Windows 10: re-install Windows 10 from Virtual Machine as the host OS

Discus and support re-install Windows 10 from Virtual Machine as the host OS in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have W10 set up within Virtualbox running on Linux, but as I'm finding I'm using it more I'd like to replace my linux distribution with the W10 OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MarkyMuz, Mar 11, 2020.

1. MarkyMuz Win User

re-install Windows 10 from Virtual Machine as the host OS

I have W10 set up within Virtualbox running on Linux, but as I'm finding I'm using it more I'd like to replace my linux distribution with the W10 OS from my Virtualbox. If I create a backup USB and do a fresh install on the physical machine, can I re-use the same Windows licence key? I appreciate this is possible when replacing hard-disks in PCs, but while this is similar will Windows think it's being installed on a different machine entirely and ask for a different key?

:)

MarkyMuz, Mar 11, 2020

2. Installing Windows 10 on a virtual machine

I am trying to install Windows 10 32-bit on a virtual machine...the host was recently upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7

I created an ISO to install the operating system, but when I run it, it just shows a black screen with the Windows logo on it..

I am not sure what else to try for a next step

MikeDeanGR, Mar 11, 2020
  3. acw260 Win User
    Virtualisation on Windows 10 host machine

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 and some software I use is not supported. It has been suggested that I run a virtual earlier Windows machine using my Windows 10 OS as the host. I'm new to virtualisation. Will Hyper-V run on a host Windows 10 OS? Is
    there a more appropriate virtualisation package I should be looking at?

Any advice appreciated.

acw260, Mar 11, 2020
  4. Sireiii Win User

Legality of Cloning Host OS to a Virtual Machine

Hello, I have a question regarding virtual machines and Windows. I apologize if this has already been asked. I have a situation where I would want to test a piece of malware on a Windows virtual machine, but I have no product keys available. I am wondering
    if it would be legal to clone my host operating system (Windows 10 Pro) into a virtual machine (guest) that will be running on the same exact machine as the host, or would that be considered software piracy as I would not be using two product keys? I am aware
    of how one could do this illegally, but I do not wish to do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. re-install Windows 10 from Virtual Machine as the host OS :)

Sireiii, Mar 11, 2020
Thema:

1. re-install Windows 10 from Virtual Machine as the host OS - Similar Threads - install Virtual Machine

2. Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine: I just purchased a license for Win 10 Pro to install on a Virtual Machine hosted on a new Dell Laptop running Win 11 Pro. The Microsoft website did not allow me to buy a Win 11 License/product key, which would have been preferred since I plan to use this VM to test Win 11...
  3. Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine: I just purchased a license for Win 10 Pro to install on a Virtual Machine hosted on a new Dell Laptop running Win 11 Pro. The Microsoft website did not allow me to buy a Win 11 License/product key, which would have been preferred since I plan to use this VM to test Win 11...
  4. Windows 10 Install on Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Does running virtual machines ruin your host os

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Does running virtual machines ruin your host os: I have a windows 10 PC. Recently I started running virtual machines using the virtual box. I would like to know whether running another os in your computer apart from a single os ruin your PC. Thank you....
  6. Virtual machine not installing windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Virtual machine not installing windows: I decided to install Windows 10 as a VM on my iPhone using QEMU, but I'm forced to use 1GB for RAM and the x86 build. Slow as heck. After restarting, it prepares devices, "getting ready" for 15 mins and then boom - black screen. Not off, of course, it's black. The backlight...
  7. KVM Virtual Machines -- Host access from the VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    KVM Virtual Machines -- Host access from the VM: Hi there Don't do this on a LIVE distro though as these aren't persistent so you won't be able to save changes !!!! A good way of playing with this stuff without touching any Internal HDD's is to install the Linux system on an external HDD (SSD is better) connected via...
  8. Re-installed Windows 10 on re-installed virtual machine but cannot activate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-installed Windows 10 on re-installed virtual machine but cannot activate: I have a digital licence for Windows 10 Pro which was linked to my Microsoft account prior to my deleting my virtual machine and re-installing it. It's running on an Apple Mac. Having now re-installed Windows 10, I am having problems activating it. On initially looking at my...
  9. Virtual Machine with same harddisk and OS

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual Machine with same harddisk and OS: I need to run a macro that has to be played for 350 times and each macro takes around 4 mins to complete. The macros are fully independent that requires no supervision. So I am planning to make a virtual machine so that I can split the time in half. The macro requires Chrome,...
  10. Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10: How do I set up a Virtual Machine in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installing-a-virtual-machine-in-windows-10/c3a94127-bdd5-46cd-b220-3e754f0e4bc9