Windows 10: Re-Install From USB Drive Error

Discus and support Re-Install From USB Drive Error in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am using the same bootable windows 10 installation thumb drive to do a clean install of windows 10. I've done it multiple times in recent days.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimlau, Aug 19, 2017.

1. jimlau Win User

Re-Install From USB Drive Error

I am using the same bootable windows 10 installation thumb drive to do a clean install of windows 10. I've done it multiple times in recent days. However, suddenly when doing it again I get this error:

"your pc/device needs to be repaired. the boot configuration data does not contain valid information for an operating system"

Anyone know what could have happened, and how to resolve this? Not sure I can boot from the thumb drive and access any repair modes.

I do have a windows 10 SSD working, a second SSD blank, and the USB Windows installation thumb drive that seems to be working when I click on it.

Is there a way to install Windows 10 onto a clean drive on my PC that also has a working second drive on the same computer, with or without the thumb drive? Then I could remove the source disk and just be left with the new clean install disk as my PC disk. And cloning won't work as the new drive is smaller.

Thanks.

:)

jimlau, Aug 19, 2017

2. Can't create a windows 10 setup USB

I wanted to create an USB drive to re-install windows on my PC again but i got the error code 0x80070020 - 0x90017.

rexthecapt, Aug 19, 2017
  3. Win 10, no boot, no safe mode, no system restore, Status_Wait_3 error, 0x80070003 , bootrec commands successful, but still no boot, what else?

So I booted from the USB drive and went to the command prompt, re-entered the boot repair commands and this time 0 windows installations were found. Re-booted without the USB drive and got the same critical process failure as before (stopcode).

Alan in Viriginia, Aug 19, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Are you deleting the previous partitions and installing to the unallocated space?

NavyLCDR, Aug 19, 2017
  5. jimlau Win User
    I don't get that far. It crashes before any options available.

jimlau, Aug 19, 2017
  6. jimlau Win User
    strange - just tried the drive in another computer, and the installation thumb drive does work in that 1. I tried the drive in 2 different USB ports in the computer I want to do a clean install in and it did not.

jimlau, Aug 19, 2017
  7. jimlau Win User
    Success! I created another bootable drive and it works. I created it on the computer I will be installing on. So my problem must have been either my original installation thumb drive got corrupted, or it matters which computer I make the thumb drive on. I would guess not the latter. Guess it got corrupted.

Thanks for all input.

jimlau, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Re-Install From USB Drive Error - Similar Threads - Install USB Drive

2. Windows 10 error code 0x800700b7 - From USB re-install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 error code 0x800700b7 - From USB re-install: Hi, My PC was powered down without a proper shut down and it has caused a lot of problems. Nothing seems to work on auto repairing the PC which is very dissapointing from Microsoft that something so small can create an issue so problematic. I cant boot the PC at all so I...
  3. Windows 10 re-installation from bootable USB drive

Windows 10 re-installation from bootable USB drive: Hi, I downloaded the Windows 10 installation media from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10%20 to my formatted USB drive. I then followed the setup instructions to download Win 10 installation media on the USB drive. It took me~6 hrs for the whole...
  4. Re-Formatted USB Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-Formatted USB Drive: I recently booted Windows 10 onto some old laptops, my original attempt using this USB Drive, but the laptops were so old I ended up having to use a disc. When I reformatted the USB Drive 64gb to a format where I could use it as a normal drive, the storage on it was cut in...
  5. Windows not installing from usb drive

Windows not installing from usb drive: Recently formatted my SSD to clear up space which also meant i has to reinstall windows. I have a bootable usb where i can initiate the installation, but it never finishes. After the first automatic restart i get sent back to the setup screen forcing me to restart the...
  6. Installation W10 from USB drive

Installation W10 from USB drive: I haven HP laptop HP Pavilion g6 with BIOS InsydeH20 rev 3.5. I did not succeed to boot from USB drive for installing W10 Pro original license. I tried all alternatives and it seems that it does not support booting from USB drive. What alternatives do I have? Thanks....
  7. Errors Installing Windows 10 from USB Drive

Errors Installing Windows 10 from USB Drive: Processor: 8th Gen i5 8500, Motherboard MSI Mortar Z370M I have tried to install Windows 10 using a USB drive on this newly built rig and am completely stumped. For Background: 1. I have attempted the install using two different thumb drives. 2. I have used 3 different...
  8. Install from USB partitioned drive?

Install from USB partitioned drive?: Hi guys, Wondering if anyone can tell me if this is doable. So I bought myself a 250gb m.2 sata ssd, and put it into the Silverstone MS09 m. 2 to USB enclosure to use as a USB thumb drive. My plan was to have a partition of around 10GB that I would use rufus to create a boot...
  9. Re-Installing W10 from USB onto a VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Re-Installing W10 from USB onto a VM: I have - a licensed/activated Windows 10 10586.545 Dutch as VM (Ultimate version) - Windows 10 anniversary update English, on USB (created using Media Creation Tool) I would like the Dutch .545 be replaced by English Anniversary Update version. Resetting the VM...
  10. Can't install from USB drive

Can't install from USB drive: Hello guys, So I've come up with this issue that I hope you can help me with. I have installed Windows 10 from a USB drive in many computers and never had any problems.. The PC in question has originally Windows 7 and then upgraded to Windows 10 via that free update. But...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. error code 0x80070020 - 0x90017

2. 0x80070020 - 0x90017