Windows 10: RDP - Mulitple Monitors using different resolutions

Discus and support RDP - Mulitple Monitors using different resolutions in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I am trying to RDP into my work PC from home. I recently got a laptop and bought a 32" monitor to hook up to it to use as my main monitor. At... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by slottem, Jun 30, 2019.

1. slottem Win User

RDP - Mulitple Monitors using different resolutions

Hi,

I am trying to RDP into my work PC from home. I recently got a laptop and bought a 32" monitor to hook up to it to use as my main monitor. At work, I have dual screens that are both 24". I figured I could mimic that with a 32" at home. I've asked my IT Help Desk about this and they said it was a resolution issue, but anyway here it goes...

Whenever I try to RDP, I can see the log in screens and the cursor, but it will not allow me to click using the cursor. The keyboard works as in I can tab and enter to get through the login options but I cannot use the cursor.

My laptop has resolution of 3840 by 2160. The 32" resolution is 2560 by 1440. But at work the resolutions are 1920 by 1080. All are using Windows 10.

IT said to change my resolution to match work. If I change my home resolutions, everything seems to work ok except I can no longer use my 32" for my dual purposes as one window will take up the whole screen (but not really the whole screen I guess just the 1920 by 1080 area - the rest is not useable) . Defeats the purpose of having the 32" monitor.

Is there a way I can work around this?

Thanks for the help!

:)

slottem, Jun 30, 2019

2. Display Resolution for two monitor have different settings

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The display resolution depends on the monitors that you have plugged into your computer. The display resolution modes will vary with each display based on the video card device, monitor size, video driver, and monitor driver.
    By default, Windows chooses the best display settings for your PC based on your monitor, so it is recommended to set the screen resolution of the display to the (Recommended) native resolution to get the best display on your monitor.

To have better clarity on the issue, let us know the model numbers of your monitors, so that we can provide you the exact display resolution which is recommended to your monitors.

Meanwhile, try the below methods and see if this helps.

Changing the Display Resolution from Settings.

Step 1: Right Click on an empty space on the desktop and click on
    Display Settings.

Step 2: In the
    Display Settings window, scroll down and click on 'Advanced display settings' option under
    Multiple displays.

Step 3: Then, click on
    Display adapter properties for Display 1, Display 2, or
    Display 3; whichever monitor you want to change the resolution for.

Step 4: Once the Display properties pops-up, click on 'List All Modes' option.

Step 5: Select a display mode that you want for the selected display and click on
    OK.

Step 6: Then, click on
    Apply and OK for the changes to take effect.

If these steps don't work, try reinstalling the driver by opening
    Device Manager, right-click on the monitor drivers, and select
    Uninstall. Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the drivers.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jun 30, 2019
  3. Second monitor screen resolution problem

Hi,

For us to properly isolate the issue with your second monitor screen resolution, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?

• When did the issue first begin?

• To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you try resetting your monitor settings, and check if the issue still persists. You may refer to your monitor on how to reset it.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jun 30, 2019
  4. FFC10831 Win User

Using RDP on two monitors... resizes when moved to one monitor

Thanks for the response, my resolutions setting and drivers are good. Displays were working correctly until I hit a couple of keys that made it change (I probably hit the ctrl or fn key and a letter).

The issue is that when I move my RDP window from my two monitors to one monitor, it resizes the RDP display to show two RDP monitors on my one local monitor. What is should do is simply slide over and not resize.

Please advise.

FFC10831, Jun 30, 2019
Thema:

1. RDP - Mulitple Monitors using different resolutions - Similar Threads - RDP Mulitple Monitors

2. RDP windows resolution can't auto-adjust monitor screen resolution.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP windows resolution can't auto-adjust monitor screen resolution.: Hi,I'm using RDP to connect to my own Hyper-V Virtual Machine. and I have 2nd monitor which is bigger 27inch, don't know how to look the resolution. Issue is when I connect to my RDP, the windows display resolution cannot auto adjust according to the monitor size. I was...
  3. RDP windows resolution can't auto-adjust monitor screen resolution.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RDP windows resolution can't auto-adjust monitor screen resolution.: Hi,I'm using RDP to connect to my own Hyper-V Virtual Machine. and I have 2nd monitor which is bigger 27inch, don't know how to look the resolution. Issue is when I connect to my RDP, the windows display resolution cannot auto adjust according to the monitor size. I was...
  4. 2 Identical Monitors Displaying Different Resolutions

2 Identical Monitors Displaying Different Resolutions: I have connected 2UHD monitors using USB-C port docking station.My second connected display/monitor is coming with less resolutions in this case, 2nd monitor is displaying with HD1080p even though monitor is supported with UHD1440p....
  5. 2 Identical Monitors Displaying Different Resolutions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 Identical Monitors Displaying Different Resolutions: I have connected 2UHD monitors using USB-C port docking station.My second connected display/monitor is coming with less resolutions in this case, 2nd monitor is displaying with HD1080p even though monitor is supported with UHD1440p....
  6. 2 identical monitors displaying different resolutions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 identical monitors displaying different resolutions: I have 2 insignia monitors, both the same model that are displaying different resolutions 1360x768 and 1366x768this question has been asked previously but the thread is now closed and none of the solutions can solve my problem. Any help? Thanks.Old Thread:...
  7. Dual Monitors with different resolutions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual Monitors with different resolutions: I have my laptop connected to two monitors side by side. However, on the secondary monitor the image, taskbar, apps, etc... is stretched horizontally. I have tried changing the resolution of the screen in settings but none of the options seem to work. Only when I unplug the...
  8. Dual Monitors with different resolutions

Dual Monitors with different resolutions: I have my laptop connected to two monitors side by side. However, on the secondary monitor the image, taskbar, apps, etc... is stretched horizontally. I have tried changing the resolution of the screen in settings but none of the options seem to work. Only when I unplug the...
  9. Windows10: folder in mulitple different locations?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows10: folder in mulitple different locations?: I am an architect. I keep drawings for each project in a Drawing folder under a project name. I keep Administrative documents in another folder under the appropriate project name. Sometimes I would like to have access to administrative docs but located in the Drawing folder....
  10. Use an extended background for 3 monitors with different resolutions.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Use an extended background for 3 monitors with different resolutions.: I wonder if there is a possibility to use an extended image for 3 monitors? Here in my case they are: 2 x Dell UltraSharp 24 "U2419H 1 x LG 32 "4K UK 550. I use the two Dell below with maximum resolution of 1920x1080 and the LG on top of it with 3840x2160 resolution. As a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 multiple displays with different resolution

2. rpd multiple screen different resolution

3. opening rdp windows 10 multiple monitors different resolutions