Windows 10: Re-Installed Win10 - 2ndary hard drive is not recognized

Discus and support Re-Installed Win10 - 2ndary hard drive is not recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I've had Win7 on this machine since I bought it. Went through the ... upgrade several years back to Win10. That stunk so I went with a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BrooksAD, Feb 15, 2020.

1. BrooksAD Win User

Re-Installed Win10 - 2ndary hard drive is not recognized

Hello,

I've had Win7 on this machine since I bought it. Went through the ... upgrade several years back to Win10. That stunk so I went with a new install in order to resolve a lot of the issues I was having back then. This was years ago. After that install, I added a 2nd hard drive to this machine for extra storage. Over the years, the O/S has been bogging down. I'm sure there were registry issues, etc. but I decided to reinstall the O/S again and go with a fresh start.

I backed everything up, except what was on that 2nd hard drive. Did the install. Now Windows treats the drive format as RAW instead of NTFS and wants to format it when I try to access it. Have well over 12 years of work on that drive and cannot let that happen. What's the deal? Why wouldn't it remain as an NTFS drive like previous versions used to treat other hard drives. AND, how can I get it back online so I can access my files?

Is this just a driver issue for that hard drive or what is the best way to deal with this? The hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 1tb SATA drive.

Thank you!

Brooks

:)

BrooksAD, Feb 15, 2020

2. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Feb 15, 2020
  3. vallero Win User
    external hard drive not recognized

Hello zbook
    #1) I have tested the external drives in three different computers, win10 pro, Win10, and XP. The results are identical. When I plug in the external hard drive windows signals a new device with an audio signal and the light comes on on the external drive. The results on all three pc's is identical in disk manager, file explorer and device manager.
    #2) I have tried all solutions presented to me by FreeBooter, from the simplest solution of uninstalling the external drive in device manager and rebooting windows, to using the various third party software that was suggested, obviously with out success.
    #3) The attached screen shots will only show one of the drives attached because I don't have enough free USB ports to attach two drives and I didn't think it would have been a good idea to use a hub.
    #4) one strange thing about one of the drives is that now device manager lists it as a Toshiba drive although it is a Western Digital.
    #5) Sorry but I have no way of getting a photo of BIOS

Re-Installed Win10 - 2ndary hard drive is not recognized [​IMG]

I look forward to reading your comments

vallero, Feb 15, 2020
  4. sttubs Win User

Ext Hdd not always recognized since upgrading to Win 10

I've noticed since upgrading from Win7 to Win10 my external hard drive is not recognized all of the time. I hear the connection sound that Windows makes but my hard drive is not listed & cannot be accessed. The drive's health checks out just fine & still easily connects to another Win7 machine. Is this common with Win10, any fixes?

sttubs, Feb 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Re-Installed Win10 - 2ndary hard drive is not recognized - Similar Threads - Installed Win10 2ndary

2. Re-Partition Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-Partition Hard Drive?: Hello, since I first bought my new HP Pavilion it came set up with 118GB for the C drive and 931GB for the D drive. All of the software I install quickly takes up space in my C drive so I am constantly having to delete things to make room. I have a lot of software needed for...
  3. Reformatting Hard Drive and Re-installing Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reformatting Hard Drive and Re-installing Windows 10: My system was running really slow and I figured I had some spyware or malware dragging it. I reinstalled Windows 10 using the option to delete all files. After the re44install I'm having the same problem. On previous systems I have deleted the C: partition in DOS, then...
  4. SimpleTech Hard Drive Not Recognized

SimpleTech Hard Drive Not Recognized: When I plug in an external hard drive to my laptop the drive is not recognized and Windows says the drive malfunctioned The error is given during the installation of its USB driver. I mean the driver that Windows installs when connecting a device to a USB port. The drive...
  5. Second hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second hard drive not recognized: Hi, I bought an additional used 2.5" HDD (1TB Toshiba MQ02ABF100) for my desktop which has an ASUS Motherboard ROG Strix B350-I Gaming. Since I already had an external 2.5" drive (512gb Western Digital WD5000BEVT) in a USB caddy, before installing the 1TB in my desktop, I...
  6. Hard drive not recognized

Hard drive not recognized: My second Hard Drive is not recognized. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-recognized/e93a541f-2e22-4896-88ab-3c2042aec8a6
  7. Hard drive not recognized

Hard drive not recognized: Hey, I got a new hard drive today and for some reason I am unable to add it to my already existing ssd drive that my pc desktop currently runs on. I have tried going into create and format hard disk partitions and allocating the “unallocated disk” but there isn’t any drive...
  8. external hard drive not recognized

external hard drive not recognized: I had storage spaces From windows 8.1 that computer went down I moved Storage spaces to another computer. windows 10 machine. Everything works. I was able to Copy those files to another drives. now I want to reuse those drives but only let me rename it not to remove. I...
  9. Hard drive not recognized

Hard drive not recognized: suddenly my external hard drive is not showing up in my pc however i can see it in devices and printers how can i fix this problem without losing all the information on my hard drive?...
  10. Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive: I have a boot hard drive failing. I wanted to re-install my Windows 10 and accounts software back on to a new disk. I want to know how I can back up what is on the failing disk so that I can re-install it on the new disk. The guidance in windows 10 is woeful and it has failed...