Windows 10: RDP into Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop VM on HyperV with xRPD from other device

Discus and support RDP into Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop VM on HyperV with xRPD from other device in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi guys, I've set up an Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop VM on Hyper-V using the quick-create option and have no problem accessing the VM via Hyper-V. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by TheLangleySaxon, Nov 25, 2019.

1. RDP into Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop VM on HyperV with xRPD from other device

Hi guys,

I've set up an Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop VM on Hyper-V using the quick-create option and have no problem accessing the VM via Hyper-V. When I connect, it goes through xrdp and all is well. The issue is when I try to connect to the VM from another device on the same network. I receive an error suggesting the VM is off, not connected to the same network, or remote access to the server is not enabled.

Currently, I have to RDP into the Windows 10 Pro Host, open Hyper-V, and connect that way. For many reasons I would prefer not to do this. I looked for other posts on this for hours to see if I could resolve this to no avail. Does anyone know what I can do?

Edit: I am able to ping/SSH into the VM from other devices on the network.

Thank you!
    Jack

:)

TheLangleySaxon, Nov 25, 2019
  2. GiantPete Win User

How can I take my SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 256GB thumb drive offline (to allow HyperV VM access)?

My flash drive is entirely formatted with encrypted LUKS (done on a real Ubuntu 16.04 desktop).

I want to mount it in my Ubuntu 16.04 VM running in HyperV on my new Windows 10 Pro laptop (i9, 32GB ram...).

SO I need a way to take this USB drive offline (apparently not an option for this driver type - WHY?)

OR if possible can I Force it to be a 'USB Mass Storage Device'? It is 256GB afterall…

All I get in windows are offers to re-format it.

I have enabled Enhanced Session Mode for my ubuntu VM but this is no good if the disk is not mounted by Windows (due to file system not being recognised).

GiantPete, Nov 25, 2019
  3. My VMs updated to 1903, not RDP is no longer working with protocol error

With my VMs updated to 1903 I am now unable to remote desktop into them.

I sometimes get a blue screen, mostly nothing, sometimes a 'please wait message'

Always end with a 'Because of a protocol error, this session will be disconnected'

This happens when trying to RDP from a PC or mobile. Tried all sorts of old suggestions found on the net to resolve but nothing works. This is extremely annoying and severely impacts my ability to work.

Any suggestions welcome..

Paul van der Heu, Nov 25, 2019
  4. bpgt64 Win User

RDP into Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop VM on HyperV with xRPD from other device

Window's Server Backup, crashing HyperV vms

Hello,

We're backing up a couple of HyperV VM's to external disk, and periodically(about 50% of the time), the VM being backed up will crash during the snapshot process, backup of that component will fail. We're getting;

The disk signature of disk 2 is equal to the disk signature of disk 0
    The disk signature of disk 3 is equal to the disk signature of disk 1

warnings in the logs

bpgt64, Nov 25, 2019
Thema:

RDP into Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop VM on HyperV with xRPD from other device

1. RDP into Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop VM on HyperV with xRPD from other device - Similar Threads - RDP Ubuntu Desktop

2. no sound in ubuntu VM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no sound in ubuntu VM: There's no sound in Ubuntu while on windows 11 virtual machine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-sound-in-ubuntu-vm/a0d6c7c5-c83b-40db-8f9a-636d41b3b11b
  3. no sound in ubuntu VM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    no sound in ubuntu VM: There's no sound in Ubuntu while on windows 11 virtual machine https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-sound-in-ubuntu-vm/a0d6c7c5-c83b-40db-8f9a-636d41b3b11b
  4. how do i copy a file from host to hyperv vm

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    how do i copy a file from host to hyperv vm: Where am I going wrong. I am on windows10 pro; have enabled guest services and tried this command top copy to the hyperv vm: Copy-VMFile "raspi" -SourcePath "D:\temp.txt" -DestinationPath "/home/pi" -CreateFullPath -FileSource host Copy-VMFile : Failed to initiate copying...
  5. Cannot open a default share C$ from a HyperV VM to host machine

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open a default share C$ from a HyperV VM to host machine: Hi, I am unable open a default share C$ from a HyperV VM to host machine. I have a Windows 10 Host machine PC-A running HyperV and a VM running Windows 10 on top of it PC-B. PC-A configuration: Windows Firewall enabled by default. Enabled File and Print Sharing via...
  6. Cannot open a default share C$ from a HyperV VM to host machine.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open a default share C$ from a HyperV VM to host machine.: Hi, I am unable open a default share C$ from a HyperV VM to host machine. I have a Windows 10 Host machine PC-A running HyperV and a VM running Windows Server 2019 on top of it PC-B. PC-A configuration: Windows Firewall enabled by default. Enabled File and Print Sharing...
  7. issue with connecting to a newly created hyperv VM

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    issue with connecting to a newly created hyperv VM: submitted by /u/tyanu_khah [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/flbbf4/issue_with_connecting_to_a_newly_created_hyperv_vm/
  8. Ubuntu Core 18 released for secure, reliable IoT devices

in Windows 10 News
    Ubuntu Core 18 released for secure, reliable IoT devices: Canonical today published Ubuntu Core 18, bringing the popular Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to high-security embedded devices. “Dell has been working closely with Canonical over the past three years to certify Ubuntu Core on all our Edge Gateway platforms. Ubuntu Core enables our...
  9. Dual boot with windows 10 and ubuntu 18

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual boot with windows 10 and ubuntu 18: Hi there I tried to install Ubuntu alongside Windows 10 on a Dell XPS laptop. Originally it had Win10. After partitioning and installing Ubuntu, Windows now no longer booting. "no accessible boot device" I tried to change many settings in BIOS: SATA: AHCI UEFI...
  10. INSTALL UBUNTU 18.O4

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    INSTALL UBUNTU 18.O4: WHAT DO I HAVE TO KNOW TO INSTALL UBUNTU 18.04 WITH WINDOWS 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/install-ubuntu-18o4/e2757bc7-3571-4e3f-b49b-53eb48fb9e7c