Windows 10: RANT: If tablets and smartphones are such a small percentage of Microsoft's market, why do...

Discus and support RANT: If tablets and smartphones are such a small percentage of Microsoft's market, why do... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've never seen a response to this type of question before from anyone but other users, and I don't expect any different here, which is why I won't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Kizzume Fowler, Jul 17, 2018.

1. RANT: If tablets and smartphones are such a small percentage of Microsoft's market, why do...

I've never seen a response to this type of question before from anyone but other users, and I don't expect any different here, which is why I won't bother trying to reserve how I feel.

Why is Microsoft pushing so hard for UWP? Modern/Metro/UWP has been around since 2012, that's six years that an architecture has been available, and yet no major creative software companies have jumped on board for any fully-optioned professional versions of apps via UWP. The only things available for UWP are apps that have the limited functionality of mobile devices. Again, that's six years and NOTHING but mobile-style apps. Even the brand new apps Microsoft is introducing (VR-related) have a layout and limited functionality that one would expect out of a mobile device.

It seems that virtually everything Microsoft is working on has to do with the expansion of UWP, and especially Edge. New improvements to Windows? Edge! Hey have you tried Edge? Granted, they've actually thankfully been working for months on a dark theme for Explorer (why it's taking so long I don't know), and they're adding more functionality to Notepad (of all things).

But what data is Microsoft looking at that says that they need to go a direction so blatantly different than the general populous' desires? Why didn't they go the route of trying to make Windows 10 have all the things that people liked about Windows 7?

I mean, basic things still aren't working right. The Photos app still doesn't work for a lot of people to import photos from their cameras--I've had to show countless people how to copy files by hand as a result, many just gave up because they didn't want to go through that much hassle. On Windows 7 it was always flawless. The reason why people like Windows 7 is that it simply works for everything they want to do, Windows 7 was like Apple's old motto: It just works. Windows 7 was the best software Microsoft ever released. I still use Windows 10 because it runs some things faster and more efficiently than 7, but if it didn't, I'd be still using 7.

The apps in Windows 10 that are set to be the standard for displaying pictures, videos, audio, none of them work quite right yet (they all have strange little bugs or problems, like a crisp 25 megapixel photo displaying as blurry that normally displays perfectly clear in Windows Photo Viewer, or having to look at ads just to play an audio file)--they're still not that much improved from their 2012 Windows 8 counterparts. That's a long time to have faulty software. I mean, why can't you ever take back decisions and go back to things that worked? Why not improve Windows Media Player? Why not improve Windows Photo Viewer? Why focus so heavily on a degraded experience for PCs? Is it that hard to admit you made a mistake, or is there something else going on here? Is UWP telemetry making Microsoft a lot of money?

Your most recent move with Skype (dropping the Desktop model that had tons more options and replacing it with mobile-app limited-functionality) just cements this in even more. Being able to have 1080p video discussions isn't worth the options and layouts that were lost, that's not a reasonable trade-off. But again, it's pushing this idea that PCs should act more like mobile devices. Sorry, I have a computer with a real OS for a reason, and that reason is that it doesn't act like a mobile OS, I have options, I have programs with lots of options, I have professional-grade software that puts out professional-looking results, not Instagram-grade software.

The message Microsoft is sending to everyone, whether intentionally or not, is: "Ha ha! We're going to continue to degrade your computing experience and there's nothing you can do about it!"

Why are you doing this? Honestly, with the rate you're going, I wouldn't put it past you to start limiting internet-related Desktop functionality by 2020 and claim it's for security reasons and that people should just get some (nonexistent) apps at the Microsoft Store to replace 3rd party Desktop software that previously worked fine, or claim that those software companies need to update to UWP.

:)

Kizzume Fowler, Jul 17, 2018

2. Best windows 8 tablet?

I've apple ipod touch 4g, google nexus 4, hp envy 17 3d, so using all 3 OS - iOS, android, windows 7.

