Windows 10: Re-installed Windows 10 on re-installed virtual machine but cannot activate

Discus and support Re-installed Windows 10 on re-installed virtual machine but cannot activate in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a digital licence for Windows 10 Pro which was linked to my Microsoft account prior to my deleting my virtual machine and re-installing it. It's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by KenClaydon, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Re-installed Windows 10 on re-installed virtual machine but cannot activate

I have a digital licence for Windows 10 Pro which was linked to my Microsoft account prior to my deleting my virtual machine and re-installing it. It's running on an Apple Mac. Having now re-installed Windows 10, I am having problems activating it. On initially looking at my Microsoft account I could see two devices with the same name. I used the troubleshooter under Activation and tried to link to these Devices but it didn't work. I then deleted the Device that I thought was the old one but it may have been the new one (same name). Anyway, the end result is that I now have no PC Devices showing in my Microsoft account and cannot get my version activated.

It is a fully licenced version that was running fine before I re-installed it. I saw a reference to a Powershell command in another posting so have done that and the output is shown below. Thanks.

Re-installed Windows 10 on re-installed virtual machine but cannot activate def3c40d-281d-421c-a434-7785b247843f?upload=true.jpg

:)

KenClaydon, Jul 7, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

Please get a cup of coffee, lean back and think an answer for these two questions. Take your time, then check the answers below the questions:

Questions:
    1. If you do a clean install of let's say Windows 10 Insider Build 10525 on a totally new computer which has never had an activated Windows 10 on it, does it activate?
    2. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 Insider Build on a computer where the underlying Windows 10, upgraded from a qualifying old operating system has already been activated, does it activate?

Answers:
    1. No, of course not.
    2. Yes, of course.

Why do you think that a virtual machine would make any difference? You have tried to install Windows 10 on a totally new machine which has never had an activated Windows 10 installed, therefore the Microsoft activation servers block the activation due invalid machine ID. In the highlighted part in below quote you admit your mistake yourself, plain and simple, yet you when doing this wrong draw conclusion that even if done correctly it would not work:

What you have tried is essentially the same as if you took a brand new real physical PC without any operating system, which has never had any operating system, and then installed Windows 10 Insider Preview wondering why it does not activate! Virtual Machines behave exactly the same way; if you want to clean install Windows 10 Insider Preview and get it activated you must do it on an existing virtual machine, one which has already had an upgraded Windows 10 activated. This "computer", the virtual machine, its machine ID is marked on activation servers as valid and activated and it will of course activate.

Be it a virtual machine or a physical computer, you cannot activate a clean installed Windows 10 Insider Preview on a totally new machine. How difficult can this be to understand?

When clean installing Windows 10 Insider Preview on a computer which has already had a previous Windows 10 Insider activated, you do not use the product key! It will be asked twice, once before the installation starts and once after the last reboot to OOBE phase. In both cases you skip the product key and your Windows will be automatically activated.

Kari, Jul 7, 2019
  3. groze Win User
    Clean install of W10 not possible in Virtual Machine.

@Kari

You can do clean install with windows 10 but it won't activate on Virtual Machine at least it didn't on mine. I followed the proper steps to do that.

Again I will repeat what I did step by step with some additions.

Step 1 Installed windows 7 retail on a virtual box, it activated without issue.
    Step 2 changed the virtual box description to windows 10
    Step 3 upgrade to windows 10 and it activated without issue
    Step 4 backed up (So I could go back to it later)
    Step 5 Removed windows 10.
    Step 6 created a new virtual machine
    Step 7 Installed clean windows 10 and it didn't activate and did that error code see below.

@night-hawk had a similar issue and got the same error code

Error code: 0xC004C003 with the specified product key being blocked

Night Hawk does it make a difference on what version of Virtual box that you are using?

