Windows 10: Re-claim Free Space in Storage Spaces Volume

Discus and support Re-claim Free Space in Storage Spaces Volume in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Win10 machine with 1x 500GB SSD (boot drive) and 3x 3TB HDD. I have storage spaces set up for the HDDs and have noticed that any deleted data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tejman, Sep 20, 2019.

1. tejman Win User

Re-claim Free Space in Storage Spaces Volume

I have a Win10 machine with 1x 500GB SSD (boot drive) and 3x 3TB HDD. I have storage spaces set up for the HDDs and have noticed that any deleted data in the volume does not change "usage" according to storage spaces. Now it says my volume is full despite having only ~5TB on it. I have linked screenshots of my output where relevant.

How do I get my free space back?

Here is what I tried already after a lot of searching and nothing has worked:

• Optimize Volume via the GUI (0% trimmed; 99% efficiency) - No Changes
    • Optimize-Volume Slab Consolidation
    • Optimize-Volume Defrag
      • ERROR - Volume Full (I deleted 40GB worth of data and still got a "volume full" error)
      • I tried this defrag manually before the drive was "full" and it ran the defrag but I didnt get any space back
    • Chkdsk
    • Empty Recycle bin, restart, etc.

Is there anything I can do short of deleting the volume and starting over?

Can I prevent in the future? Because if this is just the nature of Storage Spaces they won't work for me.

:)

tejman, Sep 20, 2019

2. Any way to downgrade ver. of MS Storage spaces volume w/o data loss?

1. Install Windows 1607 & 1709 dual boot system
    2. Connect two free disks
    3. Boot into 1607
    4. Create storage pool, assign two free disks, create two-way mirror volume
    5. Copy data to new volume
    6. Reboot into 1709
    7. Upgrade your Storage Space pool to gain new features as MS suggests
    8. Reboot into 1607
    9. Your Storage Space configuration looks now as in the picture, volume is inaccessible
    10. Notice that doing step 7 was not the smartest idea, data are now accessible only from Windows 1709.

Question: Is it possible to simply revert Storage Spaces metadata back to version 1607? Answer: No. It is necessary to backup data, destroy upgraded pool, create new pool & mirror in Windows 1607, and restore data.

Is it so hard to understand what necros asks for?

muchomurka, Sep 20, 2019
  3. Storage Space

Surface Pro 3 storage space is low. Storage settings say that Apps and Games is using 17.5 GB but when I add up the space from the list of apps it is only 5.7 GB. What is taking up up the other ~12 GB and how do I free up space?

renataAtkinson1, Sep 20, 2019
  4. Re-claim Free Space in Storage Spaces Volume

How to restore a volume accidentally deleted from Storage Spaces

Need urgent help here:

1. I have a Mass Storage Space created in Windows 10 and it includs 3 disks

2. In Disk Manager, I accidentally deleted the volume on the storage space

3. The files are all there intact on the three disk as in the Storage Space management page the disks are all showing as being at capacity (see attached screen shot below)

4. In disk manager, the D drive previously associated with the Storage Space is now showing as unallocated

Question: Is it possible to restore the volume on the storage space? If I create a volume on the D drive without formatting it, would that allow me to access all the files still in the Storage Space?

Thanks!

Re-claim Free Space in Storage Spaces Volume [​IMG]

Anonymous200900, Sep 20, 2019
Thema:

Re-claim Free Space in Storage Spaces Volume

1. Re-claim Free Space in Storage Spaces Volume - Similar Threads - claim Free Space

2. Storage Spaces not re-balancing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces not re-balancing: Hello. I’m using Microsoft Storage Space on Windows 11Vantec HX4R HDD enclosure1 x 4Tb HDD1 x 2Tb HDD2 x 1Tb HDDI have filled it up half way and it says there is no free space left. I see the 2 x 1Tb HDD’s are 99.9% full. The 4Tb is at about 20% and the 2Tb is at about 40%I...
  3. Storage Spaces not re-balancing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Spaces not re-balancing: Hello. I’m using Microsoft Storage Space on Windows 11Vantec HX4R HDD enclosure1 x 4Tb HDD1 x 2Tb HDD2 x 1Tb HDDI have filled it up half way and it says there is no free space left. I see the 2 x 1Tb HDD’s are 99.9% full. The 4Tb is at about 20% and the 2Tb is at about 40%I...
  4. Free up storage space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Free up storage space: Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place, but I just wasn't sure where else to put this. My laptop has barely any storage space left, and that's because 174 gigabytes of it are being used by apps. The problem is, I don't have many apps with large sizes, I just have tons of apps...
  5. freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    freeing storage usage of windows storage spaces: Hi there, I switched from winbtrfs to windows storage spaces. I have 4 drives for them and firstly attached 2 drives, copied data to it and then attached the other 2 drives and optimized the storage to equal the storage usage over the 4 drives. Unfortunately the blocks...
  6. Windows 10 Storage Spaces out of space with 2TB free space

Windows 10 Storage Spaces out of space with 2TB free space: I'm using 5 3TB drives to set up a Storage Space pool with parity, as each disk contributes 2.72TB to the pool, I have a total of 9.07TB 2.72x4. However, even though the disk "Properties" shows I still have 1.92TB of free space, Storage Spaces manager reports every disk is...
  7. Storage Spaces saying no free space, but I appear to have ~6TB of space free

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Storage Spaces saying no free space, but I appear to have ~6TB of space free: Album with a few photos showing the issue and my configuration. This issue is likely of mine own doing, but I don't know enough about Storage Spaces to know where I went wrong. I began the pool with 4x8TB drives, then added 2x10TB drives later on. I recently safely removed...
  8. Free storage space

Free storage space: I am having trouble clearing storage on my PC disk. My laptop has used 28.9 GB of 29 GB. I deleted apps and files. The use of storage on this laptop is now at 28.3 GB. I want to at least delete 10 GB or clear the disk out. I am trying to restore my iPhone using the iTunes app...
  9. Re: Free Disk Space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Re: Free Disk Space: I would like to know how do I transfer data from my internal hard drive to a memory stick, the problem is my laptop's internal hard drive is only 30GB and Windows is taking the most space? Please can someone assist? Much Appreciated....
  10. disk storage: freeing up space

disk storage: freeing up space: Microsoft: In the change how free up space automatically, I had 3.08 GB of space freed up. But it dropped down to 3.06 GB. I managed to free up space and it went up to 3.07 but now, it dropped down to 2.73 GB. What happened there? Is it a bug or is that normal or what is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows storage spaces reclaim thin free space

2. windows claim free space