Windows 10: Ransomeware Protection

Discus and support Ransomeware Protection in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Just like to point out a short while ago Windows Security had Ransomeware Protection added to the System. However it is switched off by default please... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by fedbil100, Apr 3, 2019.

1. fedbil100 Win User

Ransomeware Protection

Just like to point out a short while ago Windows Security had Ransomeware Protection added to the System. However it is switched off by default please Folks turn it on. In the last two days the Folder Protection has three times blocked attempts to enter my Files. Also one of the Grandkids wandered to a dangerous site that was probably a Defender warning. Go to Windows Security - Virus Protection- Scroll down to Ransomware Protection and switch the Toggle to on.

:)

fedbil100, Apr 3, 2019

2. Ransomeware protection with Windows Defender

Hello Andre,

I should have been clearer. It is the "Controlled folder access" inside the Ransomeware Protection function that is Off by default. When turned on, it lists all the folders on the computer. I wondered if there were potential hazards to this--possibly to
    explain why it is off by default.

I do use a limited user ("local") account.

Grandpa Jim, Apr 3, 2019
  3. Protection from Ransomeware.

I have genuine Windows 10 installed on my laptop. How do I know that my system is protected from ransomeware "wannacry" malware.

harishkumar4you, Apr 3, 2019
  4. Ransomeware Protection

How does Windows 10 Ransomeware Protection (in Defender) work?

This seems to have solved the problem. Turned on Ransomeware Protection in Defender. Followed your steps, but found a few variations. When determining the file location for EXCEL, the first time I tried it I found EXCEL (32-bit) listed, but Open File Location
    was grayed out when right clicked it. Clicked on the EXCEL item to expand it and found EXCEL listed under it again. Right-clicked that and was taken to the location C:/Program Files (X86)>Microsoft Office>root>Office16 where I found the app. Added to the allowed
    app list. I tried this a second time and was able to access the Open File Location menu item by right clicking the top level of EXCEL???

So far, I've tested this for EXCEL, Outlook, Word, and Quicken 2019. Am able to save in these apps now, when I wasn't able to before. Will just have to see what other apps encounter problems and add them to the list.

Thanks again.

Donald Eager, Apr 3, 2019
Thema:

Ransomeware Protection

1. Ransomeware Protection - Similar Threads - Ransomeware Protection

2. ransomeware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ransomeware: Any methods of fix redeem ransomware atttack? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ransomeware/cf1e3208-dd7d-4f0c-be2c-b918890ab17b
  3. i have ransomeware protection turned on, however when controlled file changes are blocked i...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i have ransomeware protection turned on, however when controlled file changes are blocked i...: I have been using ransomeware protection for a long while and I was creating an app, thus what I did was typed Set-ExecutionPolicy unrestricted into windows powershell, and accepted it for all, now nothing is showing up in the protection history and I do not wish to reset my...
  4. i have ransomeware protection turned on, however when controlled file changes are blocked i...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i have ransomeware protection turned on, however when controlled file changes are blocked i...: I have been using ransomeware protection for a long while and I was creating an app, thus what I did was typed Set-ExecutionPolicy unrestricted into windows powershell, and accepted it for all, now nothing is showing up in the protection history and I do not wish to reset my...
  5. Protect Shadow Copy From Ransomeware Attack in Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Protect Shadow Copy From Ransomeware Attack in Windows: Hi all I just want to know that is there any way to protect windows shadow copy from ransomware attack I heard that ransomware also delete shadow copy file by using command "vssadmin.exe delete shadows /all/quite" so if there is any way to protect shadow copy....
  6. Ransomeware Protection in Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Ransomeware Protection in Windows 10: Windows Security | Virus and Threat Protection | Ransomeware Protectiom | Controlled Folder Access | OFF Why is the default OFF? Is it adviseable to change this setting to ON? Why or why not?...
  7. Ransomeware / Malware Protection Insights

Ransomeware / Malware Protection Insights: As I have mentioned in previous posits, I would love to use Windows Defender however I have this red flag going off evert time I see people reporting ransomeware issues / decryption, malware/adware issues, calls or emails from various people and the need to run various tools...
  8. How does Windows 10 Ransomeware Protection (in Defender) work?

How does Windows 10 Ransomeware Protection (in Defender) work?: I discovered this app recently but don't understand how to set it up or how it works. I turned it on and was then blocked from updating and saving any of my own files....
  9. Ransomeware protection with Windows Defender

Ransomeware protection with Windows Defender: I was recently shocked by a loud siren and threatening messages about my computer being infected and all files being lost. Near panic, I regained enough calm to open Task Manager and shut down Edge. Everything then returned to normal and a full system scan found nothing...
  10. Ransomeware Protection - Adding Applications to the Whitelist

Ransomeware Protection - Adding Applications to the Whitelist: I tried the Ransomware Protection option in Windows Security. Setup was easy. The problems arose the 1st time I used Quicken or Adobe Photoshop Elements. First problem was I had to write down the flagged executable I needed to add to the white list. Adding give access to the...