Windows 10: RDP - What's the best way to lock down physical access to my PC while I'm remoting into it...

Discus and support RDP - What's the best way to lock down physical access to my PC while I'm remoting into it... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I plan on using Windows 10's Remote Desktop to access my home PC from elsewhere over the coming weekend. I'd like to make sure while I'm using RDP to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/oops_all____________, Feb 26, 2021.

1. RDP - What's the best way to lock down physical access to my PC while I'm remoting into it...

I plan on using Windows 10's Remote Desktop to access my home PC from elsewhere over the coming weekend. I'd like to make sure while I'm using RDP to connect remotely, someone can't just power on my monitor and watch what I'm doing or take over control (I don't have reason to believe someone would, but I like to make sure as I work under an NDA.)

Is there some way to lock down RDP as such in Win10 Pro?

(Oh, and other RDP security tips are welcome! My current plan is to just port-forward as necessary and set up dynamic DNS, as I usually do when running servers, but I figure there must be some safer gateway/middleman service for RDP like the ones Chrome Remote Desktop and Steam Play Anywhere use out there somewhere.)

submitted by /u/oops_all____________
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/oops_all____________, Feb 26, 2021
  2. Kursah Win User

Remote Desktop

RDP is easy to setup but you need access to the PC you want to RDP to so you can enable the feature. You need to have login credentials to initiate an RDP session according to the requirements for RDP.

Depending on if it is domain joined or not will also have a small effect...I'm assuming it is not domain joined in this situation.

RDP by default locks a user's session and starts a new one. IF you log in as that same user, you'll lock them out of their own session, thus taking over and seeing what they're looking at. They can also log back in and kick you out.

If you have administrative rights to the PC, you should be able to enable and connect using Microsoft Remote Assistance. I believe you can download MSRA from here, set it up and that will give you access similar to Teamviewer, VNC, ScreenConnect, LogMeIn, etc. where you are viewing the same session as the user physically at the console.

Otherwise, you might look at Teamviewer, VNC or Google Remote Desktop as alternatives.

Kursah, Feb 26, 2021
  3. AndreyT Win User
    RDP - how can I reboot remote machine

You simply RDP into the remote machine and issue a Reboot command the same way you'd do it on a physical machine. Nothing special about it.

Older versions of Windows used to prevent direct access to Reboot and Shutdown commands from the GUI when logged in through RDP (so we had to work around it by manually issuing a command-line 'shutdown' command). However, this restriction is gone from Windows 10 - just open the menu, click the power icon and you will see the Reboot command right there. I don't know what is the reason behind this change (and I'd say that the former approach - no Reboot and Shutdown in GUI - made more sense).

Of course, if you are talking about a LAN machine and you have the required credentials you can reboot it without RDP: just use the '/m \\computer' option of 'shutdown' command.

AndreyT, Feb 26, 2021
  4. scott.CG Win User

RDP - What's the best way to lock down physical access to my PC while I'm remoting into it...

Windows 10 remote access doesn't show that a computer is logged-in remotely to the PC.

I know what Anas is talking about.

What he means is, at least for Windows 7 Pro, if a user was remotely connected to a machine, and another person physically stepped in front of the machine that was being remoted into. You would see the standard Windows login page, and the user profile that
    has someone in an RDP session shows up on the profile icon with text below it indicating that someone is actively in a remote session.

In fact, if you try to log on the machine, if I recall correctly it lets you know you will terminate that active RDP session. Either way, it distinctly informs you of an active RDP session.

On Windows 10, the login screen described as such shows no indication whether a user is logged in or not via RDP. Additionally, if you log in, it just logs in normally, whilst terminating the RDP session from the other user. Further along this line, if the
    RDP user tries to log back in after being terminated, the user physically on the machine will just see his session switch back to the login screen. So Rishad is incorrect in indicating you can view the RDP session in real time on the physical machine.

I hope I concisely explained this scenario, but it has bothered me too that Windows 10 does not warn of an active RDP session in progress, and to the unaware, wouldn't even realize whats happening when the above behavior I just explained is experienced.

With that being said, I'd really like to know if there is a way to make these RDP mechanics behave more like Windows 7 did, as it was a lot more convenient to the standard user from an informational perspective.

scott.CG, Feb 26, 2021
Thema:

RDP - What's the best way to lock down physical access to my PC while I'm remoting into it...

1. RDP - What's the best way to lock down physical access to my PC while I'm remoting into it... - Similar Threads - RDP What's best

2. I'm Getting BSOD While Shutting Down My PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I'm Getting BSOD While Shutting Down My PC: Hi. I'm getting BSOD while shutting down my pc after using it for 3-4 hours. It just says shutting down for 2-3 minutes and gives BSOD. When I try to shutdown after 10-20 minutes of usage it shutdowns with no problem. I'm on Windows 11. I'm linking my minidump files below....
  3. What is the best way to backup my computer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the best way to backup my computer?: best way to make backup of whole system all programs, windows and etc and plz explain the following 1. File history2. Recovery driveif something happens like my boot drive fails then what to do*original title: backup...
  4. Selling a business - what's the best way to handover access to PC's

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Selling a business - what's the best way to handover access to PC's: Hello, I have a quick question as I am in the process of selling my business and as part of this process I need to handover two PC's which have various software installed on them to run the different parts of the business. I guess my question is, as part of Windows 10 I...
  5. Best way to clean my PC

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Best way to clean my PC: Hey, So in 2017 i got my gaming pc It has an i5-7600k 1070 ti 16gb ram and more, so its a good pc. When i got it, it ran beautifully.. I could boot in 7 seconds.... But over time, especially now. Its really slow, it has troubles loading chrome etc I know it's not my...
  6. What is the best way to add 'tags' to videos on my PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is the best way to add 'tags' to videos on my PC?: I tried to just put them in the video title but i run out of room. Is there a way to do this? submitted by /u/FinancialJello4 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g8w1th/what_is_the_best_way_to_add_tags_to_videos_on_my/
  7. Best way to remote access personal drive from Off-site

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Best way to remote access personal drive from Off-site: I have been having an issue in which a client I have has a Microsoft surface and we use shared drives on the network on a file share server to help with storage and easy access. I have tried using the a vpn service but still doesn't appear to work gives the error device name...
  8. What's the best way to connect my micro system to my PC?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What's the best way to connect my micro system to my PC?: My PC is running Windows 10 and apparently my PC has no bluetooth. My Pioneer micro system has bluetooth but of course I can't use it on my PC. It also has wi-fi though and both my PC and micro system are connected to my router (PC by ethernet and micro system by wi-fi). So...
  9. What's the best way to connect my micro system to my PC?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What's the best way to connect my micro system to my PC?: My PC is running Windows 10 and apparently my PC has no bluetooth. My Pioneer micro system has bluetooth but of course I can't use it on my PC. It also has wi-fi though and both my PC and micro system are connected to my router (PC by ethernet and micro system by wi-fi). So...
  10. Whats the best way to backup my files?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Whats the best way to backup my files?: Along with my nice new shiny laptop with Windows 10 on it, I have a Western Digital My Passport Ultra drive with 2TB of space. What is the best way to backup all my files - should I use the WD Backup software or does Windows 10 have a backup solution built in that I can...