Windows 10: Rationale for Deleting Restore Points after Windows Update

Discus and support Rationale for Deleting Restore Points after Windows Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A much older thread discussed the reasons manual RPs get deleted, one of which was that the older restore points wouldn't apply to the new Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mrhagerty, Oct 22, 2019.

1. mrhagerty Win User

Rationale for Deleting Restore Points after Windows Update

A much older thread discussed the reasons manual RPs get deleted, one of which was that the older restore points wouldn't apply to the new Windows version just updated.

The logic seems to overlook THE most important reason one would want a restore point available after an update - if that update fails or updates incompletely.

The common advice is that before any major update one should make a restore point in case something messes up. Yet Windows logic takes that option away at the most needful of times - when one is counting on getting back to a successful Windows version when something goes awry.

What I'm missing is why you can't restore a state of Windows before a version update, since it replaces the system just erroneously installed?

Is this a case that system restore doesn't backup all system files from the current version and depends on certain files of the old version to be there? It just seems incongruous that the most important need for a restore point is defeated by "the way Windows file dependencies work."

Can someone explain?

:)

mrhagerty, Oct 22, 2019
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CRationale for Deleting Restore Points after Windows Update :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CRationale for Deleting Restore Points after Windows Update :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Oct 22, 2019
  3. Windows 10 system image restore points unable to delete

Have deleted system image backups using the windows 10 suggested method. But 2 system image rstore points are still listed under other backups. Have tried all the suggested methods on the net and from the microsoft community, but the system image restore
    points remain. Even after deleting all but the last normal restore points. I guess I can just ignore them. Would appreciate any advice as nothing seems to remove them.

Aquarius 2015, Oct 22, 2019
  4. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

AndreTen - I have tried Disk Cleanup but unfortunately the problem entries did not go away.
    I feel certain Bree (VIP Member) has identified the correct cause of this problem as above and his adviced solution should also do the trick.

- - - Updated - - -

Bree - Thank you. I must admit that I did use 'Create system image' a few times in 'Backup & Restore (Windows 7)' instead of 'Backup now' and these ghost entries relate to those actions. You have rightly identified the cause of this issue.
    It is crazy that Microsoft has put two different backup options causing the issue of these ghost restore points.

Regarding your advice on how to rectify the issue - I must add that I am not very computer savvy and feel reluctant to use Diskpart utility etc to delete 'WindowsImageBackup\SPPMetadataCache' and 'WindowsImageBackup\Catalog folders' from within 'System Volume Information' folder with command Prompt as I fear damaging the pc by making any mistakes, as I have never done this before.

Please advice if there may be another simpler method to delete the above folders OR if you are able and have time to post a step by step instructions (with pictures if possible) on how to follow your advice. Much appreciated.

jellyroll, Oct 22, 2019
Thema:

1. Rationale for Deleting Restore Points after Windows Update - Similar Threads - Rationale Deleting Restore

2. Deleting Restore Points

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting Restore Points: IHiIs it ok to delete the restored points and create new ones?THANK YOUTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-restore-points/7d31b102-5043-403b-8d4a-ccb70760cc65
  3. Deleting Restore Points

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Deleting Restore Points: IHiIs it ok to delete the restored points and create new ones?THANK YOUTIMMY 2 TOES https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-restore-points/7d31b102-5043-403b-8d4a-ccb70760cc65
  4. Deleting Restore Points

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. RESTORE Points deleted during apparent RESTORE of latest windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RESTORE Points deleted during apparent RESTORE of latest windows update: While trying to back out of issues CAUSED by the latest windows update, I had selected a MANUAL Configuration Restore point from 2 weeks ago. the RESTORE operation ""APPARENTLY" ran successfully to completion per "Windows" but it Removed all Prior manual restore points while...
  6. RESTORE Points deleted during apparent RESTORE of latest windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RESTORE Points deleted during apparent RESTORE of latest windows update: While trying to back out of issues CAUSED by the latest windows update, I had selected a MANUAL Configuration Restore point from 2 weeks ago. the RESTORE operation ""APPARENTLY" ran successfully to completion per "Windows" but it Removed all Prior manual restore points while...
  7. RESTORE Points deleted during apparent RESTORE of latest windows update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Restore Points deleted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore Points deleted: I like having restore points to deal with the periodic Microsoft Windows 10 glitches. I understand that for whatever unfathomable reason Microsoft has decided that we can't keep restore points for more than 90 days. I thought that the obvious workaround was to just to...
  9. Rationale for Deleting Restore Points after Windows Update

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Rationale for Deleting Restore Points after Windows Update: A much older thread discussed the reasons manual RPs get deleted, one of which was that the older restore points wouldn't apply to the new Windows version just updated. The logic seems to overlook THE most important reason one would want a restore point available after an...
  10. MS illegally deleted all restore points after update

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    MS illegally deleted all restore points after update: I never gave Microsoft permission to delete my restore points yet after an update MS took it on themselves to delete all my restore points. They claim they do this because the old restore points are not comparable with the new version but I rolled back the OS version to 1709...