Windows 10: raw partition not formatting

Discus and support raw partition not formatting in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; i had an ransomeware attack it locked all my files . so i decided to install new window . when i tried to format or delete my hdd partition 2 the bsod... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RAJATYADAV2, May 24, 2021.

1. raw partition not formatting

i had an ransomeware attack it locked all my files . so i decided to install new window . when i tried to format or delete my hdd partition 2 the bsod appear and my partition became raw . the bsod showed kmode exception not handled plssssssss help as soonn as possible

:)

RAJATYADAV2, May 24, 2021
  2. shubham21 Win User

Please help cant format Pendrive RAW partition

I was using windows media creation tool, then while at 70% it got stuck and corrupted my pendrive.
    So far I have tried the following:-
    1. Diskpart (Both GUI and CMD)
    2. chkdsk (doesnt work for RAW)
    3. something like low level formatting
    4. Bunch of free software like Aiomi, partition wizard etc
    5. Same steps on Safe Mode too

raw partition not formatting [​IMG]

Please help
    Windows version is 1909

shubham21, May 24, 2021
  3. TrTmaster Win User
    Raw Partitions

Hi Everyone!

A few days ago, I accidentally told the Ubuntu Installer to wipe my Windows 10 partition. I quit the installer, but my partition is now RAW.

What is a RAW Partition?

In Windows, partitions with an unknown filesystem (like my Ubuntu partition) are marked as RAW. In this case, Windows was unable to recognize the filesystem type. Lets say your Windows partition filesystem gets corrupted badly. Windows would mark
    it as RAW. So, in short, a RAW partition is
    not a filesystem, but an error of the partition.

What happens if you have a RAW partition?

It depends. If your primary partition is RAW, Windows will not boot. Period. If an external storage device or other partition is RAW, Windows will ask you to format it. You will not be able to get any data off of this partition.

Is this error fixable?

It seems like it also depends. If your partition's filesystem got really messed up, then no. This will happen:

> The type of this file system is RAW.

> CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.

However, I have seen reports of people fixing a RAW partition. This is what happened:

> The type of this file system is NTFS

> The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt.

A little suprising, but this is good. It means that your partition is fixable. The first sector is what caused the RAW error.
    p.s. I used chkdsk to get these errors

How do you fix this error.

First off, you will probably need a Windows Installer device.

If you can get to a command line, skip this part.

Boot from the installer.

Set your keyboard, mouse, etc. Click next.

Click Repair your Computer (bottom-left corner)

Click Advanced Options (or similar)

Now, first, try and use Startup Repair. If Startup Repair works, great! If Startup Repair fails, keep reading.

Open a command line.

Run the following commands in order:

> diskpart

> list volume

This will show you the RAW partition, and what letter it is.

> exit

> chkdsk /r /f D:

Replace D: with the letter from Diskpart.

You should get some errors at the beginning (first sector corrupt). Don't worry, it is actually fixing the second sector!

If that doesn't work, then you are in trouble, and should just reinstall Windows. Sorry

I hope this tutorial was useful. And also, please leave comments if you have another method that worked for you. Thank you!

TrTmaster, May 24, 2021
  4. Fernandz Win User

raw partition not formatting

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, May 24, 2021
Thema:

raw partition not formatting

1. raw partition not formatting - Similar Threads - raw partition formatting

2. Disk Format Changed to RAW

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Format Changed to RAW: I have a 1 tb hard drive which had windows installed on it and had over 500gb of personal data in its user files but it became corrupted when I plugged it into another laptop and since then it wont boot in its original laptop. I have it currently in my other laptop where it...
  3. Disk Format Changed to RAW

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Format Changed to RAW: I have a 1 tb hard drive which had windows installed on it and had over 500gb of personal data in its user files but it became corrupted when I plugged it into another laptop and since then it wont boot in its original laptop. I have it currently in my other laptop where it...
  4. Disk Format Changed to RAW

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. raw and ntfs partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    raw and ntfs partition: Had a disk partition that turned raw. Already read all the posts on converting raw partitions to ntfs partitions without formatting disk.Convert d: /fs:ntfs doesn't work returning message "d: is already ntfs". If I open disk management the partition d: is marked as raw, btw....
  6. Lost Partitions and RAW files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lost Partitions and RAW files: Essentially, I accidentally deleted a bunch of random things from my computer, and had to get recovery software to get it back. The software organized the files into a Partitions folder and a RAW folder. When I attempted to open some of the recovered files word and MP4 they...
  7. Please help cant format Pendrive RAW partition

Please help cant format Pendrive RAW partition: I was using windows media creation tool, then while at 70% it got stuck and corrupted my pendrive. So far I have tried the following:- 1. Diskpart (Both GUI and CMD) 2. chkdsk (doesnt work for RAW) 3. something like low level formatting 4. Bunch of free software like Aiomi,...
  8. Formatting a partition

Formatting a partition: Before doing this I want to be 100% certain I am not formatting the entire C: drive. In Disk Management if I format a partition that had the recovery files will the rest of the hard drive be left alone? 128708
  9. Raw Partitions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Raw Partitions: Hi Everyone! A few days ago, I accidentally told the Ubuntu Installer to wipe my Windows 10 partition. I quit the installer, but my partition is now RAW. What is a RAW Partition? In Windows, partitions with an unknown filesystem (like my Ubuntu partition) are marked as...
  10. Raw formatted my external

Raw formatted my external: Ok so I recently accidently made my external USB drive into a raw, I was wondering if I could some how get it back, I think it still has the files on it, I got it so windows finally recognizes it but all it wants to do is format it. I want to keep all the files still on it...