Windows 10: Re-install Win10 on a free upgrade from Win7 computer with crashed Harddrive

Discus and support Re-install Win10 on a free upgrade from Win7 computer with crashed Harddrive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My hard drive crashed, and I need to reinstall Windows on a new hard drive. I've got a Win7 license and used the free upgrade to Win10. Is it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by LarsEriksson3, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Re-install Win10 on a free upgrade from Win7 computer with crashed Harddrive

My hard drive crashed, and I need to reinstall Windows on a new hard drive.

I've got a Win7 license and used the free upgrade to Win10.

1. Is it possible to reinstall?

I'm uncertain about the process:
    2. Should I download Win7 with another computer? if so, where?
    3. ..and then put it on a USB? if so, wher?
    4. ..and then install it on my new hard drive?
    5. When do I put in the Product Key?
    6. When do I upgrade to Win10? and how?

Please let me know how to go about this.

Regards

/Lars

:)

LarsEriksson3, Jun 10, 2019

2. Win7 Gateway Computer fails Win10 Upgrade

I am covered under the late Win10 upgrade ending Dec 2017.

I attempted 6 upgrades to Win10 -- all failing - each time trying to address a potential concern.

Win10 Upgrade says that the computer is fully capable for the upgrade and begins downloading the files then moving in the installing process.

The process totally locks up at 75% at which time a reset is applied. The computer restarts and continues to 81% thereby totally locking up again.

The reset - restart at this point goes into Win7 Home recover mode.

One of my attempts was to totally load a fresh version of Win7 from my installation disk and making sure the latest Win7 drivers were being used.

A internet search suggested that this model of Gateway computer was not able to be upgraded to Win10 yet the Win10 upgrade process stated that all was well.

Please note - no anti-virus - no programs - just a fresh Win7 installation.

I did find some Win8 Gateway drivers available but did not load them as I did not know if that would break the Win7 OS.

After one of the Win7 recovery process completed, Windows reported the upgrade failed do to error C1900101-4000D. A Internet search of the error code states it is do to a driver related issue - hence my concentration on drivers.

I would like to upgrade this computer but I have no idea as how to proceed.

Can some direction be provided.

Thanks

joehinkle1, Jun 10, 2019
  3. Scoobydu Win User
    homegroup win10 not recognize printer & scanner on win7 computer

Thank you so much for the quick response to my problem.

my devices I am trying to access on the win7 computer are:

Printer: Stylus Photo R200

Scanner: Perfection 4180

I had these originally on my computer B4 win10 install. After the install they did not work. That is why I connected to my other win7 computer. The win7 is within my Homegroup and when I access thru win10 I get access to docs, picts, videos, etc but not
    the above devices. Reversing this, accessing my win10 computer from the win7, I get the icon my Epson Workforce 310 printer which I set up on the win7 computer for printing as well as the above devices.

Went to Epson website on the win7 comp & found the recommended driver for win7. Did the same on the win10 comp to find drivers for win10. (Did not update these drivers yet.) Apparently they have 2 different drivers dependent on WIN version. Both drivers
    are up to date.

Is it possible the drivers are not compatible and this accounts for these devices not showing up on the win10 machine? Don't know if win10 driver will work on win7. I may try to set these up on win10 machine. If work can upgrade win7 to win10.

I tried steps 1 & 2. Step 3, I know I have devices set to show on the network.

Any other suggestions/comments??

Scoobydu, Jun 10, 2019
  4. Re-install Win10 on a free upgrade from Win7 computer with crashed Harddrive

Upgraded from WIN7 to WIN10, WIN10 not activating

I 'upgraded' from Win7 to Win10. The install failed and my laptop crashed. After advice from tech support I wiped my drive and did a fresh install of Win10. Now the product key does not work / is not recognised. Any ideas???

MaraBelmonte, Jun 10, 2019
Thema:

Re-install Win10 on a free upgrade from Win7 computer with crashed Harddrive

1. Re-install Win10 on a free upgrade from Win7 computer with crashed Harddrive - Similar Threads - install Win10 free

2. Wiping Win10 PC that was upgraded from win7 free

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wiping Win10 PC that was upgraded from win7 free: So, I'm selling my custom build PC of 3 years, and I just want to make sure I do this right. I originally bought a win7 pro key (not sure what kind) and installed windows 7 with that and then upgraded to windows 10 via the free upgrade. I want to wipe the PC now. Will the...
  3. Re-Installation Question - Free Upgade from Win7 - No Media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-Installation Question - Free Upgade from Win7 - No Media: So I have Windows 10 Pro Ver. 1909 It was a free upgrade from Microsoft over my previous Windows 7 Ultimate. I have no physical copy of Windows 10, nor any installation media other then some "upgrade" files that were downloaded from Microsoft to my USB Stick. So.. I have...
  4. upgrade problems from win7 to win10

upgrade problems from win7 to win10: Hi, Having some issues upgrading a windows 7 system to windows 10. Ran the MS upgrade using mediacreationtool1909.exe on an older AMD processor (Athlon II X2 250 3.00ghz 32 bit) and the supporting motherboard, no other devices. It ran for awhile and then failed with this...
  5. upgrading from win7 to win10

upgrading from win7 to win10: I can't find HP ProtectTools Device Access Manager to uninstall. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win7-to-win10/f289a046-d68b-471b-8f6f-de8ed5ccafa6
  6. Retrying win10 upgrade from win7

Retrying win10 upgrade from win7: I accidently downloaded and tried to install the 32 bit version. My system is 64 bit. The download/install goes through the steps until it gets to 27%. I've tried three times It stops the install and resets the system back to win7. The error code is "0x8007005-0x2000A...
  7. free upgrade to win10 from oem win7 pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    free upgrade to win10 from oem win7 pro: i have another laptop with pre-installed of win7 pro. its oem license and activated. i can download win10 media creation tools from microsoft website and installed it into that laptop and that win10 shows it is activated. my question is do i need to purchase license for win10...
  8. re-use of Win7 upgrade dvds after Win10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    re-use of Win7 upgrade dvds after Win10 upgrade: I have some Win 7 upgrade dvds from Microsoft, previously used on pc's that have now been upgraded to Win 10. Q: Can I use a Win 7 upgrade on an old Win XP unit ? Will it be refused as an already used key ? What I am aiming to accomplish is after getting the XP machine...
  9. Upgrading from win7 to win10

Upgrading from win7 to win10: Hello, I have 4 PCs; I was able to upgrade 3, but the fourth one the desktop I couldn't upgrade it. I followed all the workarounds and solution were offered I downloaded the Windows Creation Tool and still cannot update. What should I do? 13716
  10. Win10 Upgraded from Win7 - new build need to re-install O/S

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 Upgraded from Win7 - new build need to re-install O/S: HiWhats the best procedure to reinstall Win10, if you took the free upgrade from Win7? i'm now on the Win10 Creators edition, but changing everything over this weekend, new mobo, gpu ........ and so on. What's the procedure seeing that this is completely new hardware......

Users found this page by searching for:

1. re-install win10 used win7 dvd from a friend