Windows 10: RB_1.3.77.44.exe - can't even scan it w/o changing owner!!

Discus and support RB_1.3.77.44.exe - can't even scan it w/o changing owner!! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.1) The actual questions here are in this blue color. 1. I have a suspicious .exe on my Dell... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by sbpetrack, Feb 27, 2020.

1. sbpetrack Win User

RB_1.3.77.44.exe - can't even scan it w/o changing owner!!

I am running Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.1)

The actual questions here are in this blue color.

1. I have a suspicious .exe on my Dell 7577 laptop. My machine seems very sluggish, and it has happened twice that taskmanager reported this .exe as taking 20% of the CPU. Further the file is buried deep inside SysWOW64, inside a folder even the owner of which is hidden from me. The file is named RB_1.3.77.44.exe and it's full pathname is

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Microsoft\Protect\S-1-22-20\RB_1.3.77.44.exe

I'll add that on this machine, the owner of the "Protect" folder is "Administrators" (Machine-Name\Administrators), and it contains nothing but the single folder "Protect". The folder "Protect" contains nothing but the folder S-1-22-20, and he securitry info for the S-1-22-20 folder shows "unable to display owner information". Nothing happens when I double-click on that S-1-22-20 folder. The only reason I know that the RB_1.3... file is there at all is that it showed up in task manager; and then the wonderful beautiful "Search Everything" utility showed me where it is. But I can't copy and paste it anywhere, or upload it to an online virus checker -- unless I take ownership of the object and change its permissions.

[OH now that I write this, I guess I could just boot linux and copy the file somewhere, and then scan the file. As usual, Linux shows its value as the pooper-scooper of choice for Windows] A search online gave me no useful info about this .exe file. Can anyone here tell me what RB_1.3.77.44.exe is? Or if it's normal to have the Protect folder there?

I know how to change the owner of the file so that I can delete it. But perhaps it's legit and needs to have the ownership it does. And even if it's malicious, I"d like to be able to report it as it actually is/was in my system, rather than with a different owner. At the very least, i'd like to be able to record the identity of the current owner, even if to do that causes me to change the owner. Can I do something to find out who the current owner is (since it "can't be displayed")?

If there is a correct or best-practise way to check out this file which doesn't require a reboot or a different OS, I'd be grateful to learn what it is.

THanks!
    scott

P.S. if it would be better to post separate queries for the separate quesitons (1. is RB_1.3.77.44.exe dangrous? 2. how to virus-check a file that one can't see without changing it? 3. How to find the identity of the owner of a file whose identitiy "can't be displayed"? please let me know and I''ll do that.

:)

sbpetrack, Feb 27, 2020
  2. aron2003 Win User

phone changing numbers +44

Hi,

my kids nokia lumia 435 keeps changing the 0 number to +44 when the number is not in their contacts list and they are having to manually change it, this is resulting in a 15p charge every time RB_1.3.77.44.exe - can't even scan it w/o changing owner!! :( when contacting the mobile operator they said to try a factory
    reset but this hasn't worked.

aron2003, Feb 27, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Brink, Feb 27, 2020
  4. RB_1.3.77.44.exe - can't even scan it w/o changing owner!!

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Feb 27, 2020
Thema:

RB_1.3.77.44.exe - can't even scan it w/o changing owner!!

1. RB_1.3.77.44.exe - can't even scan it w/o changing owner!! - Similar Threads - RB_1 exe can't

2. Update to Windows 11 w/o changing computers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update to Windows 11 w/o changing computers: I understand the reason for the faster processor needed for Windows 11 is primarily for gaming but is there any way to still download without the games and just the other items?...
  3. Update to Windows 11 w/o changing computers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update to Windows 11 w/o changing computers: I understand the reason for the faster processor needed for Windows 11 is primarily for gaming but is there any way to still download without the games and just the other items?...
  4. S-L-O-W System Faltering Fast :O(

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    S-L-O-W System Faltering Fast :O(: Trying to debug my workstation issues at work and really needing some help. Really s-l-o-w working with Autodesk inventor 2020 working with files on our server but some localized issues, too, that I'm thinking may be affecting that. With Inventor files that used to take a...
  5. open w/o windows tiles

in Windows 10 Support
    open w/o windows tiles: HP laptop had the classic w7 icons but switched to tiles. I forgot how to get the classic back. I know its simple but I forgot how I did it. Help! 162382
  6. How to dave default Wordpad w/o Registry changes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to dave default Wordpad w/o Registry changes: I've run a search and looked at 7 pages but not found an answer. I'd like to save the default settings for Wordpad w/o having to make a Registry edit. I found a possible solution but it doesn't make sense to me. Says to save as a Temp file, then whenever you open Wordpad it...
  7. Change of owner

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change of owner: I have obtained a second-hand PC that runs windows 10. This has the original owner set-up as admin and a second person as 'user account' how do I delete these two accounts and install myself as 'admin' ( I will be the sole user) without altering other programs and settings?...
  8. change owners

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    change owners: how do i change administrators and make this HP laptop running windows 10 that was givin to me mine ? my account etc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-owners/21f8316d-80f4-482d-a744-709c18837e35"
  9. Taskbar Font Color Change w/o changing themes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Font Color Change w/o changing themes: Hello to the community, I've been trying to setup a theme that resemble as much as possible the Windows Server 2012 default appearance. Through some tweaking on the default Aero theme to make it look like AeroLite, like the minimize/maximize/close buttons with black...
  10. Possible to wake PC w/o Magic Packet...w/o unwanted wakes?

in Windows 10 Support
    Possible to wake PC w/o Magic Packet...w/o unwanted wakes?: Setting up a Win 10 PC for shares, videos, which will be used lightly. I would like to have it sleep, and not have to do a separate operation to wake it with a magic packet before accessing. Is this possible? Any suggestions appreciated. 37517