Windows 10: RAR format is not compatible with windows explorer

Discus and support RAR format is not compatible with windows explorer in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I normally use windows file explorer to open different files including compressed files. However, I came across to open a RAR file, but I cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by yZee8462, Oct 20, 2020.

1. yZee8462 Win User

RAR format is not compatible with windows explorer

So I normally use windows file explorer to open different files including compressed files. However, I came across to open a RAR file, but I cannot open it in file explorer. Does it not support it? Or do I need to enable some things? Any type of help is great.

:)

yZee8462, Oct 20, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Disable windows showing .rar files in explorer as a folder

Welcome to TenForums @coukou

The folder icons for .zip and .rar in your screenshot are not standard Windows icons. Windows has no built in support for .rar so shows a generic 'file' icon. Windows has support for .zip and shows its own icon in File Explorer. This is how it normally looks.

RAR format is not compatible with windows explorer [​IMG]

You have obviously installed a third-party app that has added its own extensions and icons to File Explorer. Which one did you install?

Edit: from your screenshot, it would seem to be WinRAR, the .zip and .rar files are listed as type 'Archive WinRAR ZIP'. It would be the file associations for WinRAR that you'd need to look for in the registry.

3. Corrupted file RAR

If the archive has been created using WinRAR, why don't you try WinRAR itself? It has a built-in repair feature for repairing corrupted archive (ZIP as well as RAR). Follow the steps given below:
    • Open WinRAR application in your system.
    • Now click on File tab > Open or simply press Ctrl+O.
    • A small window "Find Archive" will pop up. Locate the corrupt RAR archive from your system directory and select it.
    • Now click Open button.
    • Click Tools tab > Repair archive or simply press Alt+R.
    • Again a small window "Repairing File name.rar" will pop up.
    • Now click Browse to select a location to save the repaired archive.
    • Check the box "Treat the corrupt archive as RAR" and click OK.
    • WinRAR will start repairing of corrupt RAR archive. Once it gets completed click Close.
    I hope the above steps will help you repair the corrupted RAR archive.

Thanks.

Lincoln Dunne, Oct 20, 2020
  4. Rey Bel1 Win User

Burning RAR file to DVD?

Hi Harry,

With Windows, RAR files can only be opened using a third party application. You can check online for different applications that works with Windows to open RAR files.

To burn files to a DVD in Window 10, you can try these steps:

• Right-click the file and select Send to then DVD
      Drive.
    • Open File Explorer, select your DVD
      drive, and then select Finish burning.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rey Bel1, Oct 20, 2020
Thema:

1. RAR format is not compatible with windows explorer - Similar Threads - RAR format compatible

2. How to convert files to RAR format in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to convert files to RAR format in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]This post explains how to convert files to RAR format in Windows 11/10. Microsoft has recently announced that users of Windows 11 will soon get native support for RAR files and several other archive file formats to open such files. But to convert files to the RAR...
  3. Windows 11 will soon extract RAR, 7z and other archive formats natively

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 will soon extract RAR, 7z and other archive formats natively: Microsoft's Build 2023 developer conference first day has brought a number of important announcements regarding the future of Windows 11. While AI integration has been the main focus so far, Microsoft did reveal non-AI features that are coming to the Windows operating system....
  4. file explorer rar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer rar: for some reason now my files in file explorer only download in rar and open in internet explorer. i want to change it back to the default settings, because those originally worked for me....
  5. Cannot open .rar's with File Explorer?

Cannot open .rar's with File Explorer?: I tried to switch around some stuff because my .rar's opened as Windows Media Players application. I attempted to find the explorer .exe. I found it and it said this. [ATTACH]...
  6. rar files opening with Internet Explorer

rar files opening with Internet Explorer: I want My rar files to open with Internet Explorer but I accidentally got them opening with Internet Explorer. I want them to return to opening with Files Explorer....
  7. .rar problems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .rar problems: Hello I recently started modding gta v so i wanted to download a mod when i tried to open it i clicked notepad and accidently clicked open all rar files with notepad and i cant find an app that i like so i would like some help so it doesn't open with a certain app (sorry...
  8. File explorer format

File explorer format: After the recent 1903 update I had noticed that the downloads folder in file explorer had a weird format to it. It was organized by "friendly date". is there any way to revert to the original layout prior to 1903? [ATTACH]...
  9. .rar files

in Windows 10 Customization
    .rar files: When I Try To Open .rar Files Its Not Working PLESE HELP ME[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/rar-files/c25d582a-edae-4ea0-8b49-0ca1aa0e02eb
  10. Disable windows showing .rar files in explorer as a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable windows showing .rar files in explorer as a folder: TNX all for yr help. I solved the problem *Biggrin. There is no File association for Winrar If you look closely at the ".rar" files in my image above, they are not .rar files but .zip files associated with Winrar. That's why their icon is Winrar's. It was enough to...