Windows 10: Ransomware Attack! Had Windows Backup active but can't recover files

Discus and support Ransomware Attack! Had Windows Backup active but can't recover files in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello Guys! I'm new here, honestly never had problems with windows 10 until this time so i really need your help. So i was attacked by ransomware... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by fffr1983, Dec 18, 2018.

1. fffr1983 Win User

Ransomware Attack! Had Windows Backup active but can't recover files

Hello Guys!
    I'm new here, honestly never had problems with windows 10 until this time so i really need your help.

So i was attacked by ransomware yesterday, however i had Windows Backup funciotionality active. However i never need it so i never came across this problem.

So i formatted my computer, installed a clean OS everything is ok and now it's time to recover the backups.
    I go to my storage NAS where i had the backups beeing made and i find out i have lots (almost 200) of folders with the name:

Backup Set 2017-05-20 (first one)
    Backup Set 2017-05-27
    Backup Set 2018-12-15 (the last one)

So i understand this are timestamps of the backups.
    So i went to my last backup (15 December) and i saw i have lots of ZIP files on the inside.
    I extracted everything.
    However i noticed not all the files are present on this backup, so i went to older backups and i also see files there.

The biggest issue:
    I had large outlook PST files, some of them with 20GB.
    I can't find any of this PST files. What i do find is severall ZIP Files, and inside the ZIP files are the PST files but they aren't complete, they're with 200mb maximum and are in lots of ZIP files. the pst files have the same name so if i try to extract everything it says that it's going to overwrite the file.
    Also, inside the ZIP files i have the same PST file separated. With 200Mb ... 30Mb... 20Mb ...

How can i put together my PST files?
    Thank you!

I attach some pictures to explain better the situation

Ransomware Attack! Had Windows Backup active but can't recover files [​IMG]

:)

fffr1983, Dec 18, 2018

2. ransomware

Adding to
    Le Boule's
    comments...

The best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware and ransomware (crypto malware) infections is a

comprehensive approach
    to include prevention and your
    best defense is back up, back up, and more back up on a regular basis. When implementing a backup strategy
    include testing to ensure it works before an emergency arises; routinely check to verify backups are being made and stored properly; remove (disconnect) and isolate all backups from the network or home computer...if not, you risk ransomware
    infecting them when it strikes.

For more suggestions to protect yourself from ransomware infections, see my comments (Post #2) in this topic...Ransomware
    Avoidance
    ...it includes a list of prevention tools.

quietman7 - MVP, Dec 18, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    About Ransomware attack

Here is Microsoft's Customer Guidance on the Ransomware Attack:

• In March, we released a security update which addresses the vulnerability that these attacks are exploiting. Those who have Windows Update enabled are protected against attacks on this vulnerability. For those organizations who have not yet applied the
      security update, we suggest you immediately deploy Microsoft Security Bulletin MS17-010.

• For customers using Windows Defender, we released an update earlier today which detects this threat as Ransom:Win32/WannaCrypt.
      As an additional “defense-in-depth” measure, keep up-to-date anti-malware software installed on your machines. Customers running anti-malware software from any number of security companies can confirm with their provider, that they are protected.

• This attack type may evolve over time, so any additional defense-in-depth strategies will provide additional protections. (For example, to further protect against SMBv1 attacks, customers
      should consider blocking legacy protocols on their networks).

For the full article,
    Click HERE

DaveM121, Dec 18, 2018
  4. Ransomware Attack! Had Windows Backup active but can't recover files

What's the best Windows 10 backup strategy for a home user that can recover from a ransomware attack?

The best option is to create weekly offline backups using separate drives, so, in the event of a ransomware attack, you can simply boot from the backup and restore it.

Here are some tips for protecting your system:

How to Protect Your Computer From Ransomware - groovyPost

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/protect-window...

Andre Da Costa, Dec 18, 2018
Thema:

Ransomware Attack! Had Windows Backup active but can't recover files

1. Ransomware Attack! Had Windows Backup active but can't recover files - Similar Threads - Ransomware Attack Backup

2. encryption file recover for ransomware attack .mrv

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    encryption file recover for ransomware attack .mrv: Attention! All your files, documents, photos, databases and other important files are encrypted The only method of recovering files is to purchase an unique decryptor. Only we can give you this decryptor and only we can recover your files. The server with your decryptor is in...
  3. Ransomware attack

Ransomware attack: Ransomware attack on my pc. All my files such as photos, videos, apps, xlxs, pdf and every thing are encrypted. every file extension shown as *YGKZ format and could not open anything. ID appears to be an online ID encryption. how do i resolve this....
  4. Ransomware Attack

Ransomware Attack: I downloaded one file which was containing viruses and now all my Data is encrypted with .omfl extension and i have very important files on my pc. how to recover all file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ransomware-attack/305c4fbf-4a2e-4293-9c35-a3bf07f3602d
  5. Ransomware attack

Ransomware attack: Ransomware has attacked my pc. I cant do anything.please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/ransomware-attack/f0b64b4b-ea69-4af7-bb37-4f5e4a9ce363
  6. MED File ransomware attack

MED File ransomware attack: my photos are encrypted by MED file ransomware and their extention is now jpg.med , how can I decrypt it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/med-file-ransomware-attack/8023a104-d72e-4fad-9611-7d74b1a247a5"
  7. Ransomware Attack

Ransomware Attack: I have been attacked by ransomware. Is there any way to remove and decrypt the files? Or I have to completely format my hard drive? Seeking attention to Microsoft community. I have attached some screen shots. I am not sure about the ransom type yet. [IMG] [IMG]...
  8. Ransomware attack

Ransomware attack: Hello guys, i have a problem and i need help. to cut the long story short, my computer is infected with a ransomware (with ''nelasod'' extension on all docx, xlx, ppt and videos files). This has made it difficult to open any of my document in my external hard drive. It seems...
  9. Ransomware Attack! Had Windows Backup active but can't recover files

in Windows 10 Support
    Ransomware Attack! Had Windows Backup active but can't recover files: Hello Guys! I'm new here, honestly never had problems with windows 10 until this time so i really need your help. So i was attacked by ransomware yesterday, however i had Windows Backup funciotionality active. However i never need it so i never came across this problem. So...
  10. Ransomware Attack

Ransomware Attack: Hello Dear all hope that you all doing well. Somone just hacked my pc.my all files stored on hard drive is converted to PPTX.how can i fix it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/ransomware-attack/659f8e54-0800-4449-95f0-94604fae69f6

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ransomware attacks on backup