Windows 10: re-boot loses documents folder, desktop shortcuts...

Discus and support re-boot loses documents folder, desktop shortcuts... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I re-booted and now file explorer shows 1 file in my documents folder. 70 of the 100 desktop shortcuts are gone. None of my startup application as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SweetTasha, May 8, 2021.

1. re-boot loses documents folder, desktop shortcuts...

I re-booted and now file explorer shows 1 file in my documents folder. 70 of the 100 desktop shortcuts are gone. None of my startup application as shown in Task Manager were started. OneDrive says I need to create an account; I've been using OneDrive for a couple years. Are all of these resources actually gone?The reason for the re-boot was to log in as another already defined user. I've installed Windows updates regularly, most recently within the last couple of weeks, but It didn't give the option of restarting without updating. Still, it makes no sense that even a re-boot

:)

SweetTasha, May 8, 2021

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, May 8, 2021
  3. KeithM Win User
    documents and desktop folders mixed up

Yep, took another look at your .reg file.

Not only are the Documents folders under This PC (Personal & {f42ee2d3-909f-4907-8871-4c22fc0bf756}) pointing to ...\OneDrive\Documents, but so is {754AC886-DF64-4CBA-86B5-F7FBF4FBCEF5}, which is hte Desktop folder under This PC and thus the source of files seen on your Desktop.

So the SendTo shortcut is fine, it just the wrong folder is designated as your Desktop.

Not sure if you turned off the desktop.ini files as I suggested. If not, vrify actual folder names in PowerShell or a Command Prompt.

• If the correct Desktop folder is named "Desktop" & under your UserProfile folder, you can delete the value named {754AC886-DF64-4CBA-86B5-F7FBF4FBCEF5}. It doesn't exist on a clean install & isn't created until the Desktop is redirected.
    • If your desired Desktop folder is different from the default, edit path for the value {754AC886-DF64-4CBA-86B5-F7FBF4FBCEF5} to that of your desired Desktop.

After a log off/log on, you should be good.

KeithM, May 8, 2021
  4. J364 Win User

re-boot loses documents folder, desktop shortcuts...

Desktop Icon - Actually a source folder not shortcut

Thank you for reply.

Maybe I should clarify a bit. I know 100% that it's not a shortcut because when I move the Documents Icon from my desktop back to the Documents, it says Same Source File. Also, there is no arrow like on a normal shortcut.

This is the way I have my folders organized in my file system:

Documents, then under here, I have hundreds of additional individual folders. So if I were to delete "Documents" I would pretty much lose everything on my laptop. The "Mother Folder" is "Documents". Somehow this Mother Folder is ALSO now on my Desktop
    - but not just as a shortcut. I still see the Mother Folder in my laptop files too. It's like repeated.

Thank you!

J364, May 8, 2021
Thema:

re-boot loses documents folder, desktop shortcuts...

1. re-boot loses documents folder, desktop shortcuts... - Similar Threads - boot loses documents

2. Two Documents folders but no Desktop folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two Documents folders but no Desktop folder: After upgrading from win7 to win10, I found that there are two Documents folders in my user folder. One of these apparently is the Desktop folder containing all desktop files, but named Documents. I cannot change its name, and when trying to create a new Desktop folder,...
  3. Two Documents folders but no Desktop folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two Documents folders but no Desktop folder: After upgrading from win7 to win10, I found that there are two Documents folders in my user folder. One of these apparently is the Desktop folder containing all desktop files, but named Documents. I cannot change its name, and when trying to create a new Desktop folder,...
  4. Two Documents folders but no Desktop folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Documents And Desktop folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents And Desktop folders: Hi,My friend helped me to build a pc recently and I have had a problem where my documents and desktop folders are merged into one. Would really appreciate any ways of suggestions for fixing.Thanks...
  6. Documents And Desktop folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents And Desktop folders: Hi,My friend helped me to build a pc recently and I have had a problem where my documents and desktop folders are merged into one. Would really appreciate any ways of suggestions for fixing.Thanks...
  7. Documents And Desktop folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Documents folder to desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Documents folder to desktop: W10, home version. I don't know why, but my Documents folder has disappeared from the desktop but is still available in the Start menu. How can I move it back to the desktop? Thanks for any replies. 124788
  9. Desktop shortcut with a path to"AppData" loses it's icon.

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcut with a path to"AppData" loses it's icon.: path: C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\ For some reason any Desktop shortcut with a path to"AppData" loses it's icon. The first shortcut looks correct, but after a restart, it becomes blank even with: Properties> Change icon. 115123
  10. Keep losing colored cursor on re-booting?

in Windows 10 Support
    Keep losing colored cursor on re-booting?: Not sure if this is the right place to post? Used Real World Cursor Editor (Download RealWorld Cursor Editor - free - latest version) to change the color of my cursor on the latest update of W10. However, every time that the computer is closed and then re-booted, the cursor...