I dont have any tablet yet..thinking to buy windows 8 tablet..

i like hp envy x2 much..tablet cum notebook..

but microsoft surface and many other good tablets in market and i dont have idea..

suggest me best windows 8/?RT tablets..

thx..

freebird_9924, Jul 17, 2018
  3. Best tablet / notebook pc?

Hello,

I've apple ipod touch 4g, google nexus 4, hp envy 17 3d, so using all 3 OS - iOS, android, windows 7.

I dont have any tablet yet..thinking to buy windows 8 tablet..

i like hp envy x2 much..tablet / notebook..

but microsoft surface and many other good tablets in market and i dont have idea..

suggest me best windows 8/?RT.other tablets / notebook pc..

thx..

freebird_9924, Jul 17, 2018
  4. Vinodh.V Win User

RANT: If tablets and smartphones are such a small percentage of Microsoft's market, why do...

Tablet Mode doesn't automatically turn on

Hi Roice,

We suggest you to follow the below steps to make the tablet mode permanent:

• Click start and select settings.
    • Select settings and then select tablet mode.
    • Now you have different options to choose from, please choose settings that suits you.
    Hope this information helps.

Vinodh.V, Jul 17, 2018
Thema:

RANT: If tablets and smartphones are such a small percentage of Microsoft's market, why do...

1. RANT: If tablets and smartphones are such a small percentage of Microsoft's market, why do... - Similar Threads - RANT tablets smartphones

2. hopeless Microsoft store app! Rant

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hopeless Microsoft store app! Rant: Honestly I'm Microsoft user since DOS 3.3 till nowive seen my fair share of crappy products of Microsoft like Win Millennium, windows 8 etc ...but to make it icing on the cake is this Windows Store APP when its crash nothing works you can't even use basic software of windows...
  3. Just a random rant cause why not

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Just a random rant cause why not: Till 1803 you could restore classic context menus with just a simple registry edit, but then microsoft decided to disable that. Ffs just why? Annoying af. There's one project on github that can restore it but it doesn't work perfectly and have certain issues. Annoying....
  4. Why desktop computers are more expensive than smartphones in the market?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why desktop computers are more expensive than smartphones in the market?: Like a new desktop computer it's price 300 dollars and above While a price of a smartphone is 100 dollars and above https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-desktop-computers-are-more-expensive-than/576f30c1-2b7e-4752-8919-a728d0f26fdc
  5. Why desktop computers are more expensive than smartphones in the market?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why desktop computers are more expensive than smartphones in the market?: Like a new desktop computer it's price 300 dollars and above While a price of a smartphone is 100 dollars and above https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-desktop-computers-are-more-expensive-than/576f30c1-2b7e-4752-8919-a728d0f26fdc
  6. Why desktop computers are more expensive than smartphones in the market?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Samsung Galaxy Smartphones and Tablets Android Enterprise Recommended

in Windows 10 News
    Samsung Galaxy Smartphones and Tablets Android Enterprise Recommended: Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. today announced that it will join Android Enterprise Recommended, a Google-led program aimed at making it easier for enterprise businesses to integrate mobile solutions into their operations. Samsung’s participation in the program...
  8. Microsoft’s Windows 10 devices see growth in competitive tablet market

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s Windows 10 devices see growth in competitive tablet market: According to research firm Strategy Analytics, Microsoft is seeing growth in the tablet but Apple is regaining market share over its competitors. As always things aren’t looking much better in the tablet business. The tablet market continues to be impacted by a few major...
  9. Microsoft’s affordable Surface tablets will be primarily aimed at the education market

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s affordable Surface tablets will be primarily aimed at the education market: Last week, we reported that the Microsoft is planning to launch an affordable Surface tablet with Windows 10. Meanwhile, more information about this upcoming device surfaced online. The upcoming Surface tablet is specially designed by focusing schools and educational...
  10. convert audio cd to smartphone/fire tablet

in Windows 10 Support
    convert audio cd to smartphone/fire tablet: Hi guys, Can anyone show me an easy(free) way to play an audio cd (In this case a language tutorial) on my Fire tablet or smartphone. Thanks. Bill 82982