Windows 10: Re-Formatting Problems; Help and suggestions Please (W10)

Discus and support Re-Formatting Problems; Help and suggestions Please (W10) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I found a WD external 1 TB HD on my shelf that I forgot about. Would like to use again. My Mac won't recognize it, so I imagine it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Robert11, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Robert11 Win User

Re-Formatting Problems; Help and suggestions Please (W10)

Hello,

I found a WD external 1 TB HD on my shelf that I forgot about.
    Would like to use again.
    My Mac won't recognize it, so I imagine it was initially formatted for Windows (but am not 100% sure).
    That's fine, as i have both a Mac and a W10 pc.

So, I guess i would like to reformat it, as EXFAT, for my W10 pc.

Having all sorts of problems in trying to do so.
    Any and all suggestions would be most appreciative.
    Of course, the WD external HD might truly be damaged, but I don't think so.

So, I go to Disk Mangement, and plug the external HD via USB into the W10 pc.
    Fine.
    it seems to show up.

The left hand column says:
    Disk 1
    Basic

The right hand pane shows what I think are 3 partitions:

The left hand one says 200 MB Healthy (EFI System Partition)

The middle shows: 931 GB Halthy (primary partition)

The right hand shows129 MB Unallocated

So, it "seems" like the drive is actually working.
    If I right mouse click on the left hand pane, i thought it would pull up a Format, or an Erase, menu.
    Nope.

*It does give me an option for "Dynamic Disc". What, please is a Dynamic Disk" ?

I can find no Format menu in either the Disk Management options on the top (the Action/All Tasks/Format is greyed out),
    or by clicking anywhere in the 3 partitions.

What am I, as usual, missing ?
    Where do i find the options to re-format it ?
    How do I Erase, and then re-format this drive, please ?

Thanks for help; much appreciated,
    Bob

:)

Robert11, Dec 13, 2019

2. help to remote connect

not sure how to use both programs u 2 suggested, i need more helpful steps thanks

Corduroy_Jr, Dec 13, 2019
  3. g12rxz Win User
    Motherboard problem...PLEASE help!

i suggest getting a friend to help you backup whats on your hard drive and formatting it, that way you can isolate the problem instead of 'i think the hard drive works' situation.

g12rxz, Dec 13, 2019
  4. Fernandz Win User

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Dec 13, 2019
Thema:

1. Re-Formatting Problems; Help and suggestions Please (W10) - Similar Threads - Formatting Problems Help

2. Please suggest the solution of this problem error.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please suggest the solution of this problem error.: Please suggest the solution of this problem error. The screen shot of the error has been attached. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-suggest-the-solution-of-this-problem-error/8c3b13c5-e904-4c46-9c27-0960555a574f
  3. Please suggest the solution of this problem error.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please suggest the solution of this problem error.: Please suggest the solution of this problem error. The screen shot of the error has been attached. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/please-suggest-the-solution-of-this-problem-error/8c3b13c5-e904-4c46-9c27-0960555a574f
  4. Please suggest the solution of this problem error.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Re-formatting . . .

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-formatting . . .: My computer is a Dell laptop.running Windows 10.For a couple of reasons. I need to Re-format it.I'm looking for advice,on how to do it?Just last night I spend,three hours formatting. But, it ended up saying it was unable to get it done?I want to, delete everything!I have, all...
  6. suggestions please

suggestions please: Every time I try to sync my email I get error code 0x800400c8. if I try to reset my computer it tells me there was a "problem" and no changes made. hp support assistant won't update or run any troubleshooting. it gives me a non specific error message. there's no problem with...
  7. Format Question, Please (W10, WD External HD)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Format Question, Please (W10, WD External HD): Hi, Thanks for all the previous help. Super Forum and folks. Found an "old" WD 1 TPB external HD. Bought it about a yr ago. Know nothing about its history, but would like to erase everything on it, and use in my Mac or W10 pc. Mac wont recognize it in the normal...
  8. Format Question, Please (W10, WD External HD)

in Windows 10 Support
    Format Question, Please (W10, WD External HD): Hi, Thanks for all the previous help. Super Forum and folks. Found an "old" WD 1 TPB external HD. Bought it about a yr ago. Know nothing about its history, but would like to erase everything on it, and use in my Mac or W10 pc. Mac wont recognize it in the normal...
  9. Formatting Windos 10, help please!

Formatting Windos 10, help please!: Hi everyone, I am running Windows 10 home on my HP Pavilion Notebook and due to some problems I wanted to format my Laptop. My question is if formatting through "settings - update & security - recovery - restart this PC - delete all" everything everything gets deleted?...
  10. Changing format help please

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing format help please: How do I change the format of my forums? Every single one has changed format since I changed over to WIN10. My WIN7 PC died so I cannot give an example of how it looked before but it was more like a table than a spreadsheet. [img] Lots of thanks in advance *Smile 29542