Windows 10: RANT: Resolution scaling between QUHD, UHD and FHD.

Discus and support RANT: Resolution scaling between QUHD, UHD and FHD. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I hate that Windows doesn't keep proper scaling levels when changing resolution. If I change resolution from 3840x3160 at 200% to 7680x4320, you'd... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/KeepSwedenSwedish, Feb 16, 2020.

1. RANT: Resolution scaling between QUHD, UHD and FHD.

I hate that Windows doesn't keep proper scaling levels when changing resolution.

If I change resolution from 3840x3160 at 200% to 7680x4320, you'd expect scaling to be 400%. But nope, Windows decides to use 350%.

Going from 7680x4320 at 400%, down to 3840x2160 should mean it should be at 200%, but nope again, it's 225%.

So why does it go from 3840x2160 at 200% down to 100% when I set it to 1920x1080? Shouldn't it be inconsistent there as well and go for 125%?

Even it's inconsistency is inconsistent.

submitted by /u/KeepSwedenSwedish
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/KeepSwedenSwedish, Feb 16, 2020
  2. Garion Win User

High resolution monitor extended with a lower resolution monitor scaling issues

I've got a laptop with a UHD display connected via a USB3 dock to a normal monitor with Full HD. This runs Windows 10 professional.

I seem to have a bit of a problem between the scaling of items between the two monitors. Sometimes (but not all the time), icons and displays will get confused as to what monitor it's running on.

To explain this, desktop icons on the FHD display sometimes are scaled at 200%, and other times the icons the UHD display display at 100%. Additionally, certain windows and texts are blurry, almost like they are being scaled up/down and then reduce/enlarged to properly match the display.

I've also attached an image of what sometimes happens when moving between monitors. In this case, I'm moving a window from the UHD display to to the FHD display, and during the time when it crosses both windows, it appears on the larger of the two monitors at 200%, and remains this way until the window has been completely enclosed by the FHD monitor (at which point scales down to 100%).

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this?

RANT: Resolution scaling between QUHD, UHD and FHD. ffRbD.png

Garion, Feb 16, 2020
  3. Cestarian Win User
    High resolution monitor extended with a lower resolution monitor scaling issues

If you have an Nvidia or AMD graphics card, you can use the DSR (dynamic super resolution; nvidia) or VSR (virtual super resolution; amd) option to allow your smaller monitor to run at the same resolution as your bigger one and then get downscaled to fit the screen, this works surprisingly well but only for extended displays (if you try to duplicate the displays this option is disabled) so for example for a UHD display and FHD display you would have to enable DSR 4x on the FHD display, then go to the screen resolution settings and set the FHD screen to UHD resolution in order for this to work, the computer will think you have 2 UHD screens now and everything should scale the same across the displays.

Intel iGPUs do not have this feature yet. This will cause a performance loss, but will also actually increase the image quality of your smaller display in return so it's a somewhat ideal solution.

AMD and Nvidia have also (as of this writing) not yet implemented support for this feature in Linux, but I may look into a way to do this on Linux later and update this post if I remember.

Cestarian, Feb 16, 2020
  4. RANT: Resolution scaling between QUHD, UHD and FHD.

FHD(1080p) vs UHD(4k) for gaming: Any downside to UHD besides price?

Hey all,

I recently purchased a Lenovo Y700 (15.6 inch laptop) with UHD for $100 over the model with FHD. I know this is a gaming laptop, and I assume the graphics card will not be able to run new games at UHD resolution. The graphics card is GTX 960M 4GB.

So here is my question: If I put the display or games at 1080p resolution, will it look and perform the same way as the FHD screen? Basically, I am just wondereing if I lose anything by upgrading to the UHD screen. I figure it could be a win/win. 4K resolution when I want it when not gaming, and perhaps 1080p mostly when gaming. I saw a video where someone said 1080p does not look great on a 4k monitor, even though it makes sense that it would, since 4 pixels on a 4k screen equal 1 pixel on a 1080p screen.

Thanks!

Matt

Mworenstein, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

RANT: Resolution scaling between QUHD, UHD and FHD.

1. RANT: Resolution scaling between QUHD, UHD and FHD. - Similar Threads - RANT Resolution scaling

2. Screen and resolution Scale problem.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen and resolution Scale problem.: I have my screen resolution set to 1080p default, but when I open a game that has set by me 1600x900p resolution, the display just shrinks into a small rectangle, I can't find a solution to make it full screen, This game worked well when I played it last time many months ago...
  3. resolution scaling problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    resolution scaling problem: My display resolution is overscaling . How to fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resolution-scaling-problem/f9f1f034-e65c-4c06-9f21-35386efc1f1e
  4. resolution scaling problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    resolution scaling problem: My display resolution is overscaling . How to fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/resolution-scaling-problem/f9f1f034-e65c-4c06-9f21-35386efc1f1e
  5. Issues with resolution and scaling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with resolution and scaling: I am using a Lenovo laptop with 3840x2160 resolution while also connected to a monitor with a 1920x1080 resolution. I have both monitors set to 1920x1080 with 100% scaling, and I'm getting all kinds of resolution issues. I have already tried messing with the scaling, and that...
  6. Issues with resolution and scaling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with resolution and scaling: I am using a Lenovo laptop with 3840x2160 resolution while also connected to a monitor with a 1920x1080 resolution. I have both monitors set to 1920x1080 with 100% scaling, and I'm getting all kinds of resolution issues. I have already tried messing with the scaling, and that...
  7. Issues with resolution and scaling

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Does scaling reduce resolution?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does scaling reduce resolution?: i have a 27inch 1440p monitor. the texts are really small. so i put the scaling from 100% to 125%. but now things look more blurry. Is the resolution no longer 1440p? also, since expanding to 125%, my mouse is not as responsive as before. i think it has probelms registering...
  9. Monitor Scaling and resolution

Monitor Scaling and resolution: I have a 2 monitor setup on windows 10. I have a 23.8 inch 1440p monitor, and a 31 inch 1080p television as my second monitor. In the windows display settings menu it assumes the 1080p tv is smaller than the 1440p monitor despite it being the opposite. Is there a way to input...
  10. Screen Resolution and scaling

Screen Resolution and scaling: So i have my computer hooked up to my T.V./monitor and it doesnt seem to matter what i set my scaling or resolution to i just cant get it to fit on screen right does anyone have any insight on how to maybe fix this problem?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. uhd blurry at fhd