Windows 10: Re-activating Windows after Hardware Change

Discus and support Re-activating Windows after Hardware Change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a genuine copy of Windows 10 Professional-forced upgrade from Genuine (and paid for) Windows 7 Professional. This was checked using slmgr /xpr.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Al Angst, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Al Angst Win User

Re-activating Windows after Hardware Change

I have a genuine copy of Windows 10 Professional-forced upgrade from Genuine (and paid for) Windows 7 Professional. This was checked using slmgr /xpr. There is no product key but a digital license through a linked account. I have upgraded my hardware by replacing the motherboard, CPU, RAM and Graphics card and installing a M2.nVme drive. I then used Samsung’s utility to ‘clone’ the C: drive (120GB SSD with 98GB used) to the 500GB M2 drive. The original OCZ 120 GB SSD is still in the case but disconnected. That's my ‘back up’ if the M2 falters. The rest of the old hardware is in a box in a cupboard. Most of it is more than 10 years old so has little value now.

I have used the Windows Activation Troubleshooter 'I changed Hardware on this device recently'. It has listed my system but when I select it and click 'Activate' I get 'Unable to Activate Windows. We can't activate windows on this device. Try again later.' I have tried several times over a period of hours but without success. Is this just in the hope that I will give up and pay again for something I already own? What can I do to re-activate my installation?

Old system:

Motherboard: Abit Fatality motherboard

CPU: Intel Q6600 2.4Ghz quad core

RAM: Strontium 4GB DDR2

Graphics: Asus Radeon 6950

Windows bootable Hard Drive: OCZ 120GB SSD

Coolermaster Case and 850Watt Power Supply

New System:

Motherboard: Asrok Fatality x470 Gamers K4

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz Hex core

RAM: 16GB DDR4 (G Skill Trident Z RGB

Graphics: Radeon RX580 (Asus Strix OC 8G)

Windows Bootable Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M2.nVme SSD

All mounted in the same Coolermaster case and 850 Watt Power Supply.

:)

Al Angst, Mar 22, 2019
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

windows activation—hardware changed siginficantly

From time to time on my thoroughbred PC, I get a Windows activation message that says my hardware changed siginificantly and I have to re-activate Windows. My hardware hasn't changed any more than a network card (went from a wireless g card to onboard lan to a wired network card), and the install is legit. Why is it doing this, and how can I stop it?

3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 22, 2019
  4. Re-activating Windows after Hardware Change

Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Mar 22, 2019
Thema:

Re-activating Windows after Hardware Change

1. Re-activating Windows after Hardware Change - Similar Threads - activating Hardware Change

2. Re-activating Windows 11 after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-activating Windows 11 after hardware change: I recently updated the hardware on my computer and now I cannot activate Windows. Before I did the update, I made sure my MS account was linked to my digital license. After the hardware update, using the activate option does not work. I've already created a support case a...
  3. Re activating Windows 10 after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re activating Windows 10 after hardware change: I once upgraded to a new PC and was able to successfully move my windows 10 license from the old PC to the new one So I believe I have already linked my license to my Microsoft account. Unfortunately that PC died last week so I purchased a new one and I want to use the same...
  4. Re activating windows 10 after hardware change

Re activating windows 10 after hardware change: So I recently purchased a new motherboard, cpu & ram from some nice black Friday deals. Was a bit worried installing them would cause trouble since it was a while ago I changed my hardware but it was like riding a bike, sure a bit nervous but it all worked out fine. Out of...
  5. Windows 10 re-activation after a hardware change

Windows 10 re-activation after a hardware change: I've changed a hardware recently and I can't re-activate a Windows 10 that I've received for free on my new configuration with the following message: We can’t activate your copy of Windows as the digital license for this device has already been used to reactivate Windows....
  6. windows re-activation after hardware change.

windows re-activation after hardware change.: Hello, I recently upgraded my motherboard and cpu. I made sure to link my windows digital license to my microsoft account before I did this. I ran the troubleshooter and it was unable to reactivate windows. Is there anything I can do?...
  7. Re-activation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-activation after hardware change: Hello, so I upgraded my hardware in my PC and the first time I started it up no issues. Day after Windows are asking to be activated. So I go through the activation trouble shooter and in the end it tells it can not be activated at the time. My windows 10 are free...
  8. Re-Activation of Windows After a Hardware Change

Re-Activation of Windows After a Hardware Change: Hello, I have a bit of situation and cannot get windows to re-activate after a hardware change. Here is the situation, I purchased a MSI AM4 socket motherboard to upgrade from an AM3 board at the beginning of December which was the original system my product of Windows was...
  9. Re-activation after hardware change

Re-activation after hardware change: I recently changed motherboards, and when I booted up my computer, windows was deactivated. I am signed in to the same account I was before, and didn't change editions of windows. I have tried using the built-in troubleshooter, even choosing the "I changed hardware recently"...
  10. Can't re-activate windows after hardware change.

Can't re-activate windows after hardware change.: I have recently changed my CPU and GPU and i'm being told i need to reactivate windows but when i enter my product key it tells me it is invalid....