Windows 10: Random spikes of high disk usage even with low mb/s

Discus and support Random spikes of high disk usage even with low mb/s in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've recently started having some problems with my computer and have noticed that I've been getting regular spikes of high disk usage even with a low... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by gumgajua, Nov 12, 2018.

1. gumgajua Win User

Random spikes of high disk usage even with low mb/s

I've recently started having some problems with my computer and have noticed that I've been getting regular spikes of high disk usage even with a low Mb\s. Seems to happen at random times and happens every time I open programs.

My Computer:

ASUS CM6870 with a GTX 1060 6GB and a 600w PSU

Windows 10

What I know:

-Doesn't seem to be tied to any specific process (although it usually just says System in Task Manager)

-Seems to happen at random times even with low Mb\s (but happens even at high Mb\s)

-Happens every single time I open any program or run scans

-Happens on every boot and has caused my boot to take a lot longer especially when it comes to actually logging into my account

-I can play games just fine except they take a long time to load

-Everything else on my PC seems fine

What I've done (that I can remember doing):

-Reinstalled windows using the Media Creation Tool but kept all my data

-Checked for Windows Updates and it says there are none, but I've noticed that when I run the update troubleshooter, it says there are pending updates that need to be installed, and when I press "Apply Fix" it states that it completes, but I get the same message every time I run the troubleshooter.

-Ran Malwarebytes scan, Adwcleaner, Anti-rootkit, Windows Defender, HitmanPro and all came up clean. I could possibly still have a virus hidden on my PC though

-Toggled Windows Defender

-Checked my disk using multiple programs like CrystalDiskInfo, Seatools, and HardDiskSentinel and they all say the drive is fine.

-Uninstalled the Drive in Device Manager

-Ran sfc /scannow and it found no errors (although I do believe it failed before I reinstalled windows)

-Disabled pagefile, enabled pagefile, set to custom values, set to automatic.

And that's all I can remember doing right now.

So far I'm at a complete loss as to what is going on and just can't seem to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated and hopefully I provided enough info. Let me know if you need any more info and I'd be happy to upload any files needed. Thanks so much.

:)

gumgajua, Nov 12, 2018
  2. AUTiger1 Win User

High Disk Usage

Hi all, I'm struggling with finding things to fix my high disk usage. I've spent many months searching the internet and doing all the listed suggestions like disabling SuperFetch, Windows Defender, Updating drivers, ect. and still I'm stuck with a high disk usage. Here's a screen shot I took immediately following a restart and opening up to a new Firefox window.

Random spikes of high disk usage even with low mb/s [​IMG]

I have noticed Service Host: Local System takes up quite a bit of disk usage and that if I close it and let it open back up all by itself then it immediately makes my disk usage drop into a much more manageable 40-60% usage range. But eventually after a while it maxes out again and I have to close it out again. It's an annoying step just to be able to use my computer.

Also, I have noticed that after working with my mom's computer today, that her disk usage when no programs are running is only like 5%. Makes me wonder why my computer can have no programs running but my disk usage never drops below 30% and sits in the 40-60% range with spikes up over 75%.

I honestly don't know enough about computers to do much more than I already have without causing major issues. BTW, just a couple weeks ago I had to do a Windows reinstall, not a complete reinstall, just the basic reinstall they allow you to do on Windows 10 where you still keep all your personal files. Ever since that a lot of times when I try to open a process like Run or Task Manager I'll get an error message that it can't open and then I do it again and it will open the second time.

Here's a screenshot of my computer information so you can see what I'm working with here.

Random spikes of high disk usage even with low mb/s [​IMG]

AUTiger1, Nov 12, 2018
  3. High Disk Usage with Low MB/s Ammount

For the last two weeks or so my computer has had a high Disk % usage; however, the amount of MB being used is next to none. This has obviously caused my computer to run exceedingly slow. I have tried a few reported fixes, but none have seem to have worked.
    I have tried changing the amount of virtual memory that can be used (16 gb) this had no effect. I have also tried a clean boot, this had no effect. I have tried a full scan with Norton as well is disk optimization, and temp file clean up, this had no effect
    either. I have disabled "Windows Search" process and "Supperfetch" (This was from a similar yet different problem where I had a high disk usage, but I did have a high MB% being used). I simply cannot find a fix anywhere so I have decided to ask for help from
    professionals who I assume know of some way to fix this without a clean install.

