything was normal (this causes me to doubt it is a hardware problem).
    11) I am sure I have done more than the before mentioned steps, but I can't remember them all.

At this point, I suspect my issue might be hardware related; however, I really do not know what this could be, and I do not want to start buying new hardwares (i.e. PSU) without knowing what the issue really is, particularly when it endured a stress test without any issues. I thought of applying a thermal paste/grease on the CPU, but since I am not overheating I don't think that's necessary. So, I am at a lost on what my next steps should be. I am not savvy enough on reading memory dumps files... my computer is not generating any of those files anyway. But I know I can force my computer to generate them.

Any help is greatly appreciate it. My specs are on my link.

P.S. - I wasn't sure whether this was the right place to post this topic. I thought of using the BSOD forum, but the instruction clearly says to only post BSOD related issues. So, I am posting it here.

:)

Aloupha, Oct 12, 2015

2. BSOD - Kernel Security Check Failure - Windows 10

Hi. I have upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (64) . Since upgrading, I am randomly getting the BSOD - Kernel Security Check Failure. I have done a memory check - ok, cleaned the registry - ok, run all windows updates - ok, updated every driver on
    the system - ok, run virus checks - ok. I don't know what else to do. The BSOD - Kernel Security Check Failure errors are random. Sometimes it will reboot two or three times to get the error again and reboot.

My dump files are at: Dropbox - Error

Thanks for any help you can provide.

DonnaMassey, Oct 12, 2015
  3. Pc BSOD Kernel Security Check Failed (MiniDump)

Hi, Your solution did not work... I have some other minidumps for crashes (Reboot crash and SleepMode crash) all included in the rar file with the memory dump

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?nmmmuhj3ci28q5e

EDIT: Now i get the BSOD even with Windows update when installing updates in shutdown/Reboot option,

Minidump here: https://www.mediafire.com/?ezau3yxdwcddpw8

EDIT #2: Even with the ChkDsk at the startup i get the Same BSOD. This has not generated any Minidump

Gioele1334, Oct 12, 2015
  4. Random Shutdown, sometimes reboots, no BSOD or memory dump files

Beg, steal or borrow another PSU because that's where my money is, I've a gut feeling it's getting on in years, like me. *Biggrin

You could boot it of a live linux usb/dvd and see how it behaves. If it still does it it's pointing at a hardware issue rather than software e.g Windows .

Torquemada, Oct 12, 2015
  5. Aloupha Win User
    That's a great idea. I don't know why I didn't think of it. My guess is it will still shut down. I'll check this out tonight and report back.

I was going to downgrade to Windows 8.1 to see what happen. This is a much better alternative! Thank you

Aloupha, Oct 12, 2015
  6. Should always keep a live linux usb/dvd handy.

If Winblows craps out completely and you've no other computer at least you can get on the Interweb and try to find out why !! *Biggrin Good luck !

Torquemada, Oct 12, 2015
  7. Aloupha Win User
    I had one laying around somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find it. I am downloading a new Ubuntu Desktop right now. Hopefully my computer stays on long enough for the download and the DVD Burn.

On a separate note, my PSU is... about 7 years old, and I have been out of the hardware stuff for a while. If you, or anyone, has any recommendation for a good PSU, 1000W, I could look into I would appreciate it. I am partial to companies that provides lifetime warranties (if there are still those out there), and cost is not an issue. Right now I am leaning toward the EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 by EVGA

I think I am leaning toward buying a new PSU.

Aloupha, Oct 13, 2015
  8. Random Shutdown, sometimes reboots, no BSOD or memory dump files

This is what p**ses me right off. *Mad If I want to buy the self same PSU as the one linked to ($220) it's going to cost me £180 = $277
    Do you pay extra State taxes or is that what you pay? Is America really the land of opportunity? or a case of rip off Britain as usual.

I guessed it was at least 5 years old (going by the review dates) 7 years, it's earned its keep, probably a wise move. The first sign of spontaneous reboots, shutdowns and fail to starts means (to me) get the credit card out and go shopping.

Torquemada, Oct 13, 2015
  9. Aloupha Win User
    If I do buy it from Amazon, it would cost me about 229. The additional cost is for shipping. I am not sure why, but I wouldn't be charged Taxes for this one.

If I buy it from Newegg, it would cost me 219.99.

Aloupha, Oct 13, 2015
  10. That's it then I'm moving to the States, mind you if I did that I'd miss all of our wonderful weather, *Cool

Torquemada, Oct 13, 2015
  11. Have you looked in Event viewer>Custom views>Administrative events after each occurrence to see what Event id is showing? If there are any,then try the Online help button first.The freezing and hard shutdown is,unfortunately,common to Win10 and as yet,no quick fix,if any.One good source of suggestions is on the nvidea website>forums and search for :nvlddmkm: and the post by jimbonbon.The cause appears to be the Timeout Detection and Recovery {TDR},which can be modified in the registery,if you are game,I'm not.

joeandmarg0, Oct 14, 2015
  12. Aloupha Win User
    Yes, I have looked at the events, and I didn't think it was very helpful since all it says is "the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly" with the following error details:

I have googled that error, and I didn't come across anything helpful to my cause. I just googled it again, and I came across this video... it looks promising, so I'll give it a shot. KERNEL POWER EVENT ID 41 Easy solution Mar 2015 - YouTube

I'll check out the nvidea website as well and see what I could find.

