Windows 10: Ransomeware protection with Windows Defender

Discus and support Ransomeware protection with Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I was recently shocked by a loud siren and threatening messages about my computer being infected and all files being lost. Near panic, I regained... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Grandpa Jim, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Ransomeware protection with Windows Defender

I was recently shocked by a loud siren and threatening messages about my computer being infected and all files being lost. Near panic, I regained enough calm to open Task Manager and shut down Edge. Everything then returned to normal and a full system scan found nothing amiss. I did, however, have trouble with the offline scan. A screen appeared asking me to choose my "keyboard layout," but the screen was frozen and I eventually had to shut down the computer by holding the power button.
    I stumbled across a Ransomeware Protection page in Windows Defender--and was surprised to find it "Off" by default. Why is that, and is it advisable to turn "Controlled folder access" on? Are there dangers here?

Also, isn't that protection covered by the UAC setting?
    Any suggestions or advice?

:)

Grandpa Jim, Dec 18, 2018

2. Protection from Ransomeware.

I have genuine Windows 10 installed on my laptop. How do I know that my system is protected from ransomeware "wannacry" malware.

harishkumar4you, Dec 18, 2018
  3. windows defender

Can windows defender protect ransomeware AKA wannacry virus?

LalbiakPhuoitong, Dec 18, 2018
  4. Le Boule Win User

Ransomeware protection with Windows Defender

Windows defender real time protection cant be turned on.

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled and functioning properly if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

You tried all suggestions in my previous post and Windows Defender “real time protection”
    still will not turn on?

Did you try everything suggested in Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10
    to include (but not limited to) running SFC, scanning for malware and running the software removal tools for any security software (AVG,
    McAfee, Norton, whatever) that may have previously been on the computer followed by a reboot? List of
    anti-malware product removal tools

Le Boule, Dec 18, 2018
Thema:

Ransomeware protection with Windows Defender

1. Ransomeware protection with Windows Defender - Similar Threads - Ransomeware protection Defender

2. ransomeware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ransomeware: Any methods of fix redeem ransomware atttack? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ransomeware/cf1e3208-dd7d-4f0c-be2c-b918890ab17b
  3. Ransomeware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ransomeware: Where will ransomeware install itself?Thanks for any help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ransomeware/1021a21c-2d7c-4a0e-b22d-9bdf40a5dd16
  4. Protect Shadow Copy From Ransomeware Attack in Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Protect Shadow Copy From Ransomeware Attack in Windows: Hi all I just want to know that is there any way to protect windows shadow copy from ransomware attack I heard that ransomware also delete shadow copy file by using command "vssadmin.exe delete shadows /all/quite" so if there is any way to protect shadow copy....
  5. Ransomeware Protection in Windows 10

Ransomeware Protection in Windows 10: Windows Security | Virus and Threat Protection | Ransomeware Protectiom | Controlled Folder Access | OFF Why is the default OFF? Is it adviseable to change this setting to ON? Why or why not?...
  6. Ransomeware

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ransomeware: Hii Team I have been using Windows 10 Licensed Version and have been Switched On all the defender settings and firewall options.But unfortunately My system is now affected by MEDS Ransomeware / Virus Whatever it is. I couldn't access any files in my system . EVERYTHING IS...
  7. Ransomeware / Malware Protection Insights

Ransomeware / Malware Protection Insights: As I have mentioned in previous posits, I would love to use Windows Defender however I have this red flag going off evert time I see people reporting ransomeware issues / decryption, malware/adware issues, calls or emails from various people and the need to run various tools...
  8. Ransomeware Protection

Ransomeware Protection: Just like to point out a short while ago Windows Security had Ransomeware Protection added to the System. However it is switched off by default please Folks turn it on. In the last two days the Folder Protection has three times blocked attempts to enter my Files. Also one of...
  9. How does Windows 10 Ransomeware Protection (in Defender) work?

How does Windows 10 Ransomeware Protection (in Defender) work?: I discovered this app recently but don't understand how to set it up or how it works. I turned it on and was then blocked from updating and saving any of my own files....
  10. Ransomeware Protection - Adding Applications to the Whitelist

Ransomeware Protection - Adding Applications to the Whitelist: I tried the Ransomware Protection option in Windows Security. Setup was easy. The problems arose the 1st time I used Quicken or Adobe Photoshop Elements. First problem was I had to write down the flagged executable I needed to add to the white list. Adding give access to the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does windows defender hVE ransomeware