SPECS:

GFX: GTX 960

RAM: 2x 8 GB 240 pin DDR3

Processor: Intel i3 4150

Motherboard: ASUS H81M-K LGA 1150

Thank you,

Hunter Rogina (Doomed Monarch)

(P.S) I have attached two screenshots of both the Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

Also please note that I took the screenshot of the Resource Monitor before I ended the numerous CompatTelRunner.exe.

Random spikes of high disk usage even with low mb/s df8fea62-26eb-447c-8ae8-ad1626a07bb3.png

Random spikes of high disk usage even with low mb/s f76fd076-5396-42e2-9cdf-0b908cb12ab7.png

DoomedMonarch, Nov 12, 2018
  4. Random spikes of high disk usage even with low mb/s

Windows 10 Random Disk Usage Spikes

Hey, I have the same problem where it constantly uses 20% of my disk usage and spikes higher. When I turn off real time protection it fixes the issue. What is a proper fix for this?

Thanks

BenMerrick, Nov 12, 2018
Thema:

Random spikes of high disk usage even with low mb/s

1. Random spikes of high disk usage even with low mb/s - Similar Threads - Random spikes high

2. Disk usage randomly and periodically spikes to 100%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk usage randomly and periodically spikes to 100%: Brand new CPU, motherboard and RAM, fresh OS install, complete format I even cleaned my disks with console command during this window when installing Windows where you have to choose drive to install OS on. Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 - not overclocked,...
  3. Completely Random spikes of 100% disk usage

Completely Random spikes of 100% disk usage: I am having a lot of trouble due to 100% disk usage by 'system' and 'registry' processes even when it is idle. I have tried so many solutions from a lot of places but none worked for me like disabling prefetch, superfetch and search, stopping antivirus processes, my pc is...
  4. 100 disk usage spikes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100 disk usage spikes: So I've these problems with disk usage rising to 100% for 5-20 seconds every few minutes or so. Mind you this hard drive has run Windows 10 since February 2018 and I started having this problem in July 2019, so for almost two years Windows 10 has been smooth as butter. I can...
  5. Seemingly random 100% disk usage spikes

Seemingly random 100% disk usage spikes: I've noticed a problem recently with my disk usage ever since I installed Windows 10. At seemingly random intervals, whilst viewing task manager, I'll see my disk usage spike up to 100% without me doing anything, before it goes back down to normal levels. It seems to happen...
  6. Disk Usage Spikes to 100%

Disk Usage Spikes to 100%: Hi, I have an ASUS Laptop here with the following specs: Intel Optane 1TB HDD Intel Core i5 8300H at 2.7Ghz NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 8GB RAM Windows 10 Home running Version 1909 OS Build 18363.592 I have reinstalled windows from a USB after backing up my files off the...
  7. Disk Usage randomly started spiking to 100%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Usage randomly started spiking to 100%: Hi guys! Really searching for a solution as I’ve tried a lot of things. I’ve had my gaming rig for years and never experienced any problems. This week however, the disk issue started. Every time I load up any game, my disk usage goes to 100% for approximately 30-45 seconds...
  8. Random High Ping Spikes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Random High Ping Spikes: Internet, This is my first post ever, so no judge haha. Anyways, I've been having quite large ping spikes from 100-999+. It makes all online games pretty much unplayable, I'm not quite sure what the issue is after looking at 10+ different website, nothing seems to work. I've...
  9. Random spikes of high disk usage even with low mb/s

in Windows 10 Support
    Random spikes of high disk usage even with low mb/s: I've recently started having some problems with my computer and have noticed that I've been getting regular spikes of high disk usage even with a low Mb\s. Seems to happen at random times and happens every time I open programs. My Computer: ASUS CM6870 with a GTX 1060 6GB...
  10. Disk usage spikes to 100% and Low frame rate

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk usage spikes to 100% and Low frame rate: I have a new Windows 10 64-bit. I had MAJOR frame rate issues while playing The Witcher 3 video game (despite my machine surpassing the recommended specs) and peeked into the Resource Monitor and discovered enormous spikes in Disk Usage (at times 100%). My internet searches...