Windows 10: RDP from Windows to Linux - no Windows software needed

Discus and support RDP from Windows to Linux - no Windows software needed in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there I know people on these boards often run things like Linux / NAS Linux boxes. RDP from Windows is a very convenient way of accessing it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Feb 1, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

RDP from Windows to Linux - no Windows software needed

Hi there

I know people on these boards often run things like Linux / NAS Linux boxes.

RDP from Windows is a very convenient way of accessing it -- here's how to access a typical LINUX box from Windows just using Windows RDP --- works fine although depending on your graphics card capability set in the options of RDP Max resolution as 24 bit colour -- usually more than sufficient -- for command line etc 16 bit is probably good enough and faster.

1) on the Linux box use your package manager to install XRDP. (Your Linux box will need to run some sort of GUI though).
    2) start the service - on Centos / Fedora it's the following 4 commands : (as root) once -- on following boots service will start automatically

systemctl enable xrdp.service
    start xrdp.service
    systemctl enable xrdp-sesman.service
    start xrdp-sesman.service

Ensure port 3389 is allowed through any firewalls

Now from Windows simply logon

RDP from Windows to Linux - no Windows software needed [​IMG]

RDP from Windows to Linux - no Windows software needed [​IMG]

Note this is FROM Windows TO Linux

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 1, 2017

2. Unable to connect to windows 10 remote desktop

Unable to connect to RDP after windows 10 upgrade, all worked fine with windows 7 before upgrade.

Able to connect to windows 10 pc using a pc running Linux. Using Linux Remmina RDP program but not with another win 10 pc or my Surface running RT 8.1, both keep saying credentials are not correct when trying to connect.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Kevin_mps256, Feb 1, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Pro no longer connects to Samba Share on Linux Workstation

Samba 4.2.14-Debian

I have not done much in the way of trouble shooting as I am not sure where to start since it was working fine before the update.

After the update I also could not RDP into the Linux workstation but I changed several security related settings in the registry and I can now RDP into the Linux Workstation. After the update Windows 10 reported that the Administrator (which is me) had
    restricted the account used to access the Linux Workstation but I had done nothing.

dCipherComputing, Feb 1, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

Kari, Feb 1, 2017
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks

Works BOTH ways - although I usually run the Linux stuff headless

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 1, 2017
  6. D4ni3l Win User
    this is what i was looking for some years ago *Huh
    thank you

D4ni3l, Feb 1, 2017
  7. pparks1 Win User
    I simply used putty with ssh. Then again, I don't have GUI's on my Linux boxes normally.

pparks1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. RDP from Windows to Linux - no Windows software needed - Similar Threads - RDP Linux software

2. remove partitions that not needed from old linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    remove partitions that not needed from old linux: i have ASUS tuf a15 and i used to have multiple Linux OS from different distros kali,Ubuntu,manjaro, etc. as dual boot now i want to remove the extra partitions to save space and i don't know which one to removethe unallocated is for new Linux i will install after solving...
  3. remove partitions that not needed from old linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    remove partitions that not needed from old linux: i have ASUS tuf a15 and i used to have multiple Linux OS from different distros kali,Ubuntu,manjaro, etc. as dual boot now i want to remove the extra partitions to save space and i don't know which one to removethe unallocated is for new Linux i will install after solving...
  4. i need help going back to windows 10 from linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    i need help going back to windows 10 from linux: I tried downloading the windows 10 iso from here with usb with exfat, but when i try installing it it says "No device drivers were found". Any way to fix that? I dont have any other devices with Windows but i have a product key....
  5. i need help going back to windows 10 from linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i need help going back to windows 10 from linux: I tried downloading the windows 10 iso from here with usb with exfat, but when i try installing it it says "No device drivers were found". Any way to fix that? I dont have any other devices with Windows but i have a product key....
  6. From Linux To Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    From Linux To Windows: Im trying to change a linux operating using a 64-bit machine. using a 32-bit architecturesystem . To Windows 10 operating system.I went to download the Media Creation Tool but { pasted from page site}You’ve been routed to this page because the operating system you’re using...
  7. RDP to Windows from Linux, strange disconnects after latest feature update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    RDP to Windows from Linux, strange disconnects after latest feature update: My Windows 10 work PC recently updated itself and ever since I've been having trouble using Remote Desktop. The behavior is inconsistent and weird: If I am already logged in on the host PC, I can connect remotely and everything works the way it normally did, if I specify...
  8. Cannot RDP / VNC view FROM Windows to Linux desktop

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Cannot RDP / VNC view FROM Windows to Linux desktop: Hi folks Just messing about before "Boxing Day" dinner -- at least not cooking it today !!!! just eating / drinking /pub later for UK Footie. No probs whatsoever with connecting to Windows desktops (whether via VM or real) FROM a LINUX machine Cannot get Windows to show...
  9. Switching from Windows to Linux

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Switching from Windows to Linux: Hello I am Nikhil Bansal and I am a college student. I am using original windows 10 but as per my college course curriculum I have to work on Linux. I can switch to linux but then I will lost my original windows. Right? So what should I do as I am a student and also wants...
  10. RDP to Linux servers from Windows no Windows estra software needed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP to Linux servers from Windows no Windows estra software needed: Hi folks I know a load of you have things line NAS servers etc on Linux boxes -- and running them headless is the usual way. It's simple though to control them from your Windows computers --works fine in W10 too. 1) On the Linux side install XRDP (usually comes in...