Windows 10: Re: Gmail as default email

Discus and support Re: Gmail as default email in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I have recently purchased a Windows 10 loaded Lenovo laptop. I want Gmail to be the default email client. At the moment, I can access Gmail, through... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by billbir, Sep 7, 2015.

1. billbir Win User

Re: Gmail as default email

I have recently purchased a Windows 10 loaded Lenovo laptop. I want Gmail to be the default email client. At the moment, I can access Gmail, through Outlook.com but do not like the way it is presented and prefer Gmail's format. Is there any way that I can unravel this, so that when I click START and EMAIL it goes direct to my Gmail account, unaffected by Outlook? Any guidance would be much appreciated,

:)

billbir, Sep 7, 2015

2. Mail page/link

Neither of those programs are email clients which is what you need for Send To or Mailto commands. You might be able to trick Gmail into thinking it's an email client though. This used to work. No idea if it still does.

How to set Gmail as default

How to Set Gmail as Your Browser's Default Email Client for Mailto Links

Bruce Hagen, Sep 7, 2015
  3. nilarav Win User
    Backspace not working Lumia 535 when replying email

Hi Leif,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Actually I deleted my Gmail account and then re created. Now the backspace is working.

But a new problem started now:

When I receive a new Gmail email, I touch to open it from Notification screen. Instead of opening that email, it actually opens the
    last Hotmail I opened.

After closing this Hotmail screen, then it goes to Gmail inbox. Now I have to touch again to open it and read.

Pl. note that the Hotmail account is the default one and there is no option to delete it and re create it.

It is a shame that Microsoft software engineers make such programs!

Their email client should be the best because they have more than 20 years of experience starting with outlook express.

Regards

nilarav, Sep 7, 2015
  4. elbmek Win User

I too am trying to make gmail my default, I dont use MS accounts.

elbmek, Apr 21, 2017
  5. I gave up on trying what you're talking about. I just put a Shortcut to gmail on the Desktop.

Wiley Coyote, Apr 21, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    The basic issue is that Gmail, Yahoo mail, Outlook.com and Hotmail.com [may be others] are not E-Mail Clients, they are Webmail/Online E-Mail accessed via one's Internet Browser such as Internet Explorer, Edge, Firefox, SeaMonkey, Safari, etc. [SeaMonkey does include an installable E-Mail Client.] Microsoft's Office/Outlook, IncrediMail, the old Outlook Express, Thunderbird among others are installable E-Mail Clients.

Berton, Apr 21, 2017
  7. I do miss Outlook Express.

Wiley Coyote, Apr 21, 2017
  8. Berton Win User

Berton, Apr 21, 2017
  9. elbmek Win User
    Its really very simple. When I click on an email address on site, it opens Windows Mail. I dont want that, I want it to go directly to gmail, I dont use windows mail. When a site says 'contact us here' on it goes to Mail. There is no identifiable link for me to cut and paste.

I used to be able to substitute gmail for live mail, outlook mail or whatever. I cannot do that now. MS have monpolised the settings to open only outlook, mail etc.

in this context gmail on desktop, which i have, is not the solution.

elbmek, Apr 21, 2017
  10. Setup your browser as a default app to handle emails, so it would open in webmail. It works for me.

TairikuOkami, Apr 21, 2017
  11. elbmek Win User
    I already have FF set for googlemail default. And its my default browser. It makes no difference. There is no option for webmail.

Re: Gmail as default email [​IMG]

elbmek, Apr 21, 2017
  12. TairikuOkami, Apr 21, 2017
  13. Edwin New Member

Gmail Notifier Pro:

Gmail Notifier Pro - Professional Gmail notifier for Windows

Re: Gmail as default email [​IMG]

Edwin, Apr 21, 2017
  14. elbmek Win User
    installed but can get it to work Edwin, need to check out site again .............................
    keeps telling me unauthenticated

elbmek, Apr 21, 2017
  15. Edwin New Member
    Can you show a screenshot of that?

Edwin, Apr 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Re: Gmail as default email - Similar Threads - Gmail default email

2. cannot reply to a gmail email

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cannot reply to a gmail email: I receive messages from people with gmail but when I reply using Windows 10 Mail it bounces backYour message was not delivered because the destination computer refused to accept it the error message is reproduced below. This type of erroris usually due to a mis-configured...
  3. How can I make gmail my default email in Microsoft 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I make gmail my default email in Microsoft 10?: How can I make gmail my default email instead of Outlook? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-make-gmail-my-default-email-in-microsoft/ce83f69a-d78f-4e25-9a8f-4d4e3bc8cb87
  4. How do I make Edge default Gmail Email handler?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I make Edge default Gmail Email handler?: So whenever I click on Email address literally anywhere on Internet I want Gmail web to open. Is this possible? I see some Google Chrome tutorials for that but don't really for Edge. submitted by /u/Super_Govedo [link] [comments]...
  5. New Gmail email security with TLS by default and other new features

in Windows 10 News
    New Gmail email security with TLS by default and other new features: What’s changing Recently, the Google Security blog outlined how the usage of Transport Layer Security (TLS) has grown to more than 96% of all traffic seen by a Chrome browser on Chrome OS. The blog post also highlighted a significant goal: to enable TLS by...
  6. change default email from outlook to gmail

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    change default email from outlook to gmail: I want gmail to be my mailto client. I want to remove outlook as the default https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-email-from-outlook-to-gmail/7617cc69-5cd8-43c9-a921-1b44b4e22cc3
  7. Gmail default on Google browser

Gmail default on Google browser: How can I change the default program of "Gmail" to "Inbox" on the Google Browser? (when I first bring up a page on my chrome browser, there is a shortcut on the upper right corner for Gmail.) thank you...
  8. Gmail default stopped working

Gmail default stopped working: Gmail is my default program and I use it from Chrome. I can no longer click on file to send it by email as I get the message to say that there is no email program associated. My default app is set as Chrome, and G Mail is set in Chrome "Handlers". As it worked before, has...
  9. Making Gmail my default email

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Making Gmail my default email: Hope someone can help me please. I want to make Gmail my default email, but when I go to change it, the only options are Google Chrome and Mail. By choosing Google Chrome - it still does not make Gmail, my default mail. I want to be able to right click on a picture on my...
  10. Attachments in Gmail are defaulting to Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Attachments in Gmail are defaulting to Edge: I got a return label e-mailed to me in Gmail. When I click on the attachment to either download it, or open the PDF, I get error messages. I am on Gmail in Chrome. If I try to download, it says I cannot do this (open Edge) under the Administrative account, switch accounts. If...