My testing was done on Xubuntu using VirtualBox Graphical user interface version 4.3.26-Ubuntu r98988

groze, Jul 7, 2019
  4. S_and_S Win User

Re-installed Windows 10 on re-installed virtual machine but cannot activate

Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Step #1 is to decide which virtual machine software you wish to install.

The three most popular choices are:

• VirtualBox (from Oracle)
    • VMWare Workstation Player (from VMWare); and
    • Hyper-V (from Microsoft)

Once you've made your choice you can find detailed, illustrated instructions for installing each one on the internet.

As a personal suggestion: You might find it easier to use either VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation Player. Hyper-V is more complicated to setup.

Between VirtualBox and VMWare, I think you'll find VirtualBox more user-friendly, and it has the advantage of allowing you to create checkpoints - backups of your virtual machine - whereas to do that in VMWare you'll need to upgrade to their (expensive!)
    paid version.

S_and_S, Jul 7, 2019
Thema:

Re-installed Windows 10 on re-installed virtual machine but cannot activate

1. Re-installed Windows 10 on re-installed virtual machine but cannot activate - Similar Threads - installed installed virtual

2. Re-installed Windows and it cannot find the activation key.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-installed Windows and it cannot find the activation key.: I just reseted windows on my latpop and it seems it cannot find the windows key to activate it.It was purchased in 2015 with a Windows 7 license and an option to upgrade to Windows 10. It has worked well since.I did not make any hardware change or anything like that.I ran the...
  3. Re-installed Windows and it cannot find the activation key.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-installed Windows and it cannot find the activation key.: I just reseted windows on my latpop and it seems it cannot find the windows key to activate it.It was purchased in 2015 with a Windows 7 license and an option to upgrade to Windows 10. It has worked well since.I did not make any hardware change or anything like that.I ran the...
  4. Re-activation and re-licencing pre- installed windows.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Re-activation and re-licencing pre- installed windows.: My laptop has a pre installed windows 10 home on hard drive. Now I want to upgrade that to new ssd and want to do clean installation, so if I do that and in any case windows failed to recognise my laptop what should I do then ?...
  5. Windows 10 Home cannot be activated after re-installation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home cannot be activated after re-installation: I had an activated installation of Windows 10 Home on my machine. I recently re-installed Windows 10 Home on my machine, using the "Reset this PC" option under the "Recovery" menu Windows Settings >> Update & Security >> Recovery >> Reset this PC The re-installation was...
  6. re-install Windows 10 from Virtual Machine as the host OS

re-install Windows 10 from Virtual Machine as the host OS: I have W10 set up within Virtualbox running on Linux, but as I'm finding I'm using it more I'd like to replace my linux distribution with the W10 OS from my Virtualbox. If I create a backup USB and do a fresh install on the physical machine, can I re-use the same Windows...
  7. Re installing bluetooth device on machine

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Re installing bluetooth device on machine: My hp elitebook 8440p lost blue tooth device after installing windows 10. Kindly help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-installing-bluetooth-device-on-machine/225eff11-2609-4827-8a71-5a6c36eb3bc6
  8. Re-install 10 on dualboot machine

Re-install 10 on dualboot machine: Hi all,I have a question about dual-booting.I have 10 as my first operating system.After that I installed 8.1 and I dual-boot.My ? is,I want to install a fresh copy of 10.Will that affect 8.1 partition in any way. Thank-you,Tony. 132207
  9. Re-install 10 on dualboot machine

in Windows 10 Support
    Re-install 10 on dualboot machine: Hi all,I have a question about dual-booting.I have 10 as my first operating system.After that I installed 8.1 and I dual-boot.My ? is,I want to install a fresh copy of 10.Will that affect 8.1 partition in any way. Thank-you,Tony. 132207
  10. windows 10 re install and activation

windows 10 re install and activation: there was windows 10 home edition preinstalled. But I want to reinstall it by downloading it. and I don't know if I can re activate it without buying it. because I don't have any activation key or something. any suggestions sir/ma'am?...