Windows 10: Ransom scam

Discus and support Ransom scam in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; i have been locked by a ransom scam. Ihave not paid anything but my macine is locked. On start up it only shows the screen with my name and asks for a... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by MichaelWilliamsKNG, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Ransom scam

i have been locked by a ransom scam. Ihave not paid anything but my macine is locked. On start up it only shows the screen with my name and asks for a password. I used a pin number. If i try trouble shooting by using the shift key and restart all the troubleshooting details are not open to me as they all need a password. I am using windows 10.

Michael

:)

MichaelWilliamsKNG, Mar 29, 2020
  2. djbbenn Win User

New Trojan that Demands a Ransom

There is a new virus out there discovered by virus hunters known as "Cryzip". The Trojan encrypts your files and then demands a $300 ransom for the decryption password to get your files back. After encrypting the files, the virus leaves a nice step-by-step guide of how to go about paying the ransom off. It's supposedly spread through email Spam, and has successfully evaded anti-virus scanners.

Source: eWeek

djbbenn, Mar 29, 2020
  3. topgundcp Win User
    startup password ransom

The same thing as suggested above (post #6)

topgundcp, Mar 29, 2020
  4. Ransom scam

RED Ransom Ware

FYI...Actual ransomware usually will have obvious indications (signs of infection)...it
    typically targets and encrypts data files so you cannot open them on your computer (and all connected drives at the time of infection), in most cases it appends an obvious extension to the end or beginning of encrypted filenames (although some variants do
    not), demands a ransom payment by dropping ransom notes in every directory or affected folder where data has been encrypted and sometimes changes Windows wallpaper. Somes types of ransomware will completely rename, encrypt or even scramble file names. Less
    obvious symptoms include adding or modifying registry entries and deletion of
    Shadow Volume Copies
    so that you cannot restore your files from before they had been encrypted but leaves the operating system working so the victim can pay the ransom. Further,
    when dealing with real ransomware, the cyber-criminals generally instruct their victims to contact them by email or website for decryption...they do not provide a phone number to call for assistance.

If there are no obvious extensions appended to your file names, no ransom notes, no demands of payment, your data is not actually encrypted and a phone number is provided to call, then you most likely are dealing with

fake ransomware
    Ranscam (Scam Ransomware)
    , a
    screen locker
    (lock screen), a browser pop-up or web page indicating that
    "your computer is infected with ransomware", “all your files are encrypted",
    "suspicious ransomware activity" or some other version of a

Tech Support Scam
    . Typically with browser pop-ups and bogus web page alert notifications, the scammers provide a phone number for their victims to call for assistance.

For more information about how these scams work and resources to protect yourself, please read
    Beware of Phony Emails & Tech Support Scams.

quietman7 - MVP, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

Ransom scam

1. Ransom scam - Similar Threads - Ransom scam

2. I am not sure what to do because someone is holding me ransom

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am not sure what to do because someone is holding me ransom: Greetings. I must convey news that could be somewhat disconcerting.1/30/2022 6:53:33 PM - Today marks a pivotal moment as I have infiltrated your device's operating system, obtaining full control over your account. Your digital presence has been under my watchful eye for a...
  3. I am not sure what to do because someone is holding me ransom

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I am not sure what to do because someone is holding me ransom: Greetings. I must convey news that could be somewhat disconcerting.1/30/2022 6:53:33 PM - Today marks a pivotal moment as I have infiltrated your device's operating system, obtaining full control over your account. Your digital presence has been under my watchful eye for a...
  4. I am not sure what to do because someone is holding me ransom

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Decryption tool for .cdtt Ransom ware extension

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Decryption tool for .cdtt Ransom ware extension: I have been attacked by a Ramsomware with extension .cdtt is there any decrytion tool to help me please..thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/decryption-tool-for-cdtt-ransom-ware-extension/7b00a337-45c9-4651-b671-d130b84be3fd
  6. Decryption tool for .cdtt Ransom ware extension

Decryption tool for .cdtt Ransom ware extension: I have been attacked by a Ramsomware with extension .cdtt is there any decrytion tool to help me please..thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/decryption-tool-for-cdtt-ransom-ware-extension/7b00a337-45c9-4651-b671-d130b84be3fd
  7. We need to unite as a team to stop these creeps from bullying older people to pay ransom....

in Windows 10 Gaming
    We need to unite as a team to stop these creeps from bullying older people to pay ransom....: Not only is this a larger group than we thought; there will be some enormous financial opportunities. The knowledge gap is also larger than anyone knows. The materials out now openly state and sometimes explain how to obtain and use tools to violate protected financials. How...
  8. Latest telephone ransom scam?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Latest telephone ransom scam?: I had a call today from a lady purporting to be from the Microsoft Technical Dept. She said my computer had some problems which is true, because I have been trying to fix the boot failure problem for 2 days now. and she can help by referring me to one of her technical...
  9. Spoofing Microsoft - Telephone scam - Fraudulent Webpage - Ransoms

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Spoofing Microsoft - Telephone scam - Fraudulent Webpage - Ransoms: Microsoft as of yet, does not have an easy way to notify the proper people in security of scams representing to be from MicroSoft. Impersonating a tradename / trademark is a federal offence. Microsoft makes it difficult to notify their security of these types of...
  10. Win 10 Mail App Ransom Hack Scam Nightmare

Win 10 Mail App Ransom Hack Scam Nightmare: After receiving a ransom email that correctly shows my name & password (see copy), I deleted the mail app from my computer. I still have all my emails on my online outlook.com account. I have reinstalled the mail app back onto my computer but have not been able to access...