Windows 10: Re-enabling 'Always ask before opening this file type' check box in Windows 10

Discus and support Re-enabling 'Always ask before opening this file type' check box in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, Is there any way of re-enabling the check box 'Always ask before opening this file type' in Windows 10? It is for a .docx file. I have tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DonnachaOH, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Re-enabling 'Always ask before opening this file type' check box in Windows 10

Hi,

Is there any way of re-enabling the check box 'Always ask before opening this file type' in Windows 10?

It is for a .docx file.

I have tried removing the default program association through regedit, but cannot find anything online that shows how to re-enable this tick box.

Preferably a method without having to restart the system is ideal, as this is being done on a server.

Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

DonnachaOH, Sep 11, 2020

2. Enable: Always Ask Before Opening this Type of File" Security Warning Check Box in Internet Explorer 11

I accidentally uncheck "Always Ask Before Opening this Type of File" from File Security Download dialog box and the warning box is not showing anymore. What I want is to revert the settings again so that the dialog box will appear again. Please help. Tried
    searching a work around to troubleshoot this problem but I could only found the steps for WINDOWS 7 only. I am using WINDOWS 10 and ie11. Thank you

***Original title: How to Re-enable "Always Ask Before Opening this Type of File" Security Warning Check Box in Windows in ie11 WINDOWS 10***

Jarvis ChristianPalada, Sep 11, 2020
  3. Enable: Always Ask Before Opening this Type of File" Security Warning Check Box in Internet Explorer 11

Hi Jarvis,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to re-enable the option
    Always Ask before Opening this Type of File
    in internet explorer 11.

I would suggest you to reset the internet explorer settings to default and check if that helps. Follow the steps mentioned below to reset the settings.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type
      inetcpl.cpl
      and hit enter.
    3. Now select the Advanced tab, and click on
      Restore advanced settings.
    4. Click on Apply.
    5. Restart the PC.

If you have any further queries, please get back to us and we will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Sep 11, 2020
  4. xypha Win User

Re-enabling 'Always ask before opening this file type' check box in Windows 10

Enable Always Ask Before Opening this Type of File in Windows 10

Found the answer on Chron.com and Help Desk Geek

1. Click "Start" and type "regedit" (without quotes) in the search box. Click on "regedit.exe" from the search results.
    2. Click "Yes" if a User Account Control message appears to access the registry.
    3. Go to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Shell \ AttachmentExecute.
    4. Look for a key consisting of a long string of letters and numbers.
      • These keys represent the file types you told Windows not to ask about when opening
      • The key may vary depending on the web browser you were using when you disabled the option.
      • For Internet Explorer, you will see {0002DF01-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} as a key under the AttachmentExecute key.
    5. Select one of the keys under the AttachmentExecute key.
      • The right pane contains a (Default) value plus values for each of the file types for which you turned off the Always ask before opening this type of file check box.
      • Click a key to see its associated file type in the right pane.
      • Right-click on the file type and click "Delete."
    6. Click "Yes" to confirm and then exit the registry. Windows will once again prompt you with a warning message when you try to open that file type.

xypha, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

Re-enabling 'Always ask before opening this file type' check box in Windows 10

1. Re-enabling 'Always ask before opening this file type' check box in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - enabling 'Always ask

2. Enable: Always Ask Before Opening this Type of File" Security Warning in Microsoft Dynamics...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable: Always Ask Before Opening this Type of File" Security Warning in Microsoft Dynamics...: I unchecked "Always Ask Before Opening this Type of File" from File Security Download dialog box when downloading .XML files from within Microsoft Dynamics Navision 2018 and the warning box is not showing anymore. What I want is to revert the settings again so that the dialog...
  3. Enable: Always Ask Before Opening this Type of File" Security Warning in Microsoft Dynamics...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enable: Always Ask Before Opening this Type of File" Security Warning in Microsoft Dynamics...: I unchecked "Always Ask Before Opening this Type of File" from File Security Download dialog box when downloading .XML files from within Microsoft Dynamics Navision 2018 and the warning box is not showing anymore. What I want is to revert the settings again so that the dialog...
  4. How to enable Always ask before opening such a file in Win10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to enable Always ask before opening such a file in Win10: such as .exe https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-always-ask-before-opening-such-a/195e7c2c-3b6f-4f3d-98e4-ae388affecec
  5. Enable: Always Ask Before Opening this Type of File" Security Warning Check Box in Internet...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Enable: Always Ask Before Opening this Type of File" Security Warning Check Box in Internet...: I accidentally uncheck "Always Ask Before Opening this Type of File" from File Security Download dialog box and the warning box is not showing anymore. What I want is to revert the settings again so that the dialog box will appear again. Please help. Tried searching a work...
  6. ask before opening a drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ask before opening a drive: Set Windows 10 to ask before opening storage drives. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ask-before-opening-a-drive/765979ba-cde5-4435-88b5-8228a58cd5e7"
  7. How to Re-enable "Always Ask Before Opening this Type of File" Security Warning Check Box...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to Re-enable "Always Ask Before Opening this Type of File" Security Warning Check Box...: I accidentally uncheck "Always Ask Before Opening this Type of File" from File Security Download dialog box and the warning box is not showing anymore. What I want is to revert the settings again so that the dialog box will appear again. Please help. Tried searching a work...
  8. Enable 'Always Ask Before Opening This Type of File' in Outlook 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Enable 'Always Ask Before Opening This Type of File' in Outlook 2016: I accidentally remove the checkbox 'Always Ask Before Opening This Type of File' when opening an attachment in outlook 2016 on windows 10. Anyone knows how i can restore this please? *Mad i find that you can resolve this by deleting the long string number in the key...
  9. Disable 'Always Ask Before Opening This File'

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable 'Always Ask Before Opening This File': When I'm about to install an .exe file I get a security warning with the heading, "Do you want to run this file" along with an option to, "Always ask before opening this file." I checked off that option and I disabled UAC. I don't want to see this message again when I install...
  10. Reenable 'Always ask before opening this file'

in Windows 10 Support
    Reenable 'Always ask before opening this file': How do I reenable back the 'Always ask before opening this file' security popup for a .js script file? It is normally executed by Microsoft Windows Based Script Host. While it is annoying for everytime I double-clicked it instead of right-clicking it to edit the code,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ask before opening this type of file