Windows 10: Re-build the meta data on a hard drive

Discus and support Re-build the meta data on a hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; First, I'm not sure the title is correct ... meta data. Secondly, I'm not sure this would be the correct forum, but I'm not sure where to start. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by awsmitty-h, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Re-build the meta data on a hard drive

First, I'm not sure the title is correct ... meta data. Secondly, I'm not sure this would be the correct forum, but I'm not sure where to start.

I'm need help with the information on a hard drive that tells where on the hard drive the file is stored, hence the second statement above. This I don't believe is a Windows issue ... it's a hard drive issue. My problem is this ... my files are still on the hard drive but I can't access them. They show up in a search, but I can't open them. If I start at the directory drive letter and follow the path folder by folder to the file, once i get to the folder where the file should be it says the folder is empty, but keep in mind the search says it's there, and I believe it is still there. The overall storage used on the drove indicates these files are still on the drive; I've just lost the ability to access them

So, I'm not sure this is what's referred to as meta data. If so do any one know how to access this data. Keep in mind I can not access the file(s), at least I haven't figured out how as of yet.

If I'm in the wrong forum could someone please suggest where I might post this.

:)

awsmitty-h, Apr 3, 2019
  2. Msap14 Win User

Hard Drive Data Recovery

got a laptop pata hard drive that makes a slight constant clicking noise. hard drive is more than likely dead/dying right... i can see that partitions of the hard drive in disk management and i can see the partitions in my computer but i can't get to any of the data.

any suggestions?

Msap14, Apr 3, 2019
  3. Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Re-build the meta data on a hard drive :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Apr 3, 2019
  4. badrobot Win User

Re-build the meta data on a hard drive

Partitioning My Hard Drive Without Losing Data

Download any of the suggested programs above and fire up Youtube for a step by step instruction. Easus is a good software. But I personally use MiniTool Partition Wizard.

It will only take 5 minutes to become a professional hard drive partitioner. Re-build the meta data on a hard drive :)

badrobot, Apr 3, 2019
Thema:

Re-build the meta data on a hard drive

1. Re-build the meta data on a hard drive - Similar Threads - build meta data

2. Re-Partition Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-Partition Hard Drive?: Hello, since I first bought my new HP Pavilion it came set up with 118GB for the C drive and 931GB for the D drive. All of the software I install quickly takes up space in my C drive so I am constantly having to delete things to make room. I have a lot of software needed for...
  3. File Explorer: Issues with meta data

File Explorer: Issues with meta data: Hi I am tagging all my photos right now. I am struggling with problems in File Explorer, when using multiple tags in combination with the search. Issue 1 detail pane: Without search, all tags are listed: [ATTACH] With search, only a few tags are listed:...
  4. How to re-partition a hard drive in Windows 10 without erasing data

in Windows 10 News
    How to re-partition a hard drive in Windows 10 without erasing data: [ATTACH]On purchasing a brand new computer, the hard drive usually has a single partition. […] This article How to re-partition a hard drive in Windows 10 without erasing data first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  5. Hard Drive Data Recovery

Hard Drive Data Recovery: I have an old hard drive that I cannot access. When I plug it in I can feel that it is spinning on the inside but it will not show up in the file explorer. Is there any way that I can fix it so that I can access the files on the hard drive? Or any way I can recover the data?...
  6. WMP meta data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WMP meta data: Hi I have a question on why WMP seems to change meta data inconsistently. What is happening is: - I will go through the effort of updating a song's metadata (clicking on "Find Album Info") - The data will change, including the file name as per the settings in WMP and sorting...
  7. Advice re: new hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Advice re: new hard drive: I bought a new Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB drive a few weeks ago in an attempt to fix a problem PC. I may have to scrap the machine (as still cant be fixed) and i wanted to ask are these viable options for my new £765 drive. 1. buy a machine with an HHD and add my SSD drive as a...
  8. Location of meta data for Photo in Windowa 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Location of meta data for Photo in Windowa 10: Where are the generated meta data for video projects stored on my computer? I need to make sure that the data is backuped (did lose some video projects when I reinstalled windows 10). Is there a way in Photo to setup where this data is stored? Also, there is a function to...
  9. Hard drive Data Recovery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive Data Recovery: Hii i have dell inspiron 5570 laptop with optane memory feature. Few days back my laptop is not booting up it says an error regarding to hard drive. So my question is can i get my laptop hard drive data which is 64 bit OS format in 32 bit OS system...
  10. Data Hard Drive in This PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Data Hard Drive in This PC: I got this PC yesterday and have noticed that there is a random empty drive in This PC. It says "762 GB free of 763 GB." Does this come with every OS and what is it used for? 21080