Windows 10: re-activating Windows 10 on a new hard

Discus and support re-activating Windows 10 on a new hard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I bought a reconditioned computer that came with an OEM Microsoft Windows 10 product key sticker on the side. This computer came with a 250 GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ClarkPim, Jun 29, 2020.

1. ClarkPim Win User

re-activating Windows 10 on a new hard

Hi,

I bought a reconditioned computer that came with an OEM Microsoft Windows 10 product key sticker on the side. This computer came with a 250 GB hard drive. I want to replace it with a larger hard drive, do a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. The 250 GB hard will not go into another computer as it will be upgraded to a 1 TB or 2 TB hard drive. Can I still activate Windows 10 with the same product key license on the bigger hard drive.

:)

ClarkPim, Jun 29, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 29, 2020
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Windows 10 Activation (Insider)

How long did you wait for activation?
    When I re-installed with a fresh install... it took a few hours to sync and activate.
    However, it did, finally, activate.

95Viper, Jun 29, 2020
  4. Ganesh R. Win User

Windows 10 activation issue after changing hard disk to new computer

My understanding is the the Windows OS in the old hard disk was activated on a different PC and hence is tied to a different hardware.

The new PC had Windows 8.1 and the activation is tied to the new PC.

I would suggest that you re-attach the new HDD, upgrade the OS to Windows 10, let it activate successfully and then swap the HDD. This may allow you to keep your old OS files and have Windows activated. If it does not you will have to re-install Windows 10 on your SSD after you upgrade the Windows 8 OS.

if you don't want to try this, try calling up Microsoft Support and explain them your problem. May be they will just give you a new Activation key.

Ganesh R., Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

1. re-activating Windows 10 on a new hard - Similar Threads - activating hard

2. Not able to activate windows 10 after a failed hard disk containing windows 7

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Not able to activate windows 10 after a failed hard disk containing windows 7: My laptop hard disk containing fully activated windows 7 starter edition not previously upgraded to windows 10 but now start showing imminent smart hard disk failure was change to a new hard disk but now with windows 10 pro installed. I am trying activating the new windows 10...
  3. Traveling and don't have key code to activate WIndows 10 on replacement hard drive

Traveling and don't have key code to activate WIndows 10 on replacement hard drive: I've been traveling and am stuck in Peru for the duration of the Covid-19 quarantine which is not expected to end here until October or later. I'm fine but I had to replace my hard drive. WIndows 10 want my activation code, but don't have key code to activate WIndows 10 on...
  4. Activating Windows, not recognizing external hard drive

Activating Windows, not recognizing external hard drive: I'm being asked to contact the system administrator after my key wasn't accepted, but this is a household with only 2 computers and no system administrator. Its a refurbished Toshiba laptop running Windows 10 Pro and I'm getting my product key from a Windows 7 sticker on the...
  5. Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even with Transfer Rate at 0

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even with Transfer Rate at 0: Hi there, Recently my computer has been experiencing slow downs and occasional program freezes. This happens mostly when opening the file explorer, or trying to access files on this drive. This seems to have occurred after an update, but this may or may not be related....
  6. Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even: Hi there, Recently my computer has been experiencing slow downs and occasional program freezes. This happens mostly when opening the file explorer, or trying to access files on this drive. This seems to have occurred after an update, but this may or may not be related....
  7. Activation after hardware change Motherboard + hard drive

Activation after hardware change Motherboard + hard drive: Trying to Activate windows 10 after motherboard and hard drive change Kept getting “unable to activate message” after trying several times. So, went into my Microsoft account and found I had 2 computers listed i.e. my old motherboards and my new motherboard so seeing that...
  8. activating windows 10 after new hard drive installation - no product code available

activating windows 10 after new hard drive installation - no product code available: Last year I had a new hard drive installed on my computer. The dealer installed Windows 10 at the time. I´m now getting a message that I need to Activate Windows 10 but I do not have a product code. I´ve gone through the online help several times and still can´t seem to...
  9. Hello! Recently transferred my hard drive to a new pc, can't activate Win 10 on new...

Hello! Recently transferred my hard drive to a new pc, can't activate Win 10 on new...: Can anybody help me figure out how to register my old Windows activation key on my new pc? I know that it can be done, but I"m apparently missing something somewhere. Thanks!...
  10. Activation after replacing hard drive

Activation after replacing hard drive: Hi! I will be replacing my faulty hard drive with an SSD next week. I am concerned about how reactivation works for this. Is it automatic/free? I have an HP laptop with OEM activation. I have reinstalled Windows before, but never a clean installation on a brand new drive....