Windows 10: Ransomware: A executive guide to one of the biggest menaces on the web

Discus and support Ransomware: A executive guide to one of the biggest menaces on the web in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Best defense is still to make backups regularly. *Wink Everything you need to know about ransomware: how it started, why it's booming, how to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Borg 386, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Borg 386 Win User

Ransomware: A executive guide to one of the biggest menaces on the web

Borg 386, Apr 12, 2017
  2. tom_912 Win User

Ransomware

excerpt of today's article from zdnet.com:

...Cybersecurity researchers have suggested the ransomware attacks are so potent because they exploit a a known software flaw dubbed EternalBlue. This Windows flaw is one of many zero-days which apparently was known by the NSA -- before being leaked

by the Shadow Brokers hacking collective
    Microsoft released a patch for the vulnerability earlier this year
    - but only for the most recent operating systems.

One thing many of the targets have in common is that they're running old Windows operating systems like Windows XP, Windows 8 and Windows Server 2003, which now only usually receive patches if the organisation using them are receiving special custom support.

Also:
    Ransomware: These four industries are the most frequently attacked
    |
    Windows 10 tip: Keep unwanted software off PCs you support
    |
    Will your business be next? Customizable ransomware makes it easy for criminals to target organisations
    |

Ransomware: An executive guide to one of the biggest menaces on the web

However, in order to ensure as many systems as possible are protected against WannaCrypt ransomware and other attacks, Microsoft has made security patches for Windows XP and other operating systems broadly available to download.

"This decision was made based on an assessment of this situation, with the principle of protecting our customer ecosystem overall, firmly in mind," the company told customers

in a blog post

Customers can now download security updates for
    Windows Server 2003 SP2 x64
    Windows Server 2003 SP2 x86,

Windows XP SP2 x64
    Windows XP SP3 x86
    Windows XP Embedded SP3 x86
    Windows 8 x86,
    and
    Windows 8 x64

Microsoft is continuing to work with customers to provide assistance as the situation evolves.

tom_912, Apr 12, 2017
  3. Omar BV Win User
    I can't get rid of my virus

You should have always an updated antivirus running in your computer, not just to fight against virus, also to detect and prevent malware, ransomware and other menaces.

Omar BV, Apr 12, 2017
  4. dencal Win User

Disconnect from Internet....Format and reinstall.....You do have a backup?....Change passwords on router and system....reconnect.
    I imagine It would be rare occurrence for a member of this forum to be caught out clicking on an e-mail link from an unknown source.

dencal, Apr 12, 2017
  5. sygnus21 Win User
    I don't assume anyone is immune. We're all human.

That said, knowledge does help in trying to avoid being caught up in this nasty trap.

sygnus21, Apr 12, 2017
  6. prikker Win User
    That's why you always must think twice, before clicking on anything.

prikker, Apr 12, 2017
  7. It is the new websites and codes you have to watch now. That is why you need a tech buddy to guide you around the web.

lopedoggie, Apr 13, 2017
  8. Borg 386 Win User

Unfortunately, it's getting smarter & harder to detect.

One of the most dangerous forms of ransomware has just evolved to be harder to spot | ZDNet

Borg 386, Apr 13, 2017
  9. New type of infection but yet the same old story.
    If a user isn't careful what they do and how they do it, the user will get infected.

20 years ago users were doing the same bad practices. Opening email from what ever and who ever.
    Downloading things for free that are not free. peer to peer, ect. ect.
    20 years later and after a zillion articles and post on the proper things to do and not to do; the same things are being done in the same fashion. The only difference is now the infections are more serious and their are a lot more of them.
    I do admit that security programs are a lot better now days but they still need help from the owner and or operator of the computing system.

Some today think security programs are nothing but bloatware that interfere with their peer to peer downloads.

Back to basic is still the best way in my opinion.
    Layered security protection.
    Backup, Backup and more backups.
    A little time learning by the owner and user of the computer on basic security.
    Security programs can not protect the computer from the nut in front of the keyboard 100% of the time.

Their will be no end to new types and methods of infections. One has to do a little learning and try to do things in a secure fashion.
    Security programs are much better today than they were 20 years ago by leaps and bounds but still need help by the humans behind the keyboard.

Jack

Layback Bear, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Ransomware: A executive guide to one of the biggest menaces on the web - Similar Threads - Ransomware executive guide

2. Biggest idiots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Biggest idiots: In microsoft are the most stupid people. Microsodt has the worst support among everyone. Someone stole my account, into i put more than 60€ and only thing microsoft was able to respond with, was that they can not give me my account back, they can only suspend my old account....
  3. Biggest idiots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Biggest idiots: In microsoft are the most stupid people. Microsodt has the worst support among everyone. Someone stole my account, into i put more than 60€ and only thing microsoft was able to respond with, was that they can not give me my account back, they can only suspend my old account....
  4. My One Drive is infected with Ransomware

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My One Drive is infected with Ransomware: My laptop got infected with ransomware yesterday. Somehow the unknown files uploaded itself to my One Drive since I have it Signed In and Sync every time I use my laptop. When I wanted to view my One Drive storage in my browser, OneDrive detected some files in there are...
  5. XBox One Guide button

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    XBox One Guide button: Hello, I recently updated windows 10 on my computer to the newest build and of course, I immediately ran into MAJOR problems. First and foremost... It is my computer Microsoft. If I have a button on a controller I WANT to use or a feature I do not want to use, I should be...
  6. Block Web Browsers Executing downloaded files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Block Web Browsers Executing downloaded files: hi guys, im looking for a way to stop a user downloading a exe and Opening it from the web browser. We are already using software security policies to stop execution from the temp folders etc but is there any other steps we could put in place?...
  7. Gamescom 2018 Xbox One Bundles and Accessories Guide

in Windows 10 News
    Gamescom 2018 Xbox One Bundles and Accessories Guide: You may have heard – at this year’s gamescom in Cologne, we announced eight new Xbox One bundles. In case that wasn’t enough, we also revealed three new Xbox Wireless Controller options, too. Whether you’re after the stunning Xbox One X Gold Rush Special Edition Battlefield V...
  8. Microsoft Just Fixed One of the Biggest Windows Update Annoyances...

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Just Fixed One of the Biggest Windows Update Annoyances...: Microsoft has a lot to fix in Windows 10 and the update that’s expected to launch in October or November is supposed to do just that and bring new features on PCs and tablets, such as extension support for Edge browser. But in the meantime, Redmond’s taking care of the...
  9. Watch out: These are biggest ransomware threats and they've grown

in Windows 10 News
    Watch out: These are biggest ransomware threats and they've grown: Cyberattacks using the most common forms of ransomware spiked during November, continuing the ongoing trend for growth in the use of the file encrypting malicious software by cyber criminals. Ransomware has exploded in 2016 and is increasingly targeting business networks...
  10. Ransomware: a declining nuisance or an evolving menace?

in Windows 10 News
    Ransomware: a declining nuisance or an evolving menace?: The volume of ransomware encounters is on a downward trend. Are we seeing the beginning of the end of this vicious threat?Unfortunately, a look at the attack vectors, the number of unique families released into the wild, and the improvements in malware code reveals otherwise....