Windows 10: Re-installing Cortana

Discus and support Re-installing Cortana in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently had a session weeding out old programs from my PC, and in the process made copious use of CCleaner to clean up the registry and get rid of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Teflon, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Teflon Win User

Re-installing Cortana

I recently had a session weeding out old programs from my PC, and in the process made copious use of CCleaner to clean up the registry and get rid of all the junk.

All went well, and my PC is running nice and quick, however, today I noticed that Cortana is absent from the task bar. Right clicking on the task bar gives me the option of showing the search icon (not Cortana) and if I do this, the search button does nothing. Similarly, I can find an entry for Cortana in the all apps listing on the start menu, but clicking it does nothing. If I do a search for Cortana in the search menu, it brings up an entry for "Cortana & Search Settings System Settings" but again, clicking this does nothing. *cry

I'm not a great believer in co-incidences, so suspect that at some point during my great clean up excercise, I have somehow managed to remove some or all of Cortana from the PC. So, does anyone here know if there is a way of re-installing or repairing Cortana short of doing a re-install of Windows?

Cheers,

Cliff

:)

Teflon, Aug 9, 2015

2. Cortana Live Tile No Longer Available After 14393.576

Hi Everyone,

After the latest update to Windows my Cortana live tile has disappeared and I can't seem to re-enable it. As well, in the Notification Center Cortana now appears as Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!.....

I am guessing something didn't install properly during the update? Does anyone know of a fix to re-install or re-initialize Cortana? Or does this require a complete reset and re installation of the phone software?

Thanks,

-Nick

nismonick7, Aug 9, 2015
  3. Reinstalling Cortana Fully.

Cortana re-install

josephdonahoe1, Aug 9, 2015
  4. Re-installing Cortana

Sounds very similar if not the same to my post. Thing is I didn't use Ccleaner at the time it disappeared. I did after Cortana stopped responding and existing.

If you were to create a new user profile or log into an another existing one does it work?

Anonymous7x7, Aug 11, 2015
  5. Teflon Win User
    You're right - it does sound like the same issue - perhaps it isn't related to my use of CCleaner afterall then. Like you, I only get the option of having "search" on the toolbar (not Cortana) and I cannot access any settings relating to Cortana. It's as if Cortana has been wiped from the system.

I logged in as my wife to try another user account and that did not solve the issue, although it did create another amusing game, as it re-sized all my startup tiles to large and mixed all the groups up - lots of fun! I am now back in my own account, having re-sized and re-arranged all start menu icons (the change carried over to my account) and find that the keys for @ and " have been swapped over. Oh how happy am I!

Cliff

Teflon, Aug 11, 2015
  6. Teflon Win User
    Thanks to some useful info provided by Forum user Cliff S, my PC is now fixed!

The issue was linked to location services, which need to be set to "on" in the Action Centre. When I attempted to do this, I found the option was greyed out, which lead to looking at which services were currently running (via "Services.msc"). It transpired that "Geolocation service" was disabled, and I was unable to restart it. A bit of Googling took me to an MS support site, which said this was a known issue with Win 10:

"Geolocation

After disabling the Geolocation Service by changing startup type to Disabled, attempts to re-enable it will fail with an error message. As the Geolocation Service can no longer be started, Geolocation will remain disabled on the device and prevent location based functionality from working. To work around this issue, manually delete the following regkey using regedit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lfsvc\TriggerInfo\3."

I edited the registry as described, and sure enough, after a re-boot, the Geolocation service could then be started. I opened MS Config, and made sure it was set to run at startup, re-booted again, and once Win 10 had started up, my "Location" button was live, along with an all singing and dancing Cortana.

Hopefully, this may help anyone else who may have a similar issue.

Cheers,

Cliff

Teflon, Aug 15, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    Thanks, glad I found this. But I have no idea how 'location' became disabled, as was the Geolocation service.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Re-installing Cortana

1. Re-installing Cortana - Similar Threads - installing Cortana

2. Can't Install Cortana After An accidentally Uninstall.

in Cortana
    Can't Install Cortana After An accidentally Uninstall.: Hi, I Accidentally Permanently deleted Cortana from the Windows by PowerShelland tried to search for it on the Microsoft store but there is no download Button.Can anyone help me in installing it again by any Way?Thanks...
  3. Can't Install Cortana After An accidentally Uninstall.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Install Cortana After An accidentally Uninstall.: Hi, I Accidentally Permanently deleted Cortana from the Windows by PowerShelland tried to search for it on the Microsoft store but there is no download Button.Can anyone help me in installing it again by any Way?Thanks...
  4. Can't Install Cortana After An accidentally Uninstall.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Cortana is broken on a new install and i Have no idea how to correct it.

in Cortana
    Cortana is broken on a new install and i Have no idea how to correct it.: So I installed my microphone than I clicked on Cortana to activate it with Her and all she gives me is loop as you see in the screenshot Cortana tells me to goto speech I go there and it's already turned on so I turned it off restarted and turned it back on and she still...
  6. Cortana is broken on a new install and i Have no idea how to correct it.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana is broken on a new install and i Have no idea how to correct it.: So I installed my microphone than I clicked on Cortana to activate it with Her and all she gives me is loop as you see in the screenshot Cortana tells me to goto speech I go there and it's already turned on so I turned it off restarted and turned it back on and she still...
  7. Cortana is broken on a new install and i Have no idea how to correct it.

8. "There’s a problem with Cortana. Reinstall the application from its original install...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "There’s a problem with Cortana. Reinstall the application from its original install...: Ever since a few days ago, everything related to the default windows apps has stopped working. No start menu, no notification bar, no settings, no search, etc.At startup, it spits out this message: "There’s a problem with Cortana. Reinstall the application from its original...
  9. "There’s a problem with Cortana. Reinstall the application from its original install...

"There’s a problem with Cortana. Reinstall the application from its original install...: Ever since a few days ago, everything related to the default windows apps has stopped working. No start menu, no notification bar, no settings, no search, etc.At startup, it spits out this message: "There’s a problem with Cortana. Reinstall the application from its original...
  10. "There’s a problem with Cortana. Reinstall the application from its original install...

in Cortana