Windows 10: [Rant] Windows 10 Pro restarted a few days later after it updated

Discus and support [Rant] Windows 10 Pro restarted a few days later after it updated in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I care about Windows Updates and want my Windows 10 updated. But... I want to have control when the computer is restarted. I have a Windows 10 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nmp5, Feb 14, 2020.

1. /u/nmp5 Win User

[Rant] Windows 10 Pro restarted a few days later after it updated

I care about Windows Updates and want my Windows 10 updated.
    But... I want to have control when the computer is restarted.

I have a Windows 10 Pro (genuine).

I'm a busy person, and have many open things open while I'm working.

I saw Windows updates were installed, and was having those system tray popups saying that I have to restart the PC. No problem - I understand, and will restart whenever I am ok to close my stuff.

But no... after two (?) days, Windows 10 just decided to do it overnight without my consent.

All my open stuff, which I don't know anymore what was open, were closed.
    Things I had open so I could remember to come back... all gone. I can try to remember, but I don't know if I'll remember everything.
    Sometimes I have unsaved open Notepads with some notes... gone.

I really need this to be reliable. If I go sleep, I expect that when I come back, I have everything ready to start again.
    I can't have Windows 10 restart like this, without me being ready for that.

I don't care what hacks are needed, I just don't want Windows 10 to update until I'm ready. Period.
    Please, suggestions.

And please, no comments like "you have to be more responsible, keep your system always up to date, etc..." -- it's MY responsibility, and 1 week delay will not be a problem for most kind of updates. If there is a huge exploit going on, I'm sure I will be aware of it and proceed with the update as soon as it arrives.

submitted by /u/nmp5
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/nmp5, Feb 14, 2020

2. Windows 10 upgrade rant..

The free space shouldn't prevent you from upgrading to built 1607. I manually upgraded my own laptop which had only 9gigs free space left on the system drive.

I unzipped the Windows 10 Pro anniversary edition ISO on my D drive, and started the upgrade process from there. At one point the installer complained about not having enough free space on the main drive, i just had to point it to the D drive to proceed to the next step. Now the rollback installation is stored there and doesn't clog up the C drive anymore.

In your case you could insert a large sdcard to act as the required rollback drive, i'm pretty sure it would do the trick.

Oh and by the way, if you want to further compress your System files:
    • do a search Command Prompt, right-click it, and select Run as administrator.
    • Type COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and hit Enter.
    You'll will gain anything from 2 to 4 gigs free space after it's done.

blobster21, Feb 14, 2020
  3. Windows 10 malware

Uh, a few days ago (7/15), a lot of "important security updates" were put out on Windows Vista-8.1 that required multiple restarts to fully install. It surprised me too because updates usually don't require more than one restart. Anyway, GWX was one of the updates your computer grabbed but it was NOT the update requiring restarts. GWX never requires a restart.

Windows 7 list:
    KB3045305
    KB3067903
    KB3069762
    KB3070102
    KB2069392
    KB3065822
    KB3070738
    KB3072633
    KB3057154
    KB3072630
    KB3077657
    KB3067505

FordGT90Concept, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

1. [Rant] Windows 10 Pro restarted a few days later after it updated - Similar Threads - Rant Pro restarted

2. Why my window 10 pro update complete 100%, but after few seconds the update was restart?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why my window 10 pro update complete 100%, but after few seconds the update was restart?: Why my window 10 pro update complete 100% but after few seconds the update was restart? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-my-window-10-pro-update-complete-100-but-after/f2c6a8b5-eb78-4c44-a582-9b3fcec8d5ee
  3. Why my window 10 pro update complete 100%, but after few seconds the update was restart?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why my window 10 pro update complete 100%, but after few seconds the update was restart?: Why my window 10 pro update complete 100% but after few seconds the update was restart? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-my-window-10-pro-update-complete-100-but-after/f2c6a8b5-eb78-4c44-a582-9b3fcec8d5ee
  4. Why my window 10 pro update complete 100%, but after few seconds the update was restart?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows Update a few days ago

Windows Update a few days ago: Hello one and all, A few days ago, I had a WINDOWS Update for a WINDOWS 10 PC. Since then, I have been experiencing problem after problem with my apps. They are not working or audio not heard. I went to the virtual chat yesterday evening, and was told they were connecting...
  6. After latest Update, Windows 10 Pro will not restart?

After latest Update, Windows 10 Pro will not restart?: I just today, August 31, 2020, installed an update to Windows 10 Pro. When it restarted, all that happened was a black screen with a flashing white cursor in the upper left of the screen. Panicked, I inserted my Windows 10 System Repair Disk that I created when I updated from...
  7. RANT: Done with Updates!!!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    RANT: Done with Updates!!!: I'm so infuriated! Yesterday, Microsoft made me force me update my PC to a security update that can't be uninstalled on July the 26th!!!! WHY CAN'T MICROSOFT JUST EVER MAKE A VERSION OF WINDOWS 10 WHERE YOU CAN ACTUALLY TURN OFF UPDATES LIKE IN WINDOWS 7 AND XP!!!?!?!?!...
  8. Windows rant

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows rant: [ATTACH] Not here to talk bk n forth about it, just a rant I literally cannot help but notice more than ever these idiotic stuff pertaining to the way windows decides to operate.. First of all I use single and NOT double click to select things. Now, why is it when...
  9. Keyboard and touchpad stopped working a few days after windows 10 update!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard and touchpad stopped working a few days after windows 10 update!: I am having a weird problem with my laptop. It's keyboard and touchpad stooped working a few days after windows 10 upgrade. I have tried so many thing to resolve the issue! I restarted several times. I tried log in in safe mode. didn't work. I updated the drivers....
  10. Windows 10 Not Activated a Few Days After Reset?

Windows 10 Not Activated a Few Days After Reset?: So... I just noticed that my Windows 10 recently became unactivated after a reset? It was activated at first. Now, the activation option in the PC settings is showing nothing it's completely black. I can scroll and the pointer cursor does come up in two spots both of which...