Windows 10: Random spikes in disk usage while gaming or using chrome

Discus and support Random spikes in disk usage while gaming or using chrome in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; -Sorry for my bad english- I got a cheap laptop that I recently factory reset (is that how you say it?). As the title says, every 5 mins or less, above... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by bombolo2, Sep 1, 2020.

1. bombolo2 Win User

Random spikes in disk usage while gaming or using chrome

-Sorry for my bad english- I got a cheap laptop that I recently factory reset (is that how you say it?). As the title says, every 5 mins or less, above all while gaming i get dramatic frames drops due to these spikes in disk usage. First thing I did was disabling windows updates and that helped a bit. I also ran a test with windlg,either quick and long tests were negative. I read tons of threads on disk usage but most of them are about constant 100% usage while very few are isolated spikes, furthermore no resolutive solution was ever present in them. Uh the disk drive is an hdd 1Tb. I don't think is a ram related problem since 8 gigs seems enough to me for most games (like League of legends). Also no process in the taskbar seems the culprit during these spikes. Processor and ram usage are less then 60% all the time. So...what can i do?

PS: its my first thread, you guys can see the specs on my profile? also windows version is 1903 (build SO 180362.959)

:)

bombolo2, Sep 1, 2020
  2. PowerDj Win User

Seemingly random 100% disk usage spikes

I've noticed a problem recently with my disk usage ever since I installed Windows 10. At seemingly random intervals, whilst viewing task manager, I'll see my disk usage spike up to 100% without me doing anything, before it goes back down to normal levels.
    It seems to happen particularly often on startup. Looking at my processes through task manager, there seemed to be three main culprits for this: Google Chrome, Films and TV, and System. My PC has an HDD, if that makes any difference. Another interesting thing
    is that it doesn't cause any lag. However, I have noticed things crashing a lot more often since I installed Windows 10, and I suspect this could have something to do with it.

Does anyone know why this happens, and how I could possibly fix it?

PowerDj, Sep 1, 2020
  3. 1Dez Win User
    100% Disk usage spike on Windows 10

Recently I have experienced that when running most applications (especially gaming) my Laptop would have a disk usage spike to 99% or 100%. when I check the task manager there is no specific program using the disk, its just at 100% usually forcing me to
    do a hard restart. baring in mind that when I run the programs the usually run smoothly and very randomly the disk usage spikes. this has only been happening since downloading windows 10. I have read many threads and applied many fixes such as disabling SuperFetch,
    BIT service and windows update. I have also disable cloud based protection which seemed to work for some people but not for me, any other suggestions?

1Dez, Sep 1, 2020
  4. Random spikes in disk usage while gaming or using chrome

Windows 10 Random Disk Usage Spikes

Hey, I have the same problem where it constantly uses 20% of my disk usage and spikes higher. When I turn off real time protection it fixes the issue. What is a proper fix for this?

Thanks

BenMerrick, Sep 1, 2020
Thema:

Random spikes in disk usage while gaming or using chrome

1. Random spikes in disk usage while gaming or using chrome - Similar Threads - Random spikes disk

2. Random ping spikes while gaming

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Random ping spikes while gaming: Hi,I've been having this problem for a while now with my wifi. Whilst playing games I will go from a steady ~20ms to 300+ for about half a minute and then shoot back down.This is a similar question to this however I have a problem that he...
  3. Disk usage randomly and periodically spikes to 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk usage randomly and periodically spikes to 100%: Brand new CPU, motherboard and RAM, fresh OS install, complete format I even cleaned my disks with console command during this window when installing Windows where you have to choose drive to install OS on. Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 - not overclocked,...
  4. Completely Random spikes of 100% disk usage

Completely Random spikes of 100% disk usage: I am having a lot of trouble due to 100% disk usage by 'system' and 'registry' processes even when it is idle. I have tried so many solutions from a lot of places but none worked for me like disabling prefetch, superfetch and search, stopping antivirus processes, my pc is...
  5. Random spikes in disk usage while gaming or using chrome

in Windows 10 Support
    Random spikes in disk usage while gaming or using chrome: -Sorry for my bad english- I got a cheap laptop that I recently factory reset (is that how you say it?). As the title says, every 5 mins or less, above all while gaming i get dramatic frames drops due to these spikes in disk usage. First thing I did was disabling windows...
  6. Disk usage randomly spikes to 100% while idle and Memory usage at 50% in task manager.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk usage randomly spikes to 100% while idle and Memory usage at 50% in task manager.: I’ve checked crystaldiskinfo and it also says caution. I’m using an hdd in my laptop. I’m a novice when it comes to this stuff but my question is..... if I replace my HDD with an SDD will it solve my issues? I’ve tried all of the usual fixes (Diagtrack, Superfetch, virtual...
  7. Seemingly random 100% disk usage spikes

Seemingly random 100% disk usage spikes: I've noticed a problem recently with my disk usage ever since I installed Windows 10. At seemingly random intervals, whilst viewing task manager, I'll see my disk usage spike up to 100% without me doing anything, before it goes back down to normal levels. It seems to happen...
  8. Disk Usage Spikes to 100%

Disk Usage Spikes to 100%: Hi, I have an ASUS Laptop here with the following specs: Intel Optane 1TB HDD Intel Core i5 8300H at 2.7Ghz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 8GB RAM Windows 10 Home running Version 1909 OS Build 18363.592 I have reinstalled windows from a USB after backing up my files off the...
  9. Disk Usage randomly started spiking to 100%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Usage randomly started spiking to 100%: Hi guys! Really searching for a solution as I’ve tried a lot of things. I’ve had my gaming rig for years and never experienced any problems. This week however, the disk issue started. Every time I load up any game, my disk usage goes to 100% for approximately 30-45 seconds...
  10. Random ping spikes while gaming.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Random ping spikes while gaming.: I recently (about 2 weeks ago) started having random lag spikes while playing games. I only really notice it while playing online video games with friends, and i can tell that it is a ping issue not a frame rate issue. My Discord is also affected. My friends recommended...