Windows 10: RDP - how can I reboot remote machine

Discus and support RDP - how can I reboot remote machine in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there It's been AGES since I've done this - but is there any way of rebooting a remote Windows machine from RDP. The problem probably needs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Feb 15, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

RDP - how can I reboot remote machine

Hi there

It's been AGES since I've done this - but is there any way of rebooting a remote Windows machine from RDP.

The problem probably needs Windows login as it boots so how to connect ??

I'm sure it's possible without having things like Network boot in a Nic.

(I've seen people run Windows servers essentially headless so it must be possible).

Easy enough in Linux - there's all sorts of daemons / processes that can start at boot so ssh and all sorts of other things possible but I'm a total stranger to most of Windows networking apart from basic home LANS.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 15, 2017
  2. Monkey57 Win User

am I being scammed?

how does "Turn off Remote Access to your machine" have anything to do with someone that has allowed suspicious remote access ... This is not RDP...

Monkey57, Feb 15, 2017
  3. Windows10 Home

It's actually the opposite: You can launch an RDP session from a Windows 10 Home machine but only a Windows 10 Professional machine can act as an RDP host.

Frederik Long, Feb 15, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

I restart my Windows remote hosts in this simple way:

RDP - how can I reboot remote machine [​IMG]

Command: shutdown /r /t 0 -- OR -- shutdown -r -t 0

You can then reconnect to remote host as soon as it has booted to Welcome / sign-in screen (network will be reconnected latest at this point).

5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @Kari

Thanks !!!

It's so easy to forget this type of stuff if you don't do it regularly

Works fine -- I was thinking that I wouldn't get Logon screen and network connection - but it's working now.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 15, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    You are welcome Jimbo *Smile

7. Barman58 Win User
    I have moved from RDP to using Teamviewer for working with headless systems, just for the convenience, I have a group of systems at home and can switch to any or all at will. you just need to use the setup options for unattended access and make sure that Teamviewer is set to run at boot

Barman58, Feb 15, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

I openly admit being a Microsoft and especially Windows 10 fan boy. I have no shame, no issues in admitting that, no reason to deny facts *Wink

What it means to me in practical terms is that I never use third party solutions when native Windows apps, tools or features can do the same, even if using native Windows tools would require me to use a few more mouse clicks or an extra command or two. The only advantage I can think of in using TeamViewer is that when disconnecting a remote session it leaves local user signed in whereas RDP by default leaves remote host locked, showing the Welcome / sign-in screen. There might of course be other features in TeamViewer I do not know but as far as I know and what my needs are, I can do anything I need to / want to with RDP.

Even that single advantage I can think of (as told above) is easy to fix in RDP. Here's a post of mine from another thread a year ago to show the fix:

This will end the remote session and unlock the remote host, restoring the current local user's desktop.[/quote]
    Instead of disconnecting the remote connection as usual, run the tscon command on remote host. If you want to make it simpler you can create a shortcut for the tscon command on remote host desktop.

9. AndreyT Win User
    You simply RDP into the remote machine and issue a Reboot command the same way you'd do it on a physical machine. Nothing special about it.

Older versions of Windows used to prevent direct access to Reboot and Shutdown commands from the GUI when logged in through RDP (so we had to work around it by manually issuing a command-line 'shutdown' command). However, this restriction is gone from Windows 10 - just open the menu, click the power icon and you will see the Reboot command right there. I don't know what is the reason behind this change (and I'd say that the former approach - no Reboot and Shutdown in GUI - made more sense).

Of course, if you are talking about a LAN machine and you have the required credentials you can reboot it without RDP: just use the '/m \\computer' option of 'shutdown' command.

AndreyT, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. RDP - how can I reboot remote machine - Similar Threads - RDP reboot remote

2. Can We connect the USB to the RDP session remote desktop connection machine?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can We connect the USB to the RDP session remote desktop connection machine?: PC1 is connected with a USB biometric device. I will need to take RDPusing the remote desktop connection windows application to PC2. I will launch an application on the pc2, which need biometric to login which is on PC1. Can we send the biometric signature or get the...
  3. Can We connect the USB to the RDP session remote desktop connection machine?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can We connect the USB to the RDP session remote desktop connection machine?: PC1 is connected with a USB biometric device. I will need to take RDPusing the remote desktop connection windows application to PC2. I will launch an application on the pc2, which need biometric to login which is on PC1. Can we send the biometric signature or get the...
  4. Can We connect the USB to the RDP session remote desktop connection machine?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. RDP copy and paste issue on Remote Window machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP copy and paste issue on Remote Window machine: I am having problem in copy and paste text and image from local machine to RDP server window 19 standard edition.Only one user is having problem , other user can copy and paste easily from local machine to Remote RDP server 19,standard.Any help is highly appreciated....
  6. RDP copy and paste issue on Remote Window machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RDP copy and paste issue on Remote Window machine: I am having problem in copy and paste text and image from local machine to RDP server window 19 standard edition.Only one user is having problem , other user can copy and paste easily from local machine to Remote RDP server 19,standard.Any help is highly appreciated....
  7. Can't RDP into remote machine due to Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't RDP into remote machine due to Microsoft Account: So I'm trying to remote into my cousin's Windows 10 PC via RDP. I told him this could be difficult because he has both a local account and a Microsoft Account. His account is the admin account on the computer. I have tried logging in at least 5 ways and they all fail. His...
  8. RDP Display resolution on remote machine

in Windows 10 Customization
    RDP Display resolution on remote machine: I am running an up-to-date Windows 10 install on a high res dual 3820x 2160 monitor setup. When I log into [RDP] my clients Windows Server 2012v2 machine the icons on the desktop are HUGE. The program menus look sort of OK (I can work with them) but icons internal to the...
  9. How To: Enable Remote Desktop Services RDP remotely

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How To: Enable Remote Desktop Services RDP remotely: To enable Remote Desktop Services (RDP) you might need to either use Group Policies or by physical access on the computer or server. Remotely you would need to use command line with PSTools which can be downloaded here. Once downloaded and extracted type in the below...
  10. RDP: 10 Local Machine - XP Remote Machine Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    RDP: 10 Local Machine - XP Remote Machine Problem: I can copy and paste only text and screenshots. 78047