Windows 10: RDP to Desktop using Microsoft Account

Discus and support RDP to Desktop using Microsoft Account in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am having trouble using RDP to connect to a desktop that I have just configured using my Microsoft account. I have tried the steps in the below... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cory Yundt1, Sep 30, 2022.

1. RDP to Desktop using Microsoft Account

I am having trouble using RDP to connect to a desktop that I have just configured using my Microsoft account. I have tried the steps in the below running the link runas /u:MicrosoftAccount\*** Email address is removed for privacy *** winver but am not able to enter the account password and press enter to open the About Windows dialogue box.https://cmdrkeene.com/remote-desktop-with-microsoft-account-sign-in/Can anyone provide any advice?

:)

Cory Yundt1, Sep 30, 2022

2. Microsoft Account and Authentication during RDP

Hello, trying to RDP to my windows 10 (fall creators update) via RDP but the RDP client always fails with invalid credential.

I have tried the combinations:

• Microsoft account primary alias and Microsoft account password
    • Local username associated with my Microsoft account and Microsoft account password
    Neither is accepted for sign in. I have Mobile sign in enabled on my account so I technically never entered my password here.

Lambros Vasiliou, Sep 30, 2022
  3. RDP connection fails from Microsoft account to Local Admin account

Issue:

• Windows 10 Pro desktop cannot connect to another Windows 10 Pro desktop on the same wired network.
    Details:

• When connection is attempted, an error states the credentials are invalid.
    • The credentials entered are the local admin account on the target computer.
      • Computer attempting the connection is logged into the Microsoft account.
    • When both computers were running Windows 7 Pro - there were no RDP issues.
    Troubleshooting:

• Confirmed credentials are correct and CAPS is turned off.
    • Firewall rule for Remote Desktop is enabled and option is enabled in the System Properties.
      • Connection to target computer is successful using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S that is connected to the WLAN.
    • Downloaded Remote Desktop app from the Windows Store.
      • Encounter the same "Invalid Credentials" error as the Remote Desktop Connection software.
    • Updated firmware for router (Netgear R6300).
    • Power cycled both desktops.
    Resolution:

• Logging into the Microsoft account on the remote computer resolved the issue.
    Conclusion:

• When you're trying to establish a Remote Desktop Connection from a computer that is logged into your Microsoft account to a computer that is logged in to the Local Admin account, the connection will fail stating the credentials are invalid.

afluxnions, Sep 30, 2022
  4. Wamoom Win User

RDP to Desktop using Microsoft Account

Unable to login OR RDP using Microsoft Account

Hi Everyone,

I have three computers that were set up using my Microsoft Account. Recently I tried to RDP into one of them and I can't. I tried both the local PIN and my Microsoft Account password. Both resulted in "The logon attempt failed". I experienced this in the past and after switching from a Microsoft Account to a local account and back again, it resolved itself but that isn't helping here.

Important Details:

• All three computers are on Windows 10 Pro 21H2
    • All three computers have Remote Desktop enabled
    • My Microsoft Account is allowed to RDP into all three
    • My Microsoft Account uses a custom email instead of an Outlook email
    • My Microsoft Account has MFA turned on
    • When my Microsoft Account is added, I cannot log in to the machine using its password. I always have to use the PIN I set up.
    I attempted to find a resolution but have been unsuccessful. I tried deleting the RegEdit profile and re-adding my account. I changed a few Group Policies that were mentioned online, nothing changed.

Any help would be appreciated. I may just switch back to local accounts but I don't like the idea of something not working as designed haha.

Wamoom, Sep 30, 2022
Thema:

RDP to Desktop using Microsoft Account

1. RDP to Desktop using Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - RDP Desktop using

2. RDP to Desktop using Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RDP to Desktop using Microsoft Account: I am having trouble using RDP to connect to a desktop that I have just configured using my Microsoft account. I have tried the steps in the below running the link runas /u:MicrosoftAccount\*** Email address is removed for privacy *** winver but am not able to enter the...
  3. RDP to Desktop using Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RDP to Desktop using Microsoft Account: I am having trouble using RDP to connect to a desktop that I have just configured using my Microsoft account. I have tried the steps in the below running the link runas /u:MicrosoftAccount\*** Email address is removed for privacy *** winver but am not able to enter the...
  4. Unable to login OR RDP using Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to login OR RDP using Microsoft Account: Hi Everyone,I have three computers that were set up using my Microsoft Account. Recently I tried to RDP into one of them and I can't. I tried both the local PIN and my Microsoft Account password. Both resulted in "The logon attempt failed". I experienced this in the past and...
  5. Unable to login OR RDP using Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to login OR RDP using Microsoft Account: Hi Everyone,I have three computers that were set up using my Microsoft Account. Recently I tried to RDP into one of them and I can't. I tried both the local PIN and my Microsoft Account password. Both resulted in "The logon attempt failed". I experienced this in the past and...
  6. Unable to login OR RDP using Microsoft Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Problems connecting RDP Remote Desktop to PC with Microsoft Account login

Problems connecting RDP Remote Desktop to PC with Microsoft Account login: Hi, after some 4 years in IT I finally decided to try all whistles and bells of Microsoft account login for my new laptop. Nice...instead of password I have Authenticator now and PIN as authentication method ...ok, now nobody will ever convince me, that 4-digit PIN can be...
  8. Using Remote Desktop with Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Using Remote Desktop with Microsoft Account: Hi, I am trying to connect to my computer via RDP and my Microsoft account but it showing an error regarding my password is not correct. I changed my password on my Microsoft account but still getting same error message. my Microsoft account already added as RDP user....
  9. Which account to use for RDP when using Microsoft account on Windows 10?

Which account to use for RDP when using Microsoft account on Windows 10?: Hi, this Microsoft account usage is pulling my nerves all the time. With new computer I gave MS a chance and surended upon constant nagging "use MS account here" and "use MS account there" and "sign into MS account"...ok, MS, I WILL! Now I am using my MS account for...
  10. RDP using Windows account tied to Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    RDP using Windows account tied to Microsoft account: I am having a problem using RDP and can't for the life of me figure it out. I have my PC running windows 10 and I use a Microsoft account with a pin to login. I have enabled and configured RDP access on the machine but can't login into it using my account. My Microsoft...