Windows 10: Re-installed Windows and now my user folder name is completely different

Discus and support Re-installed Windows and now my user folder name is completely different in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Prior to installing windows my file path was C:/User/[first and last name] but ever since reinstalling windows this has changed to "camer". I never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CCUS16, Jan 11, 2020.

1. CCUS16 Win User

Re-installed Windows and now my user folder name is completely different

Prior to installing windows my file path was C:/User/[first and last name] but ever since reinstalling windows this has changed to "camer".

I never put this in so why the hell has it done this. It isn't even my whole name, part of it has been cut off. Not happy.

:)

CCUS16, Jan 11, 2020

2. User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jan 11, 2020
  3. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Re-installed Windows and now my user folder name is completely different ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Jan 11, 2020
  4. KidmanPE Win User

User Account folder name

Well... that accomplished absolutely nothing! F2 alone brought up my volume bar. Ctrl-F2 = nothing! Fn-F2 = nothing! And, finally, Alt-F2 = nothing! What's supposed to happen when I "click" the User [my (sorta) name] folder and press the F2 key?!

KidmanPE, Jan 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Re-installed Windows and now my user folder name is completely different - Similar Threads - installed user folder

2. User folder name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User folder name: I set up my new pc and it's showing as C:\Users\User. I've noticed from reading and watching online people they have their name or a user account name ie C:Users\Tim. I'm the only person using my pc, should I set myself up as a new User, or should I just change the folder...
  3. User's folder name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User's folder name: Hi,I am using Windows 11. My username is different from that of the folder in C, Users. When I installed Windows, I filled out a kind of interactive form and connected to Windows with my Microsoft account. Fortunately, I managed to turn it into a local account from the...
  4. User Folder Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Folder Name: So earlier I accidentally merged my music folder with my user folder, so in my C:\User directory instead of seeing C:\Users\MyName I saw C:\Users\Music. I did fix this problem but my user folder name is still music instead of my name. I also can't rename the folder back to my...
  5. Re-Name Multiple Folders To Same Name.

Re-Name Multiple Folders To Same Name.: How Do I Re-Name Multiple Folders To Same Name? I Have about 2,000 folders all different names, want to put all their contents into a Single Folder. So if I rename all the folders to the same name, that should do it....
  6. 2 different user names

2 different user names: Hello I have 2 different user names under Windows C: >Users. it will allow me to rename one but not the other. I am not sure why I have 2. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2-different-user-names/36033fc7-8cd0-46b9-981e-e03db32c1547
  7. Change user name and user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Change user name and user folder name: My Lenovo/Windows setup has chosen a stupid user name for me, shortened from the first letters of my MS account ID. How do I safely change my user name on my PC, and more importantly, my c:\users\user folder name whilst maintaining my Windows account name for logging in etc?...
  8. User folder name.

User folder name.: The folder name under 'C' users has missing characters. It isn't spelt that way anywhere else, be it in the MS account or the local one. Can I edit the name without wrecking my PC apart?! Also, it happens to be the only account on the PC. I don't understand the complexity MS...
  9. User folder name...

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User folder name...: I've re-installed Win10 Home via the media creation tool. Everything is where it should be and my account is working just fine. But... For some reason my personal folder under C:/Users is named after the first five letters of my Email instead of my real first name, which is...
  10. Different installs - different user names

in Windows 10 Support
    Different installs - different user names: Over time I had a few retail licenses for Windows 7(seven) Pro and one Windows 10 x64 retail. In the Windows Explorer->Help->About, they show different users under licensed to. One old (blabla at hotmail) and one new (blabla at outlook.com) They are both correct. I don't...