Windows 10: Re-Activating WIndows 10 after Hardware Change - tool can't find the device I'm using

Discus and support Re-Activating WIndows 10 after Hardware Change - tool can't find the device I'm using in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently updated the motherboard of my PC (which has Windows 10 that I got with the free upgrade from Windows 7). The activation troubleshoot tool... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DWO'sXbox, Jul 5, 2019.

1. DWO'sXbox Win User

Re-Activating WIndows 10 after Hardware Change - tool can't find the device I'm using

I recently updated the motherboard of my PC (which has Windows 10 that I got with the free upgrade from Windows 7). The activation troubleshoot tool took me to where I can select the device I'm trying to update. However, it does not list the device I'm using.

My computer is logged into my microsoft account. If I check the devices attached to the account online (through firefox), it shows this computer, with this motherboard. If I look at details, it says it is up to date. The device info lists all the correct hardware, so it's not looking for the computer as it was before I updated.

When I called support (as that's the only help the troubshoot tool will offer at this point), the agent said it 'was linked to my motherboard' and that I needed my product key, completely ignoring that microsoft.com says my copy of windows is already attached to this motherboard and that I did not have my product key (I said that three times, and each time she came back and repeated that the license was attached to my motherboard, and we needed my product key).

So, either I'm completely missing what she was getting at, or she didn't know how to help with my particular issue and wasn't going to say so, or I really do need a product key to solve the issue. A product key that I didn't bother to keep (if I ever got), and from what I've found, shouldn't need (when I looked into the re-activation process, all it said I needed was my online account log in), because it's a digital license attached to my Microsoft account.

Does anyone have any idea how to get my account-from-windows to recognize what my account-online already knows, and that this device should have access to my license?

:)

DWO'sXbox, Jul 5, 2019
  2. JT1969C10 Win User

Activating WIndows 10 after hardware change.

Before replacing my hardware on my main computer, I logged into my Microsoft Windows account. Once logged in, I saw that the name of the PC that I was upgrading was in my list of PCs that were activated for Windows 10 Pro. So after reviewing how to reactivate
    after a HW changed, I went ahead and upgraded the motherboard, CPU and memory in that PC.

Now, when it is time to reactivate, the PC in question is still listed in the hardware list on my MS account but it will not allow me to activate Windows. I followed the instructions online and ran the troubleshooting tool. It then gave me the following
    response:

Unable to activate Windows

We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re using right now. Make sure you’re signed in with the same Microsoft account you linked to the
    Windows 10 digital license on this device or try again later.

See other devices linked to your Microsoft account

So why would it not find the license that was for this PC when it had the old hardware installed? My assumption, albeit may wrong, was that the PC was activated because it was in the list. It was also activated as a Windows 10 Pro edition.

Anyone have any suggestions on this type of issue?

JT1969C10, Jul 5, 2019
  3. Smitty3PM Win User
    Windows 10 Activation after hardware change

• "You upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, but Windows 10 isn't activated after a reinstall. Your copy of Windows 10 should automatically be activated so long as you didn't make any significant hardware changes to your device (such as replacing
      the hard drive or motherboard)."

I just recently upgraded my motherboard, graphics card, and processor. Now my Windows 10 isnt activated anymore, and when i go through the steps to troubleshoot, it says the windows activation just says.

Unable to activate Windows

We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.

anyone have an answer to this please...

Smitty3PM, Jul 5, 2019
  4. cadaveca Win User

Re-Activating WIndows 10 after Hardware Change - tool can't find the device I'm using

Windows 10 Hardware change

not that easy, unfortunately. fresh install is NOT the way to go, until AFTER the swap. I have swapped boards on my oiverclocking test OS that I use for reviews many times now, and that license (a retail one), de-activated after two board swaps, and then with every board swap after that. All other hardware remained the same. I do fresh installs for benchmarks in reviews, and they have NEVER activated. media creation tool makes it so the dvd will automatically activate on the hardware it was created on, IF the windows it was created on was already activated.

cadaveca, Jul 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Re-Activating WIndows 10 after Hardware Change - tool can't find the device I'm using - Similar Threads - Activating Hardware Change

2. Re activating Windows 10 after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re activating Windows 10 after hardware change: I once upgraded to a new PC and was able to successfully move my windows 10 license from the old PC to the new one So I believe I have already linked my license to my Microsoft account. Unfortunately that PC died last week so I purchased a new one and I want to use the same...
  3. Re activating windows 10 after hardware change

Re activating windows 10 after hardware change: So I recently purchased a new motherboard, cpu & ram from some nice black Friday deals. Was a bit worried installing them would cause trouble since it was a while ago I changed my hardware but it was like riding a bike, sure a bit nervous but it all worked out fine. Out of...
  4. Windows 10 re-activation after a hardware change

Windows 10 re-activation after a hardware change: I've changed a hardware recently and I can't re-activate a Windows 10 that I've received for free on my new configuration with the following message: We can’t activate your copy of Windows as the digital license for this device has already been used to reactivate Windows....
  5. Re-activating Windows 10 after hardware change

Re-activating Windows 10 after hardware change: I have replaced the motherboard in my PC. The previous m/b failed, so I could not retrieve my product key before making the change. Now I cannot reactivate. My copy of Windows 10 was a free upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium, and I don't recall ever receiving a key during...
  6. Re-Activating Windows 10 after hardware change

Re-Activating Windows 10 after hardware change: I recently upgraded some of my hardware components on my PC, including my motherboard. Now Windows is saying I need to reactive. I've ran both troubleshooters and both give me errors. This is not the first time I've upgraded motherboards on this PC. I don't have a product...
  7. Can't re-activate Windows after Hardware change

Can't re-activate Windows after Hardware change: Hi, As I've said in the title I recently changed my processor from my old Intel into a new AMD, therefore I had to change my mother board as well. Everything was running fine last night until this morning when I turned on my PC the watermark to have Windows Active was there,...
  8. Windows 10 not re activating after change of hardware

Windows 10 not re activating after change of hardware: I need help, i have just changed cpu , mobo . Last time i did this i ran into a little bit of trouble but i managed to solve it. I have tried the trouble shoot but its not worked any sugestions?...
  9. Windows 10 re-activation after hardware change

Windows 10 re-activation after hardware change: Hello there So I recently bought a new computer setup with all parts bought separate a few weeks ago. However when all the parts arrived there was a fault on motherboard that I couldn't fix. I did try to setup of the software (windows 10 installation and the like to get...
  10. Can't re-activate windows after hardware change.

Can't re-activate windows after hardware change.: I have recently changed my CPU and GPU and i'm being told i need to reactivate windows but when i enter my product key it tells me it is invalid....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. we can’t find any devices linked to your microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re using right now