Windows 10: re: Controlled Folder Access

Discus and support re: Controlled Folder Access in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have Windows 10, Version 1909. In Ransomware Protection should Controlled Folder Access be on or off? I notice mine is Off. Thank you, Bill.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by BillBurbidge, Jan 25, 2020.

1. re: Controlled Folder Access

I have Windows 10, Version 1909.

In Ransomware Protection should Controlled Folder Access be on or off? I notice mine is Off.

Thank you,

Bill.

:)

BillBurbidge, Jan 25, 2020
  2. Matt316 Win User

Controlled Folder Access

Hi.

I've been using Controlled Folder Access recently but I'm having a problem getting one application to change/create files. I use doPDF8 to create PDF files, but when CFA is active, it won't save my work. The notice explaining that something has tried accessing the folder only comes up once. (I assume that if you don't do anything about it, the program trying to access the file is put on the 'black list'.) Turning CFA off and then on again causes the notice to appear once more. However, the notice seems to suggest that it is C:\Windows\splwow64.exe that is trying to access/create the file, but when I put this into the 'allow app control' list, it still doesn't work. The only way I can find to get the PDF file created is to turn off CFA, create the file and then turn it back on again.

Any ideas?

Matt

(Windows 10 ver 1709)

Matt316, Jan 25, 2020
  3. Jsssssssss, Jan 25, 2020
  4. Eric Ber Win User

re: Controlled Folder Access

Controlled Folder Access blocked

Hi Aeolus0,

The Controlled Folder Access is an enterprise-class ransomware protection component that was recently added to Windows Defender. When you turn on Controlled folder access, a lot of the folders you use most often will be protected by default. This means that
    content in any of these folders cannot be accessed or changed by any unknown or untrusted apps. Once you add additional folders, they become automatically protected as well. To add protected folders:

• Select Virus & threat protection settings.
    • Under Controlled folder access, select Protected folders.
    • Select Add a protected folder and follow the prompts to add folders.

If you see an App is blocked message when you try to use a familiar app, you can simply unblock the app. If this message displays:

• Write down or take note of the path of the blocked app.
    • Select the message, and then select Add an allowed app.
    • Browse for the program you want to allow access.

As for your query about having no sounds on your computer, it could be caused by an outdated or corrupted audio driver. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • Have you tried to download and install the latest audio driver from the manufacturer's website of your device?

Meanwhile, you can try the steps in this
    link
    to troubleshoot sound issues on Windows 10.

We'll be looking forward to your reply.

Eric Ber, Jan 25, 2020
Thema:

re: Controlled Folder Access

1. re: Controlled Folder Access - Similar Threads - Controlled Folder Access

2. controlled folder access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    controlled folder access: When trying to open Controlled Folder Access, a window opened that said the IT administrator had restricted access to this page. The computer is my personal PC and I have no IT Administrator. How do I retrieve access to this page?...
  3. controlled folder access

in Windows 10 Customization
    controlled folder access: When trying to open Controlled Folder Access, a window opened that said the IT administrator had restricted access to this page. The computer is my personal PC and I have no IT Administrator. How do I retrieve access to this page?...
  4. controlled folder access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    controlled folder access: My real-time protection, cloud-delivered protection, automatic sample submission, tamper protections all are off. I try to on it. but it doesn't work. It says to on the controlled folder access. but when I try to on that option. it doesn't work. It says, "protects files,...
  5. Controlled Folder Access

Controlled Folder Access: Hi. I've been using Controlled Folder Access recently but I'm having a problem getting one application to change/create files. I use doPDF8 to create PDF files, but when CFA is active, it won't save my work. The notice explaining that something has tried accessing the folder...
  6. CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CONTROLLED FOLDER ACCESS: MY CONTOLLED FOLDER ACCESS WILL NOT TURN ON https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/controlled-folder-access/7c2fdde9-b968-47ee-88b5-b8411d7e02b9
  7. Controlled Folder Access

Controlled Folder Access: Why is Win 10 suddenly blocking access to all games in my STEAM folder? I have to constantly add each and every game I access to the add access in controlled folders. I understand that I can turn it off (which I don't want to do). I have already given permission for...
  8. Controlled Folder Access

Controlled Folder Access: Trying to use Controlled Folder access on a couple of machines. I am running into an issue where after about a day defender notifications no longer appear in the action center nor are they logged by defender in event viewer. If i look in event viewer at the defender...
  9. Controlled folder access

Controlled folder access: For some reason, this little pop up saying controlled folder access blocked c:\Program and involves Dropbox, I have no idea what this means or how to make it stop, why does it keep popping up? Is it bad?...
  10. Controlled folder access

Controlled folder access: For the last week the controlled folder access is blocking my Quicken program from updating or downloading anything. When I click on the notice it takes me to the allow app but when I open that to choose to allow app nothing is there! I really need to use my Quicken. How do...