Windows 10: Re all the unanswered 'use a proxy server' is always enabled questions...

Discus and support Re all the unanswered 'use a proxy server' is always enabled questions... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have intermittently trawled these forums and the web looking for answers to this issue which popped up late last summer when I began getting multiple... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GordonCeee, May 2, 2019.

1. Re all the unanswered 'use a proxy server' is always enabled questions...

I have intermittently trawled these forums and the web looking for answers to this issue which popped up late last summer when I began getting multiple 'tunnel could not be formed' errors. Usually that was when using Chrome.

Research took me to Settings - Network & Internet - Proxy. Turning off 'Use a proxy server' and turning on 'Automatically detect settings' always worked for the rest of the session. When I next booted my PC, the proxy setting was always back on.

All the answers I've found here thus far usually provide the above solution. When it doesn't work they call it a malware issue.

A senior software engineer at Webroot spent nearly 90 minutes going through my system last fall and could find no sign of malware activity. His recommendation: a clean reinstall of Windows 10. Reinstall wasn't practicable at the time so I began turning off the proxy server setting after most bootups.

I finally did the clean reinstall last week: no more proxy server issue. Yesterday it returned. On another site's forum someone found that a recently installed application was the problem. Uninstalled, the proxy setting remained off. He did not mention (!) which application it was.

Working my way back by uninstalling applications I'd just reinstalled, I discovered the culprit: YouGovPulse [156-windowsdesktop-release-2.0.5.0-zc--setup]. Once uninstalled the issue vanished. I'd had this app on my PC for years with no problems, so assume that the issue began with one of their updates last year.

So if you're dealing with this same issue and the standard bromides aren't working start testing by uninstalling your non-MS apps and rebooting. It only took me 5 uninstalls/reboot to find the answer.

:)

GordonCeee, May 2, 2019
  2. Argel Obm Win User

Microsoft edge - "Can't connect to the proxy server"

Hi Marius,

If you're using a proxy server, it is possible that the issue is with the proxy settings. We recommend checking for the proxy settings to see if it is correct. To access the proxy settings, follow these steps:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Select Network & Internet.
    • On the left pane, choose Proxy.

If the proxy settings are correct, we recommend that you disable Use a proxy server and enable
    Automatically detect settings. After enabling the automatic settings, check if you will be able connect to the Internet.

Let us know how it goes.

Argel Obm, May 2, 2019
  3. guzelaw Win User
    cannot connect to the proxy server/ the proxy server isn't working

Thanks, Anup.

Method 1 worked (although with a little bit of tweaking), so no need to try method 2.

Thanks, once again.

guzelaw, May 2, 2019
  4. Jaune Bel Win User

Re all the unanswered 'use a proxy server' is always enabled questions...

proxy server

We appreciate your time responding back to us. Enabling the proxy server isn't safe for your computer. We'd like to know why would you want to use the proxy server.

In the meantime, we suggest that you go to this link for a variety of steps and workarounds that you can use to

fix network connection issues in Windows 10
    . Once you're in the link, look for the
    Run the Network troubleshooter followed by networking commands section and follow its steps. This will help us identify where the issue is coming from and fix it right away.

Let us know how it goes and we'll assist you further if needed.

Jaune Bel, May 2, 2019
Thema:

Re all the unanswered 'use a proxy server' is always enabled questions...

1. Re all the unanswered 'use a proxy server' is always enabled questions... - Similar Threads - unanswered 'use proxy

2. Proxy Servers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Proxy Servers: Is it advisable to use a proxy server for my wireless network? Setup script address was 127.0.0.1:86...Is this a normal configuration? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/proxy-servers/f9dcdd46-0421-4e37-b477-24943eeb017a
  3. Proxy server

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Proxy server: For quite some time after a Microsoft Update I have had to manually turn off the proxy server each day in order to get on the internet. The "Save" button is greyed out, so unable to save the turned off setting. I have spoken to techs about this and they ran some tests, but to...
  4. Unanswered question.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unanswered question.: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-balanced-power-plan-or-power-saver/9ee34dca-21e9-432a-90de-bc2acbe02384 Sorry for follow up but i have concern to answer this question. Thank you....
  5. Follow up unanswered question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Follow up unanswered question: Hello can we pls answer my question? It's ananswered about 2 weeks. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/follow-up-unanswered-question/65b06952-4ecf-40f7-a6be-0d2245fac31e
  6. "Use a Proxy Server"

"Use a Proxy Server": System changes to "Use a Proxy Server" when I close out a session and then log back in. This change also often happens when I am in the middle of a session. This is extremely annoying and frustrating. How can I turn this OFF permanently? I appreciate any help. Thanks...
  7. What advantage is there in useing a proxy server?

What advantage is there in useing a proxy server?: What advantage is there to use a proxy server? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-advantage-is-there-in-useing-a-proxy-server/b9bb959a-1fa0-4f27-8c7e-0780c04e7587
  8. proxy servers

proxy servers: Do I need to have a proxy server on my Notebook connection to the world wide web? Scott G....
  9. Proxy Server

Proxy Server: I have Internet access but on a lot of sites it says that I can't get on the site because of the Proxy Server. This is only happening on one Computer and my other 3 have no problems but they don't have windows 10? 18589
  10. "use a proxy server" doesn't save

"use a proxy server" doesn't save: Hi folks, I've been having issues lately with the "Use a proxy server" setting. Initially whenever I would set the slider to "off" and close settings, it wouldn't save. I found that the issue had to do with the UAC being enabled. After I disabled UAC, the setting could be...