Windows 10: rapid delta restore - malware

Discus and support rapid delta restore - malware in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; will the rapid delta restore of macrium reflect also remove malware when you have an image w/o malware? 151852 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by louis14, Mar 7, 2020.

1. louis14 Win User

rapid delta restore - malware

will the rapid delta restore of macrium reflect also remove malware when you have an image w/o malware?

:)

louis14, Mar 7, 2020
  2. cereberus Win User

Macrium Reflect Rapid Delta Restore

Just done an interesting test comparing MR V7 versus V6.

New feature of V7 is it compares source and target and only restores files missing or changed (I assume it deletes ones in target not in source - have not yet tested that).

So I initially created a Macrium image of 3.82 GB files in 5GB VHD, and did following restores. I rebooted between each restore to ensure no files were cached.

1) V7 - restored - 218 seconds

2) V7 - rebooted, restored again - 15 secs (found nothing to restored but still updated mbr etc.)

3) V7 rebooted, deleted 0.52 GB (3.30 GB left), then restored 40 secs (RDR)restored all files, then rebooted to another W10 install with V6

4) V6 - restored image again (over old image) - 230 seconds

5) V6 rebooted , deleted same files, then restored - 230 seconds (no RDR)

As you can see

a) v7 seems to be slightly faster for full restore (step 1 and 4)

b) If you restore over image where all files same, V7 does not change anything but does update mbr etc. as in step 2. V6 does a full restore - step 4.

c) If you restore with v7 where some files have been deleted (step 3), v7 only restores delete files (Rapid Delta Restore - here took only 40 seconds for roughly 1/8 of files. V6 does a full restore (step 5).

Conclusion: V7 and RDR is awesome. Does any other well known imaging tool even come close!

EDIT: I have just discovered RDR was in the paid version of V6 as well. I was comparing apples and oranges as V6 Free does not have RDR. Whether V7 Free will have it remains to be seen. Nonetheless, RDR is great, and IMO this is a significant differentiator (incremental images were also but to a lesser degree).

cereberus, Mar 7, 2020
  3. cereberus Win User
    Macrium Reflect Home Rapid Delta Restore

Well oday, my pc upated from 10563.13 to latest sub build and I was got 3 BSODS in less than an hour - the page fault in nonpaged area one - always a nightmare to sort.

So I decided to restore an image I took a few days ago.

I was amazed - it reverted me to 10563.0 in 3.5 minutes (around 60 GB backup image). The Rapid Delta Restore of the Home version is awesome. It would normally take me about 20 minutes! It is worth buying a licence just for RDR alone!

cereberus, Mar 7, 2020
  4. cereberus Win User

Screwed up BCD and Rapid Delta Restore from Macrium Reflect Free

Yesterday, I was using easybcd to modify my bcd boot entries, and it glitched badly, adding loads of boot entries for usb drives etc. plus old boot entries I had previously go rid off - obviously I had corrupted the bcd somehow., picking up old data which had not been fully deleted.

MSconfig only listed the ones I needed, but from advanced System properties, it listed all these extra ones.

I tried to use Macrium Reflect Free to rebuild bcd which is what I usually do, but this made no difference!

I then messed around trying to delete them using bcdedit commands. I could see these extra entries with bcdedit but not easybcd. No matter what I tried, I got nowhere (probably due to my lack of in-depth knowledge)

As it happens, I had only made a full image backup with Macrium Reflect Home the day before, so in the end, after an hour of so, I thought WTH, just restore the backup.

I told Macrium to delete all partitions on drive just to make sure no hangovers from what I had just been trying.

What is interesting is MRH basically ignored that as its default mode is Rapid Delta Restore. TBH I assumed it would do a full backup if I told it to delete all partition, but it did a Rapid Delta Restore in less than 5 minutes whereas a Full Restore would have taken around 30+ minutes.

So I rebooted anyway, and hey presto everything was fine again.

RDR is definitely the canine's fluffy bits, and that feature alone makes buying the Home version rather than using the free version well worth it.

cereberus, Mar 7, 2020
Thema:

1. rapid delta restore - malware - Similar Threads - rapid delta restore

2. How to restore Windows Secuirty after a malware infection?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore Windows Secuirty after a malware infection?: Hello, yesterday I suspected that my computer has been infected. A game I tried to play a game and it warned me that there has been a critical memory security check failed so I decided to reset my computer. After resetting, something happened to my Windows Security app and...
  3. How to restore Windows Secuirty after a malware infection?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to restore Windows Secuirty after a malware infection?: Hello, yesterday I suspected that my computer has been infected. A game I tried to play a game and it warned me that there has been a critical memory security check failed so I decided to reset my computer. After resetting, something happened to my Windows Security app and...
  4. Computer is rapidly clicking

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer is rapidly clicking: My computer has been having his problem where after booting and waiting of a few minutes, the mouse would start rapidly clicking on its own. It would also press E rapidly. I have tried updating drivers, restarting, and all of the simple task but nothing seems to work. I am...
  5. Computer is rapidly clicking

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer is rapidly clicking: My computer has been having his problem where after booting and waiting of a few minutes, the mouse would start rapidly clicking on its own. It would also press E rapidly. I have tried updating drivers, restarting, and all of the simple task but nothing seems to work. I am...
  6. Malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Malware: I was on the computer paying bills. A bright red screen appeared. It was some sort of screen for wifi protection. The company name was Network Help. The address given was 1023 Independence Blvd., Virginia Beach, VA 23462. The phone number given was 1-855-295-0715, the...
  7. Restore specific backup date to get rid of malware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore specific backup date to get rid of malware: I have malware that has infested my Chrome browser with Yahoo and I cannot get rid of it. I want to restore my system back to August 20, 2018 to see if that will get rid of it. None of the malware software programs has had any effect whatsoever. Help Me!!...
  8. Macrium Reflect Rapid Delta Restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect Rapid Delta Restore: Just done an interesting test comparing MR V7 versus V6. New feature of V7 is it compares source and target and only restores files missing or changed (I assume it deletes ones in target not in source - have not yet tested that). So I initially created a Macrium image...
  9. Screwed up BCD and Rapid Delta Restore from Macrium Reflect Free

Screwed up BCD and Rapid Delta Restore from Macrium Reflect Free: Yesterday, I was using easybcd to modify my bcd boot entries, and it glitched badly, adding loads of boot entries for usb drives etc. plus old boot entries I had previously go rid off - obviously I had corrupted the bcd somehow., picking up old data which had not been fully...
  10. Macrium Reflect Home Rapid Delta Restore

Macrium Reflect Home Rapid Delta Restore: Well oday, my pc upated from 10563.13 to latest sub build and I was got 3 BSODS in less than an hour - the page fault in nonpaged area one - always a nightmare to sort. So I decided to restore an image I took a few days ago. I was amazed - it reverted me to 10563.0 in...