Aloupha, Oct 14, 2015
  13. Aloupha Win User

So, I was finally able to run Ubuntu on the computer with the CD, and it still shuts down. Therefore, the problem is definitely not software or driver related. It's looking like the PSU is really the problem.

The PSU I was looking into is on back-order, so I have to wait or look for a different PSU since I want to order from Amazon so I don't have any issue returning it in case PSU is not the real issue.

Any recommendation for other PSUs I could look into?

Aloupha, Oct 15, 2015
  14. Linux live dvd/usb's are a life saver. People are too ready to blame Windows. You could run the memory checker but that may go tits up because of the flakey PSU.

Antec, Corsair EVGA used 'em all whatever floats your boat.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/power-supply-psu-brands,review-33002.html
    Knock yourself out ! *chuckle Sea Sonic seem to get good rep, I've a Corsair 520HX that's a rebadged Sea Sonic.

Torquemada, Oct 15, 2015
  15. Aloupha Win User
    I decided to wait for the EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 from Amazon. I like the 10 year warranty, and I like its ECO mode button being on the outside, so I can turn it on and off at ease without opening the case.

I should get it by Friday! - I feel like a little kid waiting for his Christmas present *Smile

Aloupha, Oct 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Random Shutdown, sometimes reboots, no BSOD or memory dump files - Similar Threads - Random Shutdown sometimes

2. Random Windows shutdowns without BSOD or dump/minidump

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Windows shutdowns without BSOD or dump/minidump: SYSTEM SPECS - [ No Overclocks! ]MOBO MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI MS-7D52 AM4CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800xGPU ZOTAC RTX 3070tiRAM G.Skill Trident-Z Royal 32gb 2x16 3600MHz RAMSTORAGE 931GB Western Digital WD Green SN350 1TB [BOOT DRIVE] - ssd 931GB Western Digital WDC...
  3. Random Windows shutdowns without BSOD or dump/minidump

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random Windows shutdowns without BSOD or dump/minidump: SYSTEM SPECS - [ No Overclocks! ]MOBO MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI MS-7D52 AM4CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800xGPU ZOTAC RTX 3070tiRAM G.Skill Trident-Z Royal 32gb 2x16 3600MHz RAMSTORAGE 931GB Western Digital WD Green SN350 1TB [BOOT DRIVE] - ssd 931GB Western Digital WDC...
  4. Random Reboots with Windows 11: i7 13700k No BSOD, No Dump File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Reboots with Windows 11: i7 13700k No BSOD, No Dump File: I have tried changing out just about everything: Disabled Fast Start in Windows and in BIOS; Changed PSU: Changed RAM: Performed Clean install of Windows: Rolled back GPU drivers: I can't think of anything else. the Event ViewerLast Event: - <Event...
  5. BSOD / Memory Dump

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD / Memory Dump: The issue is:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 50Invalid system memory was referenced. This cannot be protected by try-except.Typically the address is just plain bad or it is pointing at freed memory.I have been having on and off crashing with this error as well...
  6. BSOD / Memory Dump

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD / Memory Dump: The issue is:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA 50Invalid system memory was referenced. This cannot be protected by try-except.Typically the address is just plain bad or it is pointing at freed memory.I have been having on and off crashing with this error as well...
  7. BSOD with Memory Dump

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BSOD with Memory Dump: I honestly have no idea how to read this, can anyone give me some pointers? Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 10.0.19041.1 AMD64 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Loading Dump File [c:\windows\minidump\071920-13656-01.dmp] Mini Kernel Dump File:...
  8. PC rebooting without BSOD or dumping memory

PC rebooting without BSOD or dumping memory: Hello, i don't know if this is the right subsection, since my problem is the PC shutting down and rebooting, but without showing any BSOD. If it's not kindly move it to a more appropriate one please. I set the options for the memory dump as shown in the sticky thread, but...
  9. Random reboots with no dump file created

Random reboots with no dump file created: The problem is my computer randomly reboots out of nowhere. It happens both while gaming and while mostly idle. The frequency is around once a day or two. It began around a week ago when I switched from HDD to SDD and performed a clean Windows install. I don't know if it's...
  10. Random Shutdown Memory Dumps: Reasons?

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Shutdown Memory Dumps: Reasons?: After I boot the system up in the morning, sometimes there is a memory dump file that is time stamped at the last shutdown. Shutdowns are done with no apps running, but with usual processes running. Shutdowns are done from the Windows pop up and there are no errors displayed...