Windows 10: Random Subfolders are Added to MS Defender Exclusion Cannot Be Deleted

Discus and support Random Subfolders are Added to MS Defender Exclusion Cannot Be Deleted in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, just recently my laptop was infected with serious malware. Had to restore Windows 11. I am now seeing randomly added subfolders in MS Defender... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GrowthBlaster, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Random Subfolders are Added to MS Defender Exclusion Cannot Be Deleted

Hi, just recently my laptop was infected with serious malware. Had to restore Windows 11. I am now seeing randomly added subfolders in MS Defender exclusion settings and I cannot remove them. Has anyone here experienced this and was able to remove these? Here's a snapshot.

:)

GrowthBlaster, Jul 26, 2022
  2. Ryan Mon1 Win User

Unable to Remove Exclusions from Windows Defender

Thank you for posting back. If you trust a file, file type, folder, or a process that Windows Defender Antivirus has detected as malicious, you can stop Windows Defender Antivirus from alerting you or blocking the program by adding the file to
    the exclusion list. It seems that it was added automatically. We suggest that you follow these steps:

• Go to Settings and select Update & security.
    • Click Windows Defender.
    • Look for Exclusions and select Add an exclusion.
    • Navigate to the file, folder, or process, and select Exclude this file.

If the steps provided did not work, we recommend that you boot your device to
    Safe Mode
    and redo the process.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Ryan Mon1, Jul 26, 2022
  3. STRESSED Win User
    Windows Defender - The list of exclusions does not appear

I have this issue. I'm running 20H2 and 4.18.2011.6. I think it is at least partially a registry permissions issue, which has been alluded to above.

I don't feel like writing out a complete list of details, but in brief: After disabling "Tamper Protection" in Windows Defender, I used the extremely handy NirSoft "Advanced Run" utility to run Regedit as TrustedInstaller. (Running it as System did not work.) Then I renamed "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions" by simply adding a few characters to the end of "Exclusions". I renamed it rather than deleting it for safety, and because I expected the effect of renaming to be the same--i.e. that Windows Defender won't see it.

I then went into Windows Defender and re-added my path and process exclusions. Now, the exclusions appear haphazardly. Sometimes, my process exclusions show but the path exclusion do not. Sometimes, the exact opposite happens. Sometimes, they all show properly. (Edit: This seems to no longer happen. Please see my updated note below)

After quickly comparing the registry key permissions, it looks like the entire "Exclusions" key (and all keys beneath it) has one thing that the old one did not: Read permissions for "Everyone". (Technically, "Everyone" was given the following permissions: Query Value, Enumerate Subkeys, Notify, Create Link, and Read Control.) The old key doesn't have "Everyone" listed at all.

All the exclusions still exist in the registry, and the "Everyone" permission is present on each key. So, I have no idea what the problem is.

In case anyone wonders, under MpEngine, I have:

MpCampGradualRelease = 1
    MpCampRing = 3
    MpEngineRing = 3
    MpGradualEngineRelease = 1

Edit: The last few times I've looked at my exclusion list, they all appeared correctly. I'm not sure if I'm free of the issue or not, since the behavior earlier (where the entries appeared/disappeared haphazardly) was so bizarre. I did delete the "Exclusions" key that I had renamed earlier after carrying out the steps I outline above. Maybe Window Defender was confused by the entry that I had named "Exclusionsxxx", and deleting that key made everything work normally? That would be crazy.

STRESSED, Jul 26, 2022
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Random Subfolders are Added to MS Defender Exclusion Cannot Be Deleted

BlueSound OS conflict with Windows Defender

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that Windows Defender blocks BluOS app. It is very unusual that Windows Defender blocks the app. However, I would suggest you to try adding the app to the Exclusion list of Windows Defender and see if that helps.

To add the application to the Exclusion list, please refer the steps mentioned in the article

Add an exclusion to Windows Security

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 26, 2022
Thema:

Random Subfolders are Added to MS Defender Exclusion Cannot Be Deleted

1. Random Subfolders are Added to MS Defender Exclusion Cannot Be Deleted - Similar Threads - Random Subfolders are

2. Something keeps adding my drives to exclusions in Microsoft Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Something keeps adding my drives to exclusions in Microsoft Defender: As the title says, sometimes I check on exclusions in Microsoft Defender and find the C:\ drive I remove it from exclusions, but it keeps getting there, I don't know what or when it's being added there, now it's adding C:\ and D:\ I have two partitions on my SSD now it added...
  3. Exclusion keep get added

Exclusion keep get added: So, I accidentally run a virus yesterday frs.exe, and I already deleted it in %temp% and everything go back to normal. Until when I try to scan virus in windows defender Exclusions keep getting added even I have already deleted them. Do you have any idea how to fix this?OS:...
  4. Windows defender closes when adding remote share to exclusions

Windows defender closes when adding remote share to exclusions: I just did a clean install 21H1 few days back and until then I could add remote share to exclusions upgraded from clean install 20H2 but now every time I try to add remote share exclusion windows defender closes without exception. I can add local folders to exceptions without...
  5. Adding Exclusions of Drives to Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding Exclusions of Drives to Windows Defender: I need to add some drive letters as exclusions in the settings of Windows Defender in order that the drives with those letters may not be scanned when they are later created internally on the hard disk or are connected externally to the computer. But when I try to add an...
  6. Random files are getting automatically added in exclusion list of window defender.

Random files are getting automatically added in exclusion list of window defender.: Recently some random files started getting added in the exclusion list of my defender. The remove option of these files are disabled, so I can't even remove them. I think that these are viruses. Kindly help me. Thank You....
  7. Cannot add exclusions to Microsoft Defender + Defender real-time protection

Cannot add exclusions to Microsoft Defender + Defender real-time protection: Hi all, Three months ago I bought a brand new Dell XPS 15 9500, as it proved to be among the most reliable and powerful mid- to high-end machines on the market for an AI student like myself, with the occasional ability to run powerful models thanks to its GPU. Now, it has...
  8. windows defender exclusions

windows defender exclusions: My excluded list does not show up..so i cannot remove an added exclusion.. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-exclusions/86936ada-950c-4a94-8bc3-28269b62a257
  9. What are these weird folders that are already added to the windows defender exclusions list...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What are these weird folders that are already added to the windows defender exclusions list...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/s_ghoul [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hkjuod/what_are_these_weird_folders_that_are_already/
  10. Adding folder to exclusions list in Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Adding folder to exclusions list in Windows Defender: Hey guys, I have a folder that I am using for a programming class provided by my instructor, however Windows Defender is flagging it as a virus. He advised me that there is a way to prevent windows defender from scanning it, however I myself couldn't figure out